Continental Gatorskin Tyres - A Good training choice?

Marv

Continental Gatorskin Tyres - A Good training choice?

Postby Marv » Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:54 pm

I have looked around the internet and these seem to fit my needs.
Definatley not concerned with racing but I need a good All Weather reliable tyre.

Anyone here used them?
Do they live up to their reputation in the real world?

Cheers Team.

timbo

Postby timbo » Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:13 am

I have used them for around a year now, just for training purposes, and have only had one puncture so far which was a small piece of wire, the likes of which went through the kevlar belt on my previous set of tyres, so generally they have done their job very well.

Marv

Postby Marv » Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:52 am

Thanks for your response Timbo.

Glad to hear they are indeed tough.
How do you find them in the wet and also how is their rolling resistance?
I have heard that Continentals give a ride like no other or are they just a tyre that keeps the bike of the ground just like any tyre does?

Im just trying to justify the expense of these over a cheaper trye?
Me thinks the punctureproofing may be enough justification in itself.

gdl_gdl

Postby gdl_gdl » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:03 am

I also use them and I'm very happy with them. I've only had one puncture in 4 months, (which was caused by rolling over a large stone which I somehow didn't see!) Prior to the new tyres I was having punctures every 4/6 weeks.

I can't vouch for how they perform in the wet as the roads here don't retain much surface water and it's very rare I'd be out on the road and a rainstorm would come in.

Cheers,

Gary

Marv

Postby Marv » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:12 am

Thanks Gary.

Sounds good.
Yeah, since I'm in Tassie I know there will be days that I either head out in the Rain or get no ride in for a week or so.

I think it time to make a few calls to find out how cheap I can get them.

Cheers Team.

My bike ATM has a Detonator on the front that is starting to harden on the shoulder.
I dont think I would go anywhere near water on that tyre.
The rear tyre is a Vittoria that is in pretty good condition so it will serve as a backup just fine.

Halfanewb

Postby Halfanewb » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:50 am

Hi Marv , i was checking out some tires for the roadie online the other day and came across these Rain tyre.

Happy trails :)

Marv

Postby Marv » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:01 am

Thanks Imanewbie.

I have managed to find a pair of the Gators for $95 delivered, that is AUD too :lol:

Seems to be a good deal to me.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:03 am

I have been told that The Gatorskon are excellent for puncture resistence as well, and will give them a go once my current tyres wear out/get shagged.

It would be good to get your feedback once you have them on.

Cheers

Michael B

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:24 am

Gator Skins have a good reputation for puncture resistance.

However, I heard yesterday that a bloke got a nail and it went thru not only the tyre and tube but thru the rim as well.

Burn plenty of Glycogen
Frame Size Calculator
ImageImageImage
training log
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:33 am

mikesbytes wrote:Gator Skins have a good reputation for puncture resistance.

However, I heard yesterday that a bloke got a nail and it went thru not only the tyre and tube but thru the rim as well.
When you are due, you are due !!!!

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:41 pm

MichaelB wrote:When you are due, you are due !!!!
I've already had my quota this year. 10th flat of the year on Sunday. Hit an unknown object doing 65-70kph down a hill and flat spotted a tyre with 120psi in it.

Burn plenty of Glycogen
Frame Size Calculator
ImageImageImage
training log

ican

Postby ican » Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:48 pm

I have been using the gator skins for about two years and in that time I have had one puncture (small nail through the tyre). Dry grip is very good and wet grip is fine, I've only had the tyre let go momentarily just after it started raining other than that it has been good. I ride with a bunch every week in Ulverstone and about 25% of the riders use the Ultra ator skins.

Craig

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:39 pm

From Dean Woods Internet site, here is a pdf of theContinental tyres and their specific strengths/weaknesses (Grip, punture resistance, rolling resistance, mileage) - MTB as well as road.

Appears to be a bit out of datye, as it doesn't list the Grand Prix Force & Attack tyres, and also lists the GP3000 whilst the GP4000 seems to be the latest, but good info anyways....

Continental tyre guide

Cheers

Michael B

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:36 pm

The Continental website has information about all of their tyres.

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:03 pm

Looking at those charts, for all round performance, it's still GP4000 that's best suited to OP's requirements. I guess the other key issue will be in the price. Based on PBK's prices, that's $41 vs $33.

Personally I've been using GP4000 for the last few thousand Ks and have had two punctures. Both times were due to significantly sized sharp metal objects that would have done any tyre in, one an 1" nail, the other a large industrial staple.

BTW, Continental's official site for bicycle tyres is at,

http://www.conti-online.com/generator/w ... ex_en.html
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

geoffs

Postby geoffs » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:10 pm

We use 28c Conti Gatorskins on the Santana tandem and have found them to be excellent. They would be the No. 1 choice for a performance 700c tandem tyre and if they will handle a tandem then tey should be fine on a single.

Cheers

Geoff

Halfanewb

Postby Halfanewb » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:28 pm

sogood wrote:Looking at those charts, for all round performance, it's still GP4000 that's best suited to OP's requirements. I guess the other key issue will be in the price. Based on PBK's prices, that's $41 vs $33.
I hear ya about the price, the lbs stocks them for $105 each, cell bikes has them for $80 and the cheapest i've found them in aussie is not below $75 . I would love to get them but i cant justify spending that sort of money on a bike tyre , jebus i can buy a tyre for my car for $120.

I might consider it if i was racing, but most of my riding is training/fitness anyhow and there is a plethora of tyres that will do this more than adequately for under $40.

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:39 pm

Imanewbie wrote:I might consider it if i was racing, but most of my riding is training/fitness anyhow and there is a plethora of tyres that will do this more than adequately for under $40.
That's the whole point. Bike tyres are ridiculously over priced here in Oz. Mail order from Probikekit.com makes all the difference.

geoffs

Postby geoffs » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:51 pm

[/quote]

I hear ya about the price, the lbs stocks them for $105 each, cell bikes has them for $80 and the cheapest i've found them in aussie is not below $75 . I would love to get them but i cant justify spending that sort of money on a bike tyre , jebus i can buy a tyre for my car for $120.

I might consider it if i was racing, but most of my riding is training/fitness anyhow and there is a plethora of tyres that will do this more than adequately for under $40.[/quote]

Yes there are but do they grip in wet weather? most probably not
Will they wear out quicker? most probably yes

also depends on how many kms you do and how you like to ride.

I used to use the old specialized turbos which had great grip but only lasted for a 2,000kms if I was lucky due to glass cuts and wear and tear.
So they would last less than a month. The car was much cheaper on tyres!

Marv

Postby Marv » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:39 am

Thanks for all the info peoples.

They should be here Today sometime and at $47.50 each I have to at least try them.
If they last I will get them again, if they dont I will try something else.
At that price though they are cheaper than just about anything at the LBSs.
BTW I can get tyres for my car for $50.00 bucks each so it sure does seem silly spending that sort of cash on 220grammes of rubber.

I also play Bass guitar and strings are anything from $40 to $80 and they are lucky to last longer than 6 months is some cases.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:50 am

geoffs wrote:

I might consider it if i was racing, but most of my riding is training/fitness anyhow and there is a plethora of tyres that will do this more than adequately for under $40.[/quote]

Yes there are but do they grip in wet weather? most probably not
Will they wear out quicker? most probably yes

also depends on how many kms you do and how you like to ride.

I used to use the old specialized turbos which had great grip but only lasted for a 2,000kms if I was lucky due to glass cuts and wear and tear.
So they would last less than a month. The car was much cheaper on tyres![/quote]

Their a lot cheaper at PBK, low $40s for GP4000, $35 for pro race2. Also you can get pro race2 for $35 at bike bug up the top of North Sydney.

Halfanewb

Postby Halfanewb » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:00 am

Ive seen a few posts mentioning them and took a peek last night , the prices are very nice indeed :)

Thanks for the info guys !

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:47 am

Marv wrote:BTW I can get tyres for my car for $50.00 bucks each so it sure does seem silly spending that sort of cash on 220grammes of rubber.
The price/kg of copper and gold are dramatically different too. For a $50 car tyre, I wouldn't want to push it too hard.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:05 pm

Marv wrote: BTW I can get tyres for my car for $50.00 bucks each so it sure does seem silly spending that sort of cash on 220grammes of rubber.
Bloody well right. But then again, how often do you get punctures in tyres ? I would rather pay $50 or so for one that had greater puncture resistance (from a shop at a good price) like the Gatorskin or GP4000 rather than save a few bucks and get punctures more regularly.

So far, i haven't had one of those things that starts with the letter geographically situated equidistant between O and Q yet with the new bike and I have completed 501km now, so I'm happy so far.

The tyres that came on the bike are Bontrager Race Lite (205gms each) abd have a centre strip that takes the normal straight line wear, and a different compund for the cornering, but the tyre doesn't have the normal "round" profile, so that may help.

Don't think they'll last long given their wear so far, so may stump up for some of the Continental GP4000 when they are due.

Any others that seem to offer the same level of grip/puncture resistance for a similar price ?

Cheers

Michael B

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:09 pm

That's interesting. I've got the Bontrager Racelite's on the Black Beast. 1200km and they're still showing the molding strip down the middle, even on the back. You must be heavier than me :D

Richard