Water or Energy Drink?

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
fab at forty

Re: Water or Energy Drink?

Postby fab at forty » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:05 pm

interesting topic :D

these days, on long rides and hills rides (both 80k +), after a dismail fail at the busso half using gels, i generally take my 'famous' home made energy bars, a banana and some honey sandwiches. I find that if i eat a bowl of porridge and honey for breakfast (yes, sometimes very early) this will sustain me for the first couple of hours, with a few bites of the energy bar and some water along the way.

I then generally scoff some sandwiches and the banana at the end of the ride which gets me the last 10k home.

My big goal is to race the mandurah half iron man in october on 'real' food - watch this space!

i guess at the end of the day whatever works for you is the right solution and the only way you'll find out is to experiment and practise and not worry about what everyone else does!

Ginantonicus

Postby Ginantonicus » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:16 pm

It depends what your body needs. If you need electrolytes then an energy drink is the way to go. However if you have enough electrolytes in the system already then drinking an energy drink with dehydrate you more( your body will try to expel the extra electrolytes). My personal choice is a weak Staminade. That way your getting electrolytes as well as plenty of water.

nirismo

Postby nirismo » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:01 pm

Water only. Usually drink Gatorade just for the sugar boost later in the session. Hydrolytes is good for long intense sessions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dragster1

Postby Dragster1 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:26 pm

Yep I like water on the shorter rides unless you need to deal with extreme heats, then electrolyte

TheBikeShed

Postby TheBikeShed » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:11 pm

One option that you could experiment with is using a powder-based energy drink and mixing up a full-strength bottle for long rides, but only putting a touch of the powder into the bottle for short sessions. I like this method as I'm a bit more likely to drink if I have a sports drink instead of just water. I know that water is hydrating and really good for you and all, but I just find it boring. I force myself to drink it on a regular basis, but I find a little bit of taste makes it a bit easier. I find that an electrolyte drink with no extra calories is good for short workouts.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:58 am

RonK wrote:Water. Product not required...
Generally, I use a scoop of Endura in 500ml bottle of water plus another bottle made double strength for long rides (then I can get a normal bottle of water and make two normal strength bottles).

But that's changing - as I do more longer rides I'm finding I don't need to do this as much. I've tried a few different powders, Skratch Labs, E-Load and Endura - seems that Endura works best for me.

anttismo

Postby anttismo » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:41 am

Personally I use powerade powder, mixed at about 1/2 strength - it tastes a little better and I seem to be less prones to cramping on longer rides than with plain water. As rides get longer I may up the mix a bit up toward full strength as top up the bottle from taps/bublers along the way. A long, warm ride, say 6~8 hrs, I may have left home with 2 bidons of full strength mix and after 2 or 3 reloadings from taps, the mix has become very weak. Sometimes buy a powerade or similar and dilute into 2 bidons along the way. On really, really long rides - done a few out toward 24 hrs - then take power with me in a bag.

carcharias

Postby carcharias » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:27 pm

H2O. Nothing else needed.

linda0012

Postby linda0012 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:26 pm

15wilsonwu wrote:Which is better for drinking during a short, but intense cycling session, water or energy drink?
Energy drink is better i think.

matagi

Postby matagi » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:44 am

Water.

softy

Postby softy » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:59 am

I do a couple of things;

One hydralite tablet (two are the recommended dose)
Or a slice of lemon.

Absolutely nothing scientific, so take it as you will.

billygoatgruff

Postby billygoatgruff » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:27 pm

Just water for me, but there was an interesting segment on an episode of the Bike Lane about the short-term benefits of a moderate amount of heat stress and dehydration during some workout sessions.

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2013/12/the-b ... sterclass/
It starts at 19 minutes in.

If it's a VERY short workout, hydration before the workout is probably more important than hydration during.