World Solar Challenge

Joeblake

World Solar Challenge

Postby Joeblake » Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:33 pm

Starts from Darwin on 18 October.

http://www.worldsolarchallenge.org/abou ... 5/overview" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wonder whether they'll eventually let electric pedallies in?

Interesting will be the "Cruiser" class, which is aimed at producing an electric vehicle suitable for everyday road use.

http://www.worldsolarchallenge.org/team ... iser_class" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
To acquire immunity to eloquence is of the utmost importance to the citizens of a democracy
Bertrand Russell

cj7hawk

Re: World Solar Challenge

Postby cj7hawk » Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:17 pm

Pedelecs would never make it - Nowhere to charge up, and not enough charge for a single day's riding, let alone the entire schedule. This would be complicated by a lack of anything solar related except what was purely token. Hugely ironic that their poster vehicle is a 3-wheeler and so would not qualify.

My electric bike would make it, but then it has a practical range of over 1000km standalone with fuel onboard. But at 20-30kph, would be a slow trip.

Keep in mind though - most of the competitors in this are using pedal-less bicycles anyway, with a solar panel attached.

A good competition for electrics would be to allow longer-range electrics to develop a suitable single-person commute vehicle for all weather to get to work and back over a 60~80km distance, with relaxed power constraints. This is a far more practical solution than "solar bikes" or impractical electric vehicles.

Bicycles simply aren't a practical solution to deal with future transport issues - not in Australia anyway. 5km is a reasonable maximum range for a bike, with 10km for a pedelec. Solutions outside of this range are required, either advanced electrics or hybrids - and the new laws do not support advanced electrics. :(

David

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:42 pm

I've read our city planners have bicycles in mind within 10km radius of the CBD.
I definitely haven't seen them refer to giant solar cockroaches, but I don't think that's the direct outcome of the challenge ;)

Joeblake

Postby Joeblake » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:31 pm

I'd say bikes are a practical solution. They just lack the infrastructure like roads. With a network as comprehensive as that which cars have I could travel into town almost as quickly as a bus (25 km). Getting home is a bit slower, but only because I have to finish on a 3 km climb. As it is, I can still reach the outskirts of the CBD in just over an hour.

This trike carries its own solar panels and finishes the day with almost full charge. And it's not streamlined. It'll reach 27 km/h without pedalling. I've had it pedalling at 45 km/h. If it was in a properly designed velombile shell I think it could, by regearing the motor, cruise at about 32-33 km/h. There are more efficient solar panels coming on the market regularly. I'd say that recharging would not be a great problem, although I'd be wanting a (much) shorter course than Darwin to Adelaide. And relay riders.

If the shade roof were replaced on this one with solar panels, that would supply a reasonable amount of juice to the batteries. ( The existing panels on my trike have, under good conditions, supplied a constant 14 watts of power. Quite enough to got a fairly satisfying distance.)

Remembering back to when the Solar Challenge first started, performances of the vehicles then were pretty ordinary compared to the last Challenge in 2013. I think our current crop of e-bikes and trikes are probably in the same position today, and better performance lies ahead.
To acquire immunity to eloquence is of the utmost importance to the citizens of a democracy
Bertrand Russell

Joeblake

Postby Joeblake » Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:06 pm

And they're off ...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-10-18/s ... de/6863686" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bertrand Russell

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:07 pm

You'll have an ant's leg-up in the wasteland when things ever stabilise again after an apocalypse. Better stock up on tazers to protect those assets when the grasshoppers come knocking!

[sunnyspringdaydream]
If the renewable energy supply made it as affordable as we have water, instead of taking charging with us, it could be ubiquitous, with individuals and far-off service stations taking care of needs for off-grid stretches.
While yours could charge all day for a commuter, they could be centralised with convenient supply of facilities for factory (office) workers in the industrial (information technology) revolution with the benefit of the motor (electric) vehicle getting them to their place of work to enable trickle down (floodgates open upwards) wealth for all society for a better world for all (well the promise is always the same!).
[/sunnyspringdaydream]

I recently read an interview of a UK (English) women's record distance cyclist active pre/post WW2 era. She said it was much better then without any traffic and had the roads to yourself. She also said you don't need more than 3 speeds, but travelled light using cafes/motels. I expect a Highlander counterpart would have a different perspective ;)

geebee

Postby geebee » Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:51 pm

That tandem trike looks like you might get a 200 watt panel on there, basically in good sunlight giving unlimited assisted range.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:44 pm

I'm not quite sure how useful that sunshade is as shade. I see neither seat is shaded by it. :)

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:48 pm

May be an aero picnic table, and if parked facing north at noon you can warm your lunch and eat i shade.

Joeblake

Postby Joeblake » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:49 pm

What you can't see is the mechanism whereby the rider can tilt the trike so the shade is in the right place. :wink:

Bertrand Russell

Joeblake

Postby Joeblake » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:55 am

End of Day 1

http://www.worldsolarchallenge.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bertrand Russell

cj7hawk

Postby cj7hawk » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:19 am

geebee wrote:That tandem trike looks like you might get a 200 watt panel on there, basically in good sunlight giving unlimited assisted range.
And you can claim carpooling benefits too ! er. Bikepooling.

Joeblake

Postby Joeblake » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:36 am

Day 2

http://www.worldsolarchallenge.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bertrand Russell

Joeblake

Postby Joeblake » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:42 am

Day 3

Bertrand Russell

Joeblake

Postby Joeblake » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:35 pm

day 4

Bertrand Russell