Balance Bike

find_bruce

Re: Balance Bike

Postby find_bruce » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:56 pm

MattyK wrote:Some good reading even though a little dated:
http://tview29.wordpress.com/2008/12/02 ... erun-bikes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=14673" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks for the info. Just to note that the thread you linked to won't work anymore as a Mod kindly moved it to this forum & merged it with this thread so all the info is back in one place & accessible.
MattyK wrote:Toddlers and young kids have no preconceived ideas of good vs bad bikes, they will just get on and ride regardless of looks, quality, weight, etc. Almost any feature set requirement will be to pacify your own senses and desires, not theirs. So just pick your budget and go for it.
That is so true in relation to pretty much everything with kids.
MattyK wrote:PS subpoint about saddles: on a balance bike much more weight is borne on the saddle (due to the lack of pedals). And propulsion forces are quite different to a pedal bike (ie front to back, not top to bottom). So saddles should account for this, but few seem to, and most (on metal framed balance bikes) are bicycle styled which I'm not convinced is the best for forward propulsion and comfort. My daughter ended up complaining of a sore crotch after one long ride. Many of the wooden balance bikes use more of a wider spoon shape that I suspect may be better suited. I have no real evidence to back this up though, just conjecture...
Perhaps I should forget your earlier remarks & get the BMW :D

Thanks mikedufty & high_tea, it is sounding like kids love em all. Is it wrong that I am laughing with you about your boy high_tea ? I can imagine my little terrorist doing just that. He is so grabby with bikes I am even contemplating keeping my commuter clean so his hands don't get so filthy

mikedufty

Postby mikedufty » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:54 pm

MattyK wrote:Toddlers and young kids have no preconceived ideas of good vs bad bikes, they will just get on and ride regardless of looks, quality, weight, etc. Almost any feature set requirement will be to pacify your own senses and desires, not theirs. So just pick your budget and go for it.
What surprised me was how much use my kids got out of them, was really a primary means of transport for years, not just a toy. In that context I think having real tyres is quite an important feature. Some have toy like foam tyres, which they promote as being puncture free, but they are also grip-free and quite dangerous if going beyond the house.
The JD bugs have a balance bike specific seat, shaped more like the top of a horse saddle than a bike saddle, no complaints from my kids in hours on them.

high_tea

Postby high_tea » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:09 pm

find_bruce wrote: Thanks mikedufty & high_tea, it is sounding like kids love em all. Is it wrong that I am laughing with you about your boy high_tea ? I can imagine my little terrorist doing just that. He is so grabby with bikes I am even contemplating keeping my commuter clean so his hands don't get so filthy
Not at all. I mentioned the TT rig in the hope that someone out there would get a chuckle!

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:14 pm

For when you're winning at life:
http://www.bikerumor.com/2013/06/17/fou ... ning-bike/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:35 pm

In this case, even if you think you are a winner you are actually just another loser to everyone else...
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:09 pm

When you can afford that you can afford to not give a rats what anyone thinks of you.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:59 pm

Hmmm, pretty sure my son's FirstBike is just as light. It is made out of some glass fibre material, but it only cost $140 delivered!
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

ausdb

Postby ausdb » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:24 pm

queequeg wrote:Hmmm, pretty sure my son's FirstBike is just as light. It is made out of some glass fibre material, but it only cost $140 delivered!
Do you mind sharing where you bought it from? I'm looking for one for my son that turns two in a few weeks so need to get ordering now :)

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:30 pm

ausdb wrote:
queequeg wrote:Hmmm, pretty sure my son's FirstBike is just as light. It is made out of some glass fibre material, but it only cost $140 delivered!
Do you mind sharing where you bought it from? I'm looking for one for my son that turns two in a few weeks so need to get ordering now :)
I bought it from Wiggle a couple of years ago. I am not sure if they still sell them on there. At the time I got it, the local shops were asking more than double that price.

The local price appears much better now:

http://www.firstbike.com.au/models-street.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My son's bike has the rear drum brake. He has no issues squeezing the lever as it has a pretty soft pull designed for little hands.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

ausdb

Postby ausdb » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:51 pm

Thanks Queequeg, wiggle dont seem to sell them anymore but still come up in google searches

I ended up ordering a cross with brake and lowering kit from 2ndcycle, as some of the pages on the firstbike site set off my antivirus!

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:01 pm

<edit> previous post deleted so this comment is no longer relevant

cray-

Postby cray- » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:33 pm

ausdb wrote:Thanks Queequeg, wiggle dont seem to sell them anymore but still come up in google searches

I ended up ordering a cross with brake and lowering kit from 2ndcycle, as some of the pages on the firstbike site set off my antivirus!
Cheers for the 2ndcycle tip, how's your son finding his so far?

Looks like $219.95 delivered for the Racing, $20 cheaper than the official site. They don't call it by it's model name but I'm pretty sure this one: http://www.2ndcycle.com.au/firstbike-bi ... res-l2009/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is describing the "Racing"" model with the Schwalbe Big Apple tyres and hand brake:

"FirstBike BIG APPLE GREEN Frame / Black Wheels, Seat & Grips w/- rear brake. BALLOON TYRES (L2009) (700x160x370 5kg) ? seat height: 36 - 46cm (from 32cm with lowering kit) ? min. rider height: approx. 94cm (90cm with lowering kit) ? only 3.9kg with brake This model comes with Schwalbe Big Apple balloon tyres."

Looking to get one of these for my daughter who turns 2 in April. She's quite tall (97th percentile) so I'm not sure if I'll need the lowering kit or not, need to take some measurements and suss it out. More excited about this than my own bikes. :D

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:55 pm

The lowering kit is pretty basic. It moves the rear wheel axle about 4cm higher, thus lowering the bike. It is just a pair of brackets that attach to the existing axle mounts.
I'd say get the kit, because it very much depends on the length of your child's inseam measurement, not on their total height. You can leave the lowering kit on until they subsequently outgrow the upper limit of the seat adjustment.

cray-

Postby cray- » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:11 pm

I don't suppose anyone has a phone number for 2nd Cycle? There website has been down for a week or 2 and I'm not sure if they've gone out of business. There price was a bit cheaper than ordering direct from FirstBike.com.au Daughter's birthday is April 16th, hope I haven't left my run too late.=]

cray-

Postby cray- » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:01 pm

As far as I can tell 2nd Cycle is no more. Ordered via the official FirstBike page instead which is serviced by Dirt Works. Can't say enough good things about the them. Made a few enquiries before purchase and always received a prompt response. Great communication all round, even got a phone call from them to confirm what I wanted to do about the basket because the color I wanted was on back order and they knew I wanted the bike in time for my daughters birthday.

So big ups to FirstBike & Dirt Works, very happy customer here. And the bike itself is awesome!

thomashouseman

Postby thomashouseman » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:18 pm

1-day is having a balance bike sale today: http://www.1-day.com.au/onsale/bikes0910/p/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I got my son one of these about 4 years ago and he loved it. He was riding a real bike without training wheels before his 3rd birthday if memory serves me correctly.

I paid about double the price of the one's linked above I think but these are identical as far as I can tell from the pictures.

Highly recommend them.

T.

simonn

Postby simonn » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:32 pm

thomashouseman wrote:1-day is having a balance bike sale today: http://www.1-day.com.au/onsale/bikes0910/p/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I got my son one of these about 4 years ago and he loved it. He was riding a real bike without training wheels before his 3rd birthday if memory serves me correctly.

I paid about double the price of the one's linked above I think but these are identical as far as I can tell from the pictures.

Highly recommend them.

T.
+1. I paid $39.99 IIRC. Use threadlocker if you have some when you put it together. Have had a few bolts come loose. He only started riding it abut 4 weeks ago, preferred his scooter, but he really has the hang of it now so I bought his first bike last night. Hopefully that will make a nice birthday surprise in a couple of weeks :D.

Tip: Take your kid to a park where other kids are riding around. They learn far more from watching/playing with other kids, particularly friends, than parents could ever teach them. Was quite amazing watching him analyze what the other kids were doing.

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:58 am

Gumtree is great for balance bikes, picked up my daughters giant on for $45 Shes nearly done with it so will put it back up for $40 better than paying $200

PA

Postby PA » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:36 pm

My Grandson Max on his Christmas present. When they come to visit he see the bike and says bike bike bike and wants to ride it. His feet don't touch the ground yet but give him a few months. He is 17 months old in this picture.

Mouse magnet

mikedufty

Postby mikedufty » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:23 pm

Just needs shoes with thicker soles (did that for my son when he was 18 months).

PA

Postby PA » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:01 pm

He is 2 tomorrow and is now using it himself.
Mouse magnet

KGB

Postby KGB » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:09 pm

Nice. As soon as they can actually fit on it, theyll give it a go and pick it up no problems. My daughter is about to turn 5 and son is 3 and a little bit and they both tear around like mad on 12" bikes with pedals and no training wheels after starting on balance bikes.

tcdev

Postby tcdev » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:33 pm

simonn wrote:Tip: Take your kid to a park where other kids are riding around. They learn far more from watching/playing with other kids, particularly friends, than parents could ever teach them. Was quite amazing watching him analyze what the other kids were doing.
This! Our little Miss 3 is the most stubborn little girl in the world. Resolutely refuses to be instructed on anything, and insists on trying to do it all herself, her way. This includes riding her trike and her scooter. It has been very, very frustrating...

A few months ago at the park there happened to be a few older kids riding around on scooters. I watched little Miss 3 study them as they wizzed past, and then copied them. Many sessions of trying to coax her into riding it properly to no avail, and in seconds another kid has her doing it.

Now I know how 'I' am going to teach her how to ride her bike! :wink:
2015 Giant XTC Advanced 29er 1, Suunto Ambit2 Black
2011 Schwinn Sporterra Comp

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:27 pm

Ha, my daughter could balance bike years ago. Has had a pedal bike since turning 6 in October and still won't ride it with the pedals on...

markc77

Postby markc77 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:25 pm

Hi,

Santa is going to give my daughter a balance bike for Christmas but needs my help in choosing which one. I was going to go for the Byk brand based on good reviews but the assistant at the bike shop recommended the Giant Pre Push. Main reason was that it was less of a stretch to reach the bars and the saddle was lower. The shop sells both brands and others so I'm inclined to trust their recommendation.

What do you guys think? BTW My daughter will be 2yrs and 4 months old at Christmas, she is quite active and loves to run etc :)
Last edited by markc77 on Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.