First Road Race

amattinson

First Road Race

Postby amattinson » Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Did my first official road race today and got absolutely killed. I can keep up reasonably well on the club training rides and finish with the group in the few crits I have done with the club, but....
It was a 45km run from Terrey Hills to West Head and back through the hard way up from Akuna Bay ( for those not in Sydney it's quite undulating with dead roads, finishing off with one of the harder climbs in the north of Sydney).
Got dropped fairly early and then obviously spent most of the next hour on my own. The pace was reasonably high from the start and with the constant undulations there was no resting at all.
Needed a good kip when the kids were also asleep in the afternoon to make it through the day. Wife didn't like it as once I got home all I wanted was a sleep and was next to useless for the rest of the day :roll:

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:07 pm

Didn't know about that race. Who organised it? got a link.

Burn plenty of Glycogen
Frame Size Calculator
ImageImageImage
training log
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

sogood

Postby sogood » Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:09 pm

Yep, I was rather unpopular at home when I first start to ride with my club too. Every Sun I would come home mid-morning totally stuffed and could only lie on the sofa for the rest of the day. However, it all changed after about two months and my wife has been quite impressed with my physical improvements.

So you'll just have to do more and get fitter. :D
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

tuco

Re: First Road Race

Postby tuco » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:17 am

amattinson wrote:Did my first official road race today and got absolutely killed. I can keep up reasonably well on the club training rides and finish with the group in the few crits I have done with the club, but....
It was a 45km run from Terrey Hills to West Head and back through the hard way up from Akuna Bay ( for those not in Sydney it's quite undulating with dead roads, finishing off with one of the harder climbs in the north of Sydney).
Got dropped fairly early and then obviously spent most of the next hour on my own. The pace was reasonably high from the start and with the constant undulations there was no resting at all.
Needed a good kip when the kids were also asleep in the afternoon to make it through the day. Wife didn't like it as once I got home all I wanted was a sleep and was next to useless for the rest of the day :roll:
45km is quite a distance for a first road race. What grade are we talking here?

Don't be concerned by the nap requirement, we've all been through that. The first week I did 150+ km I was an absolute zombie for the entire week.

I started racing in January and yesterday was the first post race that I wasn't feeling like sitting (well lying down really) watching the footy and wanting to sleep.

amattinson

Postby amattinson » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:25 pm

mikesbytes wrote:Didn't know about that race. Who organised it? got a link.

Burn plenty of Glycogen
Frame Size Calculator
ImageImageImage
training log
It was run by Manly-Warringah and details are on the Northern Suburbs website www.northernsuburbscyclingclub.org.au There will be another in 2 weeks time starting Tepko Rd, Herrey Hills.
It is conducted in age categories which is part of my problem as I am normally a C/D grade but racing here against all grades of Masters. It is apparently the last road race in Sydney and in need of participants. There were about 40 riders last week across Elite, Masters and Women categories

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:39 pm

amattinson wrote:It was run by Manly-Warringah and details are on the Northern Suburbs website www.northernsuburbscyclingclub.org.au There will be another in 2 weeks time starting Tepko Rd, Herrey Hills.
It is conducted in age categories which is part of my problem as I am normally a C/D grade but racing here against all grades of Masters. It is apparently the last road race in Sydney and in need of participants. There were about 40 riders last week across Elite, Masters and Women categories
http://www.northernsydneycyclingclub.org.au/open/
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

amattinson

Postby amattinson » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:40 pm

Thanks Mike