anyone else have this problem

tallywhacker

anyone else have this problem

Postby tallywhacker » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:18 pm

riding along East Parade in East Perth my heart rate monitor stops (no I am not dead). The main spots are at the railway stations and always in exactly the same spot. It eventually starts again but near the main station it stops long enough to switch itself off. And it seems to be getting worse, yesterday from Wyndam bridge to Maylands it stopped, was working fine along Grand Prom. Would this be interference from the overhead power cables or are the stations pumping out some comms stuff that would interfere with it ?

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:18 pm

I've had similar problems along there with a wireless speedo. I thought that the speedo was junk, but there is another thread around somewhere about this problem in East Perth

Kev.
There is only one BicycleWA.

chalkie

Postby chalkie » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:48 pm

Taking it easy-ish, cycling into the headwind past Maylands station this evening, looking forward to the York jazz festival when I noticed that my Polar HRM was telling me that the ticker was pumping at 205! Either I am now in my latest reincarnation, trapped in the same body or the electromagnetic gremlins had been having fun. They also do it to my TV when they ride past my house on the trains!

Matty

Postby Matty » Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:00 am

I get similar problems at one spot in East Parade. Just after the tunnel coming from Wyndam bridge. There's a big power transformer there. My Polar always starts reading zero along there. Only for a short period, 30 seconds or so. When cycling along the path next to the train line from then on I occasionally get an erratic reading when passing train stations. I have found my Polar to be much less interference prone now that I've changed the position of my chest strap a bit. Seems to be picking up a stronger signal from my heart now.

DAVCLARE

Postby DAVCLARE » Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:37 pm

We ride from Bassendean train station and my polar CS 200 does the same thing at the East Perth train station . and on the return journey .

The first time i thought it was the sensor .
Glad its not just me

David

ajh_ausnzcf

Postby ajh_ausnzcf » Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:50 pm

Heartrate monitor sensors are very sensitive, I've noticed big jumps up and down when crossing any high voltage line with Polar. eg. Train lines.

As for my wireless Shimano SM65? lever button sender/receiver, not a problem at all. The literature indicates LED lights might interfere, I've got a Cateye single plus sitting right next to the computer and it never interferes with the signally when in operation, at least not when I'm looking.

sittingbison

Postby sittingbison » Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:07 pm

the Govt could always turn the new mega expensive housing near East Perth Power Station into a primary school.... :wink:
I have a cunning plan, as cunning as a fox who's just been appointed Professor of Cunning at Oxford University

wintal

Postby wintal » Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:16 pm

My polar speedo always cuts out along the train line, presumably from the train power lines. Never had it happen to the HRM, but I'd imagine it's the same problem.

I've had double heart rate displayed just due to bad contact.

Cheers,
Leighton...

DAVCLARE

Postby DAVCLARE » Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:23 pm

Thats what happens to my CS 200.
My HRM still works so i know i am alive , just not going any where according to my speed

Or i am going so fast , that my speedo cant keep up .
Wishful thinking on my part !!!!
David

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:23 am

G'day

Sounds like you guys need a real bike computer ... a Garmin 305 :)

Andrew
Andrew

DAVCLARE

Postby DAVCLARE » Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:49 am

Hi Andrew ,
Your thoughts on the Garmin 305 would be appreciated .

How do you find it .

David

ajh_ausnzcf

Garmin 305

Postby ajh_ausnzcf » Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:16 am

Need being the operative word.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:06 pm

DAVCLARE wrote:Hi Andrew ,
Your thoughts on the Garmin 305 would be appreciated .

How do you find it .

David
Hi David

Some thoughts on same at http://www.aushiker.com/2007/11/garmin-edge-305/ I really need to update the page, but even though I have a had a problem with water I would get another one or better still a 705.

Andrew
Andrew

sittingbison

Postby sittingbison » Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:57 pm

hey Andrew,
just read your page on the Garmin.

Is this in competition with other HRM cycle computers such as Polar? Is it set apart by having GPS? Without the GPS, how would it compare with a specific cycle computer plus independent HRM, or HRM cycle computer combo.

cheers
Adrian
I have a cunning plan, as cunning as a fox who's just been appointed Professor of Cunning at Oxford University

ajh_ausnzcf

Garmin's cycle product

Postby ajh_ausnzcf » Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:05 pm

They look like they could add more enjoyment to rides. With their transmission protocol I guess interference doesn't cause problems. I'd appreciate one of these while riding in the hills. They do seem to be still undergoing strong development. Was this a "tester" unit supplied with expectation of a field report and experience?