Stuff Cheaper in the US?

glawrence2000

Stuff Cheaper in the US?

Postby glawrence2000 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:19 am

Lads,
I got me a work trip to the USA. Good on me I say.
Now, I've been wanting to get a few bits for my mountain bike and wonder if there is any advice out there on potential saving in the US.
I am after some decent lights for my bike for some night riding tomfoolery.
1. Any recommendations from personal experience on ones to get / stay away from? The magazines are full of information but I come away from the articles less sure than when I went in.
2. Anyone know any good bike shops in Virginia or NYC?
3. Is there really any cost savings to be had by hopping the pond (Pacific Ocean).

Cheers,
Thanks heaps.
BMC 4Stroke 03. (web nazis won't let me put a third picture up :()
Voodoo Dambala 29er.
FELT AR4 Carbon.

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:24 am

The problem is that items in the US are not necessarily cheap for walk-in stores. Value lies in those major discount stores and mail-order stores. Don't forget also that there's state sale tax when buying from a walk-in and some mail-order stores.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:28 am

I don't know if you're going to get significant savings when you're there. Most riders do what we do to save money - buy online. The biggest saving to be made when buying in the US is when buying a complete bike or a frame. Things which cost a heap to transport can be brought back with your luggage at a considerable saving.*

Regarding the lights, you're not really going to find any commercially made lights better than Ayups, made in Oz. They are great value for money and very bright. (DealExtreme for LED torches made into bike lights is a cheaper alternative, but there is DIY involved ...)

Cheers,
Graeme

* Wanna buy me Ti MTB frame please? ;)
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

glawrence2000

Postby glawrence2000 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:32 am

With the arse falling out of the dollar; probably any savings gained have almost certainly been wiped. :(
I bought my new frame online and it was FEDEX'd out with insurance for $550 AUD; not bad considering I saw the same frame (smaller though - lucky me) for twice the price at my LBS. Give it a go. :idea:
Thanks heaps.
BMC 4Stroke 03. (web nazis won't let me put a third picture up :()
Voodoo Dambala 29er.
FELT AR4 Carbon.

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:47 am

In my opinion rather than lug all the crap home with you and I don't know what your after but do what some of the folks here have said and what I do all the time. Go online and make the purchases from the USA just keep the bill under $1000 to avoid any GST and import taxes or to keep it under the $1000 thresh hold make two separate orders.

If you order before you leave it will be in OZ in most cases within 5 days at your door step at home and you would have halved the shopping bill or even more to buying here in Oz.

PM me and I will give you some of the US sites I use but do your own research.