Bike rack plates

tuco

Bike rack plates

Postby tuco » Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:09 pm

After getting the run around with the department of transport I find out bike rack plates have to purchased from ppq.com.au (personalised plates qld)

Here's a quote from their web site :
"Accessory plates can be ordered at any Queensland Transport Customer Service Centre, or by calling PPQ on 136 356 (a modest fee applies)."

Their idea of modest is $54.95 :shock:

MichaelB

Re: Bike rack plates

Postby MichaelB » Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:25 pm

tuco wrote:After getting the run around with the department of transport I find out bike rack plates have to purchased from ppq.com.au (personalised plates qld)

"Accessory plates can be ordered at any Queensland Transport Customer Service Centre, or by calling PPQ on 136 356 (a modest fee applies)."

Got some white paint, a bit of tin & a black texta ?

As long as it looks neat, I don't think you'd get hassled ? Also would need to run a light to illuminate the plate at night ?

Other option is a full sized plate. They'd be cheaper than custom ones.

Cheers

Michael B

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:28 pm

MichaelB wrote:As long as it looks neat, I don't think you'd get hassled ?
You sure would get hassled. Fined even. If they let you make your own plates, you could make ANY plates and put them on your car - which is definitely not allowed!

You'll keep them at least 5 years right? 10 bucks a year? It's nothing.

tuco

Postby tuco » Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:30 pm

MichaelB wrote:
tuco wrote:After getting the run around with the department of transport I find out bike rack plates have to purchased from ppq.com.au (personalised plates qld)

Got some white paint, a bit of tin & a black texta ?

As long as it looks neat, I don't think you'd get hassled ? Also would need to run a light to illuminate the plate at night ?

Other option is a full sized plate. They'd be cheaper than custom ones.

Cheers

Michael B
Interesting query on the light. I assume not other wise the rack would be supplied with cabling.

Only give away with your do it yourself option is half my driving time with the rack on is pre dawn so maybe a bit of reflectivity is needed to convince the appropriate people it's the real thing.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:34 pm

Bnej wrote:
MichaelB wrote:As long as it looks neat, I don't think you'd get hassled ?
You sure would get hassled. Fined even. If they let you make your own plates, you could make ANY plates and put them on your car - which is definitely not allowed!

You'll keep them at least 5 years right? 10 bucks a year? It's nothing.
If you get hassled, the cops in your area must be bad. Sure it's not 100% kosher, but as long as you don't drag attention your way, I would have thought that common sense would prevail. Then again, we are talking about Johland here....

I'd arc up about $54.90 for 2 small stamped bits of metal too. They are only good for the car, not for the life of the bike or bike rack.

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:35 pm

$300 fine in SA for not using the govt supplied plate. There is a seperate fine for not having one at all.

Richard

stryker84

Postby stryker84 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:40 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Bnej wrote:If you get hassled, the cops in your area must be bad. Sure it's not 100% kosher, but as long as you don't drag attention your way, I would have thought that common sense would prevail. Then again, we are talking about Johland here....

I'd arc up about $54.90 for 2 small stamped bits of metal too. They are only good for the car, not for the life of the bike or bike rack.
If you get hassled, I say a jolly good job to the coppers in your area. That's dedication for you. Not their fault someone decides to flout the law.

I'd agree with Bnej, $60 for something that's likely going to last the lifetime of your car is a worthwhile investment.

tuco

Postby tuco » Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:48 pm

It's a good thing I only use the rack on one of our cars.

I know I'll have to get one. My point really is saying 'modest' doesn't make it modest. I was expecting about $30.

Next thing you know they'll want me to register my car.

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:49 pm

I just paid $35 to do the test to get my P2 licence, then another $65 for passing the test, and all I got was a pair of green plastic P-Plates!

Car rego and running costs is orders of magnitude more per year.

I still say $55 is indeed reasonable. It's a lot cheaper than your bike, for example. Cheaper than one pedal for many of us even.

tuco

Postby tuco » Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:54 pm

Bnej wrote:I just paid $35 to do the test to get my P2 licence, then another $65 for passing the test, and all I got was a pair of green plastic P-Plates!
Plus the freedom of driving - legally.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:04 pm

By the time you muck around you might as well shell out the $. A donation to the boys in Brisbane.

Burn plenty of Glycogen
Frame Size Calculator
ImageImageImage
training log
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:05 pm

tuco wrote:Plus the freedom of driving - legally.
Exactly like you get with your mini-plates.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:11 pm

If you get hassled, I say a jolly good job to the coppers in your area. That's dedication for you. Not their fault someone decides to flout the law.
Hmmm, I guess that is what is called progress in society. Displaying a not quite the standard number plate is a REALLY SERIOUS offence, especially when compared to murder, theft, dangerous driving etc.

Since some people think that $55 is quite modest, maybe they can "donate" the plates to Tuco as a supporter of his racing program.....

Cheers

Michael B

tuco

Postby tuco » Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:14 pm

MichaelB wrote:

Hmmm, I guess that is what is called progress in society. Displaying a not quite the standard number plate is a REALLY SERIOUS offence, especially when compared to murder, theft, dangerous driving etc.

Since some people think that $55 is quite modest, maybe they can "donate" the plates to Tuco as a supporter of his racing program.....

Cheers

Michael B
I accept paypal but prefer bank deposit.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:31 pm

I think its a rip-off, but its too much effort to bypass.

Burn plenty of Glycogen
Frame Size Calculator
ImageImageImage
training log
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:00 pm

MichaelB wrote:Hmmm, I guess that is what is called progress in society. Displaying a not quite the standard number plate is a REALLY SERIOUS offence, especially when compared to murder, theft, dangerous driving etc.
The penalties for those other offences are higher, but the law is the law, and should be enforced. If you don't like the law, write your local member and campaign to have it changed, but it's no excuse to flout it.

If you are allowed to manufacture your own plates, then I can make my own fake ones and speed with impunity.
I wouldn't blink at paying that to legally use a bike rack myself. Doesn't mean I have money to give away.

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:43 pm

Ok, another reason for selecting a roof mount bike rack. :wink:
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:52 pm

Cheaper to move to Perth...almost :shock:

I've never seen plates on any bike racks in WA - only on trips out of state. I know you can't have your plates obscured here, but no-one bothers with actual plates.

We are obviously more laid back in the West :wink:

Moo...

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:09 pm

moosterbounce wrote:but no-one bothers with actual plates.
I drove a car around once for 3 months with a different plate on the front than the back :shock: The cops didn't even notice it when they pulled me over. :shock:

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:19 am

heavymetal wrote:
moosterbounce wrote:but no-one bothers with actual plates.
I drove a car around once for 3 months with a different plate on the front than the back :shock: The cops didn't even notice it when they pulled me over. :shock:
That's only because they thought the bike pump in your hand was an offensive weapon :shock: Not realising that the only really offensive thing was the driver :roll:

Care to explain how you had two different plates? Hmmm?

Richard

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:32 am

europa wrote:Care to explain how you had two different plates? Hmmm?
I lost one. I had a spare in the shed so I put that on the front. I eventually forgot about it, and only remembered when the rego was due.
There is only one BicycleWA.

tuco

Postby tuco » Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:34 pm

He he he.

I ordered the rack plates from the personalised plate page and thought I's check something out while I was there - apparently RRRS is available.:lol:

Get it - arse - well I thought it was funny.

tuco

Postby tuco » Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:33 pm

He he he.

So is TERD and 8URD. They must have a person check them before they're made.

Not that you'd want a have either of them as a number plate.

Reminds me of the horse called Hoof Hearted. Say it fast, it caught out a race caller.

drevil

Postby drevil » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:49 pm

I didn't pay that much when I got mine, so I called PPQ and checked the price.

If you have personalised plates, the cost is only $20.45, but if you don't it costs $54.95.

The extra $34 is for PPQ to process and essentially get the authority to create a copy of a Qld Transport plate. I paid the $34 when I bought my personalised plates, so I don't need to pay it again. It's almost like PPQ need to personalise your standard rego before they can make a plate.

Hope this makes sense.

*** Also this is my first post :) ***

tuco

Postby tuco » Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:10 pm

drevil wrote:I didn't pay that much when I got mine, so I called PPQ and checked the price.

If you have personalised plates, the cost is only $20.45, but if you don't it costs $54.95.

The extra $34 is for PPQ to process and essentially get the authority to create a copy of a Qld Transport plate. I paid the $34 when I bought my personalised plates, so I don't need to pay it again. It's almost like PPQ need to personalise your standard rego before they can make a plate.

Hope this makes sense.

*** Also this is my first post :) ***
I wondered why it was so much and they have the cheek to say on their on hold music they've raised $11,000,000 for road safety.
Maybe they should have the number plate "TERDS"