Tarro Overpass - Newcastle

find_bruce

Tarro Overpass - Newcastle

Postby find_bruce » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:54 am

There have been a fewposts regarding the tragic death of a cyclist on the Tarro Overpass near Newcastle and there has now been a very positive follow-up story in the Newcastle Herald Cyclist fearful of fatal Tarro overpass

The response from RMS is particularly disappointing "In the interim, RMS will immediately investigate whether additional warning signs or line marking changes are needed at this location."
bychosis wrote:http://www.theherald.com.au/news/local/ ... 42979.aspx
Terrible news. If it is where I am thinking, 80 or 90k zone, around a fast sweeping corner and up onto the bridge (crest) facing into the afternoon sun and with the shoulder narrowing.
waramatt wrote:I was a regular commuter on the New England Hwy near where this fatality happened. That was until yesterday. Now I'm gonna use the excellent bus service and save my cycling for safer, calmer, quieter roads......

This pinch point has been a very well known hazard for a very long time. The road shoulder disappears on a bend at an old, narrow rail overpass. It's a 90 zone and in busy afternoon westbound traffic also adds the hazard of the setting sun. I wouldn't cycle here at 5am on a Sunday morning.

But obviously my heart goes out to everyone affected by this tragedy.
gretaboy wrote:well some sad news up my way...a cyclist was killed yesterday afternoon. Where he was killed was at a point I have to ride everyday and I call it one of my "death" points...I have about 3-4 "death" points on my ride

http://www.theherald.com.au/news/local/ ... 42979.aspx

I went past that point roughly 30-45 minutes before it happened...have to do it again this afternoon.
It doesn't get easier, you just get slower

bychosis

Re: Tarro Overpass - Newcastle

Postby bychosis » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:17 am

The follow up story to this tragedy and the online comments just show how much hate (and stupidity) there is out there. I think it is disgraceful the disrespect shown after this tragic incident.

http://www.theherald.com.au/news/local/ ... 43558.aspx
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:52 am

Bychosis, I have decided not to read online comments to "newspaper" articles - it only ends in tears and they are mostly mine. Interesting that the original article was not open to comments
It doesn't get easier, you just get slower

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:00 am

bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

human909

Postby human909 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:44 am

Judge Helen Syme said that although Mr Smith had moved slightly onto the roadway because the breakdown lane ended at the bridge, a ‘‘prudent’’ driver would have done more to avoid the collision.

She said it was a poorly designed section of road but it was incumbent upon motorists to drive to the conditions.
:shock: An understatement of the century! (And almost victim blaming.)

A prudent driver WOULD have avoided the collision.

The odd thing is that while the Judge says it is "incumbent upon motorists to drive to the conditions" she doesn't seem to sent that message with the sentancing. If you are "incumbent" not to kill somebody but does it really only deserve 300hours of community service?