Morning ride fuel requirements

tuco

Morning ride fuel requirements

Postby tuco » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:48 am

I know there's a nutrition thread but this query is a little more specific.

All our races start at 6:30am (7am next month) so it's something I should learn more about.

What to eat before an early morning ride or race?

I assume something like a pasta meal the night before a race but what about on the morning of a race or the morning of a simple training ride and how soon before the race? I'm separating the training ride from the race day.

I've been doing the group ride with A/B graders and after 20 of the 30km I get dropped of the back. I, along with the other D graders, get dropped off earlier but that's because of a small hill and we do a short cut and let them catch us with us. It wouldn't even cut a 1km off and is mainly so we can have a short recovery ride. That's at about the 10km mark.
The 20 km drop off is totally different. I'm the only D grader it affects. It's quite a dramatic drop off. I'm happily cruising along with them then it's like the fuel line is cut and my legs say, "Nope, that's too hard, lets start hurting to make him slow down." Then, out on my own, I struggle to keep up a speed in the high 20's even though I'd just been cruising at 35 to 43 and even hit highs of 50km/h in the group. High 20's on my own is way below my average for a solo ride.

The drop off point is always within a few hundreds metres of the average drop off point.
I can walk and jog for up to an hour on class 3 bush tracks in the afternoon/evenings but I struggle with early morning ride. It must be the energy, or lack of, which I put in prior to the ride.

If it helps answer the question, for a training ride I get up at 4:55am for a 5:30am ride start time. (usually 5:35 - 5:40 before we head off though) I do a short 3km ride to get to the ride starting point.

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:15 am

That's a horrible start time Tuco! We're now in our 'winter' program, so events have moved to Saturday afternoons at 1:30pm - much more civilized than Sunday mornings.
During summer, I used to have cereal (weetbix / muesli) with low fat milk, yoghurt and sliced banana, a 'lumpy bits' muffin with jam and a double short black for breakfast. But, I don't think that that's your problem - your body is more likely to be looking for carb boost to replenish glycogen levels having burnt off what it had stored away over night, while your breakfast is still only half digested. You could try a 'sports drink'. I used Endura for a while, but I've been using Nutralife's 'Recovery Energy' for a while now. I used to save it up for the second half of an event, but found that it was too late to start once the drop-off had kicked in. I mix it full strength and put up with the sweetness - that's what I'm after, after all! I also stick a Growling Dog (don't blame me, that's what they're called) in my jersey pocket. I like the berry ones. I don't often get to chew on it - the b*stards in my grade take off as soon as you reach for your pocket - but they're good, even if chewing is hard work when you're trying to breathe through your mouth!
The Sports Nutrition Fact Sheet for road cycling from the AIS is worth reading.

tuco

Postby tuco » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:35 am

LuckyPierre wrote:That's a horrible start time Tuco! We're now in our 'winter' program, so events have moved to Saturday afternoons at 1:30pm - much more civilized than Sunday mornings.
1:30! Luxury! I'd kill to race in the afternoon but then we have mild winters up here. I sure they even move to 7:30am in winter but the move is more to do with sunrise time than temperature.

Most of our rides are on public roads so the club must be looking at the safety issue.
The only advantage of the early starts is a lack of wind.

Thanks for the interesting link. I like the early morning race guide, "Snack one or two hours before the event." Like that'll happen while I'm asleep!
They need an early, early, early morning race guide.
Can't wait to do the sample carbohydrate loading plan they listed (minus the garlic bread). I'm surprised they added a 375ml can of soft drink for lunch.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:56 am

I'd prefer 6.30am race over 1.30pm anyday.

The distances you are travelling don't seem to far enough for it to be a nutrition problem. The body should have enough Glycogen to last that distance.

I have a similar problem, I kind of dead zone 20k into the ride, on a particular set of hills. This is despite being one of the better climbers in the group. After that I'm right as rain for the remaining 60k and don't need food or supliment intakes for the 80k.

If you do want something, then sugar would probably get into the system quick enough to help.

Burn plenty of Glycogen
Frame Size Calculator
ImageImageImage
training log
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:04 am

Tried sipping Gatorade as you go?

Works for me. If I just drink water I normally get really tired about an hour after a ride.

tuco

Postby tuco » Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:07 pm

Bnej wrote:Tried sipping Gatorade as you go?

Works for me. If I just drink water I normally get really tired about an hour after a ride.
Almost bought a box of it the other day. I purchase the food and drinks for the local gaming club from a warehouse and I saw the box staring at me but I thought no, I'll go over to the Epharmacy store across the road and see if they have Edura cheap then I made my purchases, drove off and forgot about the Epharmacy store so ended up with nothing. :evil:

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:14 pm

I just get whichever one is cheapest in powder from Coles. They're all pretty much the same apart from the colours and flavours.

You could try taking some jelly beans or something along with you, or some of that horrible energy gel stuff.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:21 pm

Bnej wrote:I just get whichever one is cheapest in powder from Coles. They're all pretty much the same apart from the colours and flavours.

You could try taking some jelly beans or something along with you, or some of that horrible energy gel stuff.
A mate who has done a bit of riding mentioned "snakes" - great - now I have a legitimate excuse for buying them. Great sugar fix and taste good.

gururug

Postby gururug » Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:20 pm

I'm no professional but I reckon you should consume a small brkfast 1-2hrs if possible before the race and small quantities of high energyu food during the race.

A large brekky within 30mins of the race will almost certainly have a negative impact on you performance not to mention possibly bring on the morning bog during your ride.

tuco

Postby tuco » Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:36 pm

gururug wrote:I'm no professional but I reckon you should consume a small brkfast 1-2hrs if possible before the race and small quantities of high energyu food during the race.
Good in theory but no one in their right mind gets up 1-2 hours before a 5:30AM start training ride, well not in my world anyway.

6:30 race it could work because some of them we have to leave home at least an hour before the race start time so be awake at least half an hour prior to that.

The cat usually wakes me at about 3-ish to go out. Maybe I should have a 3am snack. :wink:

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:42 pm

What ever
Last edited by MountGower on Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:18 pm

MountGower wrote:What ever happened to Staminade? It used to be just about all there was. With the amount of bad publicity modern sports drinks get you'd think more people would mention it, but I never hear of it these days.
It's actually quite popular with members of this board. Regularly mentioned.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:00 pm

I tried staminade, found it forms lumps when being mixed a bit too easily. Now, the lumps are like little lollies in the drink but it doesn't do good if you're trying to drink them!

Gatorade mixes much more easily, even when the bottle still has some water in it.

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:16 pm

Cool,
Last edited by MountGower on Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:35 pm

Bnej wrote:I tried staminade, found it forms lumps when being mixed a bit too easily. Now, the lumps are like little lollies in the drink but it doesn't do good if you're trying to drink them!
Use warm water to premix it.

Alternatively this is actually a feature. I found that I can let it clump and dissolve further when I fill up half way into the ride.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:45 pm

I think the main difference between Staminade and Gatorate is that Staminade has magnesium where Gatorate doesn't.

Burn plenty of Glycogen
Frame Size Calculator
ImageImageImage
training log
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:46 pm

Staminade tends to mix 'sweeter' than the others, and Powerade is a little bit Australian, so I use it (buy it when it's on special at Coles - they have it pretty regularly) in preference to Gatorade / Staminade. Endura is good, but expensive, and I've already declared my bias towards Nutra-life's 'Restore Energy', so my usual 'jungle juice' for events is two scoops of Nutra-life and one of Powerade in a 750 ml bidon. And, don't forget - a Growling Dog in your pocket (my current one has been on four rides without being used :? )

tuco

Postby tuco » Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:39 pm

I had a talk to the lbs guy who also goes on the same early morning ride and he suggested "Up and Go" and a banana.

I'll give it a go and see if I notice a difference. I'll definitely be trying it Sunday since we have a 6:30am race start and have to drive 50kms to get to the starting point.