Colnago Master X-Light build - let it shine....

jaseyjase

Re: Colnago Master X-Light build - let it shine....

Postby jaseyjase » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:45 pm

open roader wrote:Headset now fitted with a 5mm spacer and a quick re-tension of the headset...... I like this addition, it stays.
im glad to have helped with such a beautiful build!

this build has got me thinking about steel again :mrgreen:

Causidicus

Postby Causidicus » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:24 pm

What looks like the abandonment of the tabbed washer in the headset assembly will likely require regular adjustment to headset play bordering on what could be called a constant problem.

ironhanglider

Re:

Postby ironhanglider » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:37 pm

Causidicus wrote:What looks like the abandonment of the tabbed washer in the headset assembly will likely require regular adjustment to headset play bordering on what could be called a constant problem.
If a tabbed washer is the only thing keeping a bearing in adjustment, you are doing it wrong.

Cheers,

Cameron

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Re:

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:09 pm

ironhanglider wrote:
Causidicus wrote:What looks like the abandonment of the tabbed washer in the headset assembly will likely require regular adjustment to headset play bordering on what could be called a constant problem.
If a tabbed washer is the only thing keeping a bearing in adjustment, you are doing it wrong.

Cheers,

Cameron
+lots. Tabbed washers came about for the same reason as lawyer tips, to save the barely competent from themselves. Ask me how I know...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Causidicus

Postby Causidicus » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:24 pm

Time will be the appropriate proof.

azzamac

Postby azzamac » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:19 am

Hi there, I came across this thread while researching on building a Colnago Master X-Light. I was wondering what's the length of the steering column of your fork?

I have a size 54 frame, and a threaded fork with a 148mm steering column. I have a feeling it might be a tad short as my head tube is 117mm, and the Campagnolo headset i ordered has a stack height of 36.5mm

Wondering what my options are now. Should I look for a new fork, or look for a shorter headset?

cage

Postby cage » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:50 pm

Subtracting 117 from 148 leaves you with a stack height of 31mm. I think the Chris King GripNut goes down to 33mm so that only leaves the cheap Tange Passage which has a stack height of 30.2mm. I'm not aware of any others that go down that low for a threaded 1 inch steerer.

Only other option is to look for another fork or as a last resort, ring a mob like gripsport & have them lengthen the steerer.
If drivers and riders spent more time worrying about their responsibilities than their rights then roads would be far safer.

azzamac

Postby azzamac » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:08 pm

I see. Thank you for the information. Are there any other headset options (i.e. Campagnolo, Shimano, etc)? Does 36.5mm not work at all? Going by the same calculations, that will leave about a 5-7mm "gap" or "lip" between the top of the locknut and the top of the steering column (erring on the side of having less room). Is that a bad thing?

cage

Postby cage » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:56 pm

Basically, the top lock nut has only about 4 threads so once the bearings & races are installed, the steerer needs to protrude enough for the lock nut to grab it. If it only grabs it by say, one thread, then there's not much holding everything together.

You can have a longer steerer & just take up the excess with spacers, within reason, but if its to short there's not much you can do.
If drivers and riders spent more time worrying about their responsibilities than their rights then roads would be far safer.

munga

Postby munga » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:54 am

you could face the headtube - that might get you a couple of millimetres

lbs can do it -

azzamac

Postby azzamac » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:05 pm

Yikes...thanks for the tip, but I'm not sure I want to do that to a Colnago Master! ;)

munga

Postby munga » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:23 pm

that's up to you, but i don't think a colnago master is any more special than any other bike in this instance.

azzamac

Postby azzamac » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:13 am

Thanks guys, for the advice. Much appreciated. Managed to find a longer fork, so fingers crossed, this one works out!

open roader

Postby open roader » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:39 pm

memeber054 - I got your message and tried to reply but you need to change your settings to accept message replies.

Cheers,

Matthew.
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking