Closure of Hutton Street PSP

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:25 am

Found on Cycle in Spring Blog
Q: The cycleway has disappeared at the Rosalea Stirling housing estate and its been gone for nearly 2 years now.
This forces riders to either navigate through the new suburb dodging workers utes & trailers or cross the freeway again and tackle Hector & Hutton St traffic.
Note: A friend of mine was cut off by a car in the estate early last week & crashed. The driver did not stop and left my friend badly grazed & bruised on the street with a buckled bike.
What can be done to force the council/ developers to restore the cycleway quickly?
Sounds like the same area this topic is about, and if so, someone else has been having additional problems in the area.

Does anyone have a cunning plan that can be activated?

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:21 am

Last Thursday, someone decided to rip up the curbing on the diversion that we are now following since the developers ripped up the dual-use path over 7 months ago, resulting in sand/crap everywhere. Today, someone decided to rip up several sections of the road, that is also part of the diversion. :evil:

No signs, no warnings. Be warned if you are contemplating using this area.

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:07 pm

Looks like this is going to be "interesting" to get my ride to work buddies through. They'll use it as an excuse to stop and catch the train!! (I'm sure you know who I mean Roland :wink: ). Maybe we'll take the beach route...

gdl_gdl

Postby gdl_gdl » Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:57 am

Today, someone decided to rip up several sections of the road, that is also part of the diversion.

I wish I had read your message on Friday! I went through there yesterday and it's a bit harsh for cyclists! As you said the surfaced road just goes without warning and you have to navigate through gravel on at least 3 sections. Not good!

Cheers,

Gary

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:56 pm

I have been in conversation with City of Stirling, and hopefully additional signs will be installed today warning cyclist of this road work. Either way, be careful in this area, as this is significant road work (ie around 10m in length) and currently still has gravel covering the area.

Moo, I'll see you on the bike path tomorrow. Am hopeful that I can pass the Clarkies, as I imagine that they will be significantly slowing you down. :o

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:39 pm

Hey Roland - I'll race ya!! Boy will the Clarkies be going slow!! Both are very scared. MC is not worried about making the distance, more the state he'll be in when he gets there!! GC doesn't know what MC has to worry about considering...!! :shock: I think GC is hoping for a puncture...he is refusing to carry a spare tube, but I've got patches :twisted:

See you tomorrow no doubt :)

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:42 am

Sad news, though someone has straightened up the diversion signs in this area, there is still limited warning that this area is now gravel.

Back to plan B, ride with care. In the case of Moo, this will be very slow with her work colleagues.

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:53 pm

rolandp wrote: In the case of Moo, this will be very slow with her work colleagues.
I was careful - I've slid out on similar stuff when I was in my youth and didn't want to face the embarrassment again!!

We were slow, but it could have been worse. 15.6 average, but that was for my 2h of riding. GC walked the hills and took 2.5h (I waited for him at the top of the hills), so he was probably closer to 12. I'm sure I could work it out if I could be bothered!!

Didn't see you this morning, or did you give us a wide berth? :lol:

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:24 am

I take back my last comment. I rode through this area at around 6:30am. I first noticed additional diversion signs which were not there the previous night, and thought Say What.

Rode a little further, and there was a mass of diversion signs, so much so, I was passing 'Diversion Begins', 'Diversion Ends' every 10m.

Going home this evening, I stopped and thought, thought a little longer, and eventually worked it out. The diversion signs took you a journey through the estate, to avoid the road works. Only added an additional 1 Km to the journey.

I didn't notice it in the morning, as the critical part of the lovely diversion was missed off, as we have been on a diversion route for the last 7 months and I continued on the initial diversion which was also marked.

The ironical thing was that the second diversion took you through sections where there was sand and massive chunk of wood on the road. Disappointing that who ever put the diversion in place, didn't think to also arrange a street cleaner before sending us down that path.

Majority of riders, and all cars, ignored this signage.

Moo, I take it I was a little early for you. I thought you were heading off around 5:00am, so I timed it so that I was on the paths at when I thought you would also be. However, if you got into Perth around noon (ie 12), then I only missed you by around 4 hours. We had a lovely breakfast with 35-40 people riding in, picked up a tee-shirt thanks to Corporate Challenge and apart from Princeton Estate, had a fantastic ride in. It was nice to have extra people of the paths, as during Winter, it can be a little lonely.

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:18 am

We headed off at 6am and had just got to the start of the freeway at 6.30. That was 10% of the ride done in...30 minutes :? I found percentages made them feel much better than distances :) GC wants a repeat by the end of November with a goal to do some training (he was in bed by 4pm!!) and beat his time.

I'm gonna give him a training plan and all the help he needs. Trouble is, we have a bet that if he loses 30kg, I have to wear a dress (and all the girly fruit that goes with it) to our company awards dinner next year :shock: Helping him might end up making me go shopping for something that matches my tan lines!! What have I gotten myself into?!

gdl_gdl

Postby gdl_gdl » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:44 pm

The gravel roads have now been tarmacked (is that a word?)! I rode down here last night on the way home!

Cheers,

Gary

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:43 pm

Just heard from the City of Stirling. Another 3 months before the developers will complete the dual-use path.

This will be a total of 10 months since the dual-use path was destoyed by the developers.

Wonder if there is a record for the greatest length of time from a private developer destroying public property, in this case a dual-use path, to when the developer corrects the original issue. This estate must have exceeded it. What a disgrace.

rambler1au

Postby rambler1au » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:04 pm

I wouldnt hold my breath the job looks a long way off yet.

But let me say that the original path was nothing to shout about it was in crap condition for most of its life so we can only hope we get better than a rubbish bitumen path. I would be pushing for a proper bike path like they have around Burswood.
What’s with these recumbent bicycles? Listen, buddy, if you wanna take a nap, lie down. If you wanna ride a bike, buy a bicycle

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:35 am

The limestone wall has now been completed. The limestone wall was indicated that it had to be build before the developers could re-install the dual-use path.

I posed a question to MainRoads, DPI and City of Stirling last week when the dual-use path will be completed, now that that the wall was finished, with one response so far, "Don't know".

To recap this chain:
  • Developers pulled up the dual-use path in March 2008 - without correct authorisation
    We are diverted through an estate which is in the process of being built - building rubbish every where and construction vehicles parking illegally
    I have personally been verbally and physically assaulted, nearly been run over by construction vehicles, fell off my bike to avoid a head-on collusion
    Have put up with the slowness in resolving the lack of a dual-use path now for 9 months
    Lack of ownership on how this will be resolved
And now can’t get confirmation when the dual-use path will be completed. There is not much else you can do except smile, and write the 100 Ministerial letters complaining about the issue.

All I want for Christmas, is the dual-use path in this area. I’m not holding my breath I will get this for Christmas 2008.

rustguard

Postby rustguard » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:27 pm

I'd be really surprised if 99% of council electee's weren't deeply involved in property development. This whole development was built on one of the area's few wetlands, a whole eco system was destroyed to build a tiny pond and many box houses. there was never any discussion of environmental impact. The only people who complained were the market gardeners because of the cyanide levels they suddenly experienced when the swamp was filled in. This used to be a big swamp(wetland) the mitchel freeway cut it in half (this is why the freeway sunk down around the stirling trainstation) and now with the ikea development both sides are gone forever. I used to walk down through the swamp in between Hutton and karriyup road, it was a lovely and peaceful area completely cut off from the rest of the surrounding city, I'd call for a royal comission but as far as I can see- in this country raping the land is not against the law. They have also developed a large slice of the gwelup wetland as well. Lucky we have an abundance of wetlands in WA!(sarcasm) :twisted:

Joeblake

Postby Joeblake » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:54 pm

I used to live in Leederville many years ago and rode up through that area on quite a few occasions. Very sad to see what's happened.

Joe
To acquire immunity to eloquence is of the utmost importance to the citizens of a democracy
Bertrand Russell

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:38 pm

Feedback from MainRoads today:
According to the developer the PSP is scheduled to be completed by 20/1/09.
The linemarking will be arranged by Main Roads and will follow asap after construction has been completed.
Is there a light at the end of the very dark tunnel?

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:28 pm

No light at the end of the tunnel...but lots of skin :evil:

Heading home from work today (Bentley), Mr Moo did the diversion, came back onto the cement coloured path, then turned for north on the dog leg, then slipped on all the soil covering the path.

Someone helped him up and made sure he was OK. Right brifter scratched, knee and leg grazed lightly, elbow grazed hugely.

I thought the big loud girly cries coming from the shower were bad...then I made him apply Dettol :twisted:

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:39 pm

Sorry to hear about Mr Moo. I am in e-mail conversation with MainRoads etc, and will report this back to them.

There was a grader working on the future dual-use path this morning, and I'm taking a stab here, but as a result of heavy machinery, the temporary dual-use path is all cracked on that dog-leg section. I went down the hill from Hutton St, turned into the section, and was surprised how much the tempory path has ruined. One would think that if you are operating that sized equipment, and using a temporary dual-use path, that you would check to make sure it is OK after you have travelled on it.

For those riding in the area, be careful, as those crackes are bad.

PS latest I heard is that it is now a couple of days delay. It had better be finished for Australia Day for those riding into Perth for the fireworks.

rambler1au

Postby rambler1au » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:20 pm

This path is now really dangerous so it had better be fixed quickly.

1 Theres really bad holes in the path where it deviates to Princeton from Hutton

2 At night it looks like the path carries on whilst travelling north from Hutton but just the foundations of the new path that have been built, theres no path so someone can definitely end up in loose limestone.
What’s with these recumbent bicycles? Listen, buddy, if you wanna take a nap, lie down. If you wanna ride a bike, buy a bicycle

20thCB

Postby 20thCB » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:17 pm

Isn't it quicker to just come off the PSP and go over the footbridge into Osbourne Park if heading south? Then cross the lights and take first left to rejoin PSP. That way you avoid the messed up path and the Hutton Street traffic light system.

DrJ

Postby DrJ » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:42 pm

20thCB wrote:Isn't it quicker to just come off the PSP and go over the footbridge into Osbourne Park if heading south? Then cross the lights and take first left to rejoin PSP. That way you avoid the messed up path and the Hutton Street traffic light system.
It definitely is - I have been doing this for years, because that section of the path was a goat track even before the developers dug it up, and the 4 changes of lights to get across the Hutton St intersection takes forever!

I actually carry on down Frobisher St to Gordon Rd, that way the rough concrete section of the path with several road crossings is missed also.

The traffic can be a bit heavy, particularly where you have to get out of the left lane going south on Hector at the Hutton St lights, but on balance is much better than the "official" route.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:56 pm

I actually disagree that the overpass/Hector St is quicker. I have actually beat a couple of road riders, whilst on a MTB. I'm not indicating I'm fast, in fact potentially the referse, but was still able to make the journey on the original PSP faster than the other route. However, I can't brag about this now, due to the diversions through Princeton Estate.

Hector St you also have to content with the large trucks entering/exiting the metal supplier, and I've on two occassions avoided cars going through red lights at Hector/Hutton St, so not a good intersection.

Regardless of the above, as we all have personal tastes on routes, the issue remains that the developers destroyed the PSP 10 months ago, and to be honest, with two working days left until they are scheduled to complete it, water drainage work still continues along the replacement path, piled up sand needs to be removed before the final path is re-installed.

I will be very pleased if this is completed it in the next two days so I may be proved wrong.

20thCB

Postby 20thCB » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:56 pm

DrJ wrote: I actually carry on down Frobisher St to Gordon Rd, that way the rough concrete section of the path with several road crossings is missed also.
Hmmm I might try this, thanks for the tip!

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:34 am

Warning, City of Stirling this morning blocked off the PSP at the overpass area (ie from Osb Park - Stirling). All bikes are being diverted through the Princeton estate (no warning signs that the PSP is closed so when you turn the corner be prepared to exit the PSP from the curb). There are no warning signs to the South either so that if you are travelling North this morning and use this overpass, you may be in for a large diversion back.