Lynxx put on suspension......

Uba Tracker

Lynxx put on suspension......

Postby Uba Tracker » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:14 pm

Hi all, well I finally got around to putting the Meks CF forks that I bought six months ago onto the Lynxx. As always it turned out to be a bigger job than I initially considered but it's done now and tomorrow's ride will be the acid test. Being USS limits the areas where the steering tie rod can be attached so a mate who owns a machine shop supplied a headed plug which I loctited in position at the base of the steerer and then cross pinned with a roll pin. Next came the pseudo pitman arm made out of 6mm aluminium plate which attaches via a 6mm domed cap screw and 3mm indexing screw to lock it in position, the photos pretty much explain the rest

cheers

Harry
A bad day's riding beats a good day's work everytime

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:43 pm

Very nice work Harry.

Now you can put a disc brake on there too! :)

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

Uba Tracker

Postby Uba Tracker » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:36 am

Thanks Graeme, funny you should mention disc brake, I have the good folk at my LBS quoting on supplying two new disc brake equipped hoops and callipers etc. 'V' brakes are OK but they can be fickle :roll: to set up and if your wheel is anything but 100% true you get less than stellar braking performance.

cheers

Harry

PEDALPOWER44

Postby PEDALPOWER44 » Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:49 am

Nice job Harry,

I remember you mentioned about this setup before B2GC sure looks like you made it work"GOOD ONE" keep us posted about how things go,I'm sure it will make a hell of a difference to the ride.

Cheers

Steve :D

(PP44)

RogerTully

Lynxx

Postby RogerTully » Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:23 pm

Hi, Uba Tracker,
I bought a Lynxx last April :D I put front shocks and disc brakes and a dyno hub with Schmidt lights and a large set of paniers in the back. It is very comfortable. I bought a TW bents trailer and I am very pleased with the set up. I have 2800k up on it to date. Late september I rode with a mate from Malanda to Cooktown via the bitumen and returned via the Bloomfield track. A Most excellent 15 days. What kind of riding are you into?
Roger

Uba Tracker

Postby Uba Tracker » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:20 pm

Hi Roger, welcome to the forum. What sort of riding am I into? Hmmm a good question, well I'm not into racing, been there done that - over it. So I guess that leaves social, getting and then keeping fit and hopefully one day touring. I'm keen for you to reach the magic ten posts so we can see some pics of your rig, we'll just to rabbit on for another nine.The new forks are just magic, I found that previously roads with large screening would cause my vision to blur, but not any more. It did have a weird kind of feel for the first 10 k's or so but I soon got used to it. The wheel base is slightly longer now which seems to aid stability but does cause a little under steer, I'm sure I'll get used to that too. Overall a big thumbs up :wink: .

cheers

Harry

RogerTully

Postby RogerTully » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:42 pm

Thanks Harry,
I bought my Lynxx through Flying Furniture in Canberra. I had decided what custom features I wanted on it through internet research and they put it together for me. I paid nearly double the stock standard price. I've had some trouble with my USS. I had some initial minor bingles as you have when at the tender age of 60 you change riding style from sore crutch upright to feet out recumbent. I bent the stainless 60x10mm bolt that secures the handlebar to the frame. This caused the bolt to loosen during steeering and the handlebar to become sloppy. I replaced the bolt but it started to loosen again so I tried locktite but it doesn't work with alloy/stainless combination so I regularly had to tighten it with a shifter. Anyway on my big trip, I had another buster with the bike fully loaded and the trailer attached on the dirt road and this made the steering very sloppy again and the bolt was coming undone every couple of ks. It was driving me nuts as there were some pretty big declines we were slithering down and I could well have done without the steering failing on those sections. Anyway at the township of Ayton near Bloomfield we had just pulled out of our camp at Weary Bay when I saw a bloke at his letterbox and I asked him if he had a 200mm shifter I could borrow to tighten my steering bolt. He said "I've got a whole workshop in there!" indicating behind a bit of scrub. He took us in to his spacious shed where he was doing up a catamaran. He said he was a retired engineer and he got a shifter and preceeded to dismantle the damaged steering. The bolt was bent and the top bearing was totally smashed and that was why the bar was so sloppy. He didn't have a new bearing but he did have a huge old metal lathe and he grabbbed a lump of brass from his scrap heap and proceeded to turn a brass bush to a tolerance of 4/1000 of an inch to replace my busted bearing! He straightened my bent bolt then gave us a cup of tea and refused payment for the bush. He also suggested I use teflon tape on the bolt to tighten it into the alloy thread. I was able to traverse the worst of the Bloomfield track with an operational steering system. I replaced both steering bearings and bolt at an engineering works in Mossman when we arrived there 3 days later and now I always carry a spare bolt and bearing and my personally engineered bush in my toolkit.
:) Lucky Roger

rog on a bike

Postby rog on a bike » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:58 pm

Harry
Looks great.
My next project for the Lynxx is USS and disk brakes, which may occur with front suspension to Orca specs (undecided as yet) looking for the uss kit now.
Cheers Rog
EVERY HILL HAS A CREST. GETTING THERE BEFORE THE HEART ATTACK IS THE TRICK.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:51 am

Excellent story Roger. What a great trip!

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

Uba Tracker

Postby Uba Tracker » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:18 pm

Hi Roger/s, I agree with Graeme Roger T, great story. Y' know I've never had any trouble with the bolt in question, I used a smidge of Loctite Thread Locker and it seems to be doing what it claims.
Thanks for the kind words Rog on a Bike, hey check your pm's mate.

regards

Harry

RogerTully

Steering Bolt

Postby RogerTully » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:59 am

My steering bolt was fine until I had a couple of minor prangs. I figured the stress may have deformed the alloy nut welded in the frame. I tried Lockitite 234 and it wouldn't set. A Fitter friend explained that the alloy/stainless steel combo will not allow the locktite to set due to some chemical anomaly. I know the bent bolt was continually loosening itself on every movement of the bar. However since I put a new high tensile bolt and teflon thread tape at Mossman about 300k ago I've had no probs.
RogerT