Red bull type drinks

tuco

Red bull type drinks

Postby tuco » Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:40 pm

I noticed a lot of riders were drinking V or red bull type drinks before the raced on Sunday.

Does anyone here drink them?
If so do you think they help?

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:43 pm

Nope, don't touch them any more. They taste gross and don't really work as a pick me up for me.

Sugar will help, caffeine will hinder (in physical terms), by decreasing your ability to absorb water.

They might give you a boost short term because of the stimulant effect.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:26 pm

Great marketing - that is all they are.

Just look at how much money Red Bull's founder is spending on his
F1 teams .

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:28 pm

There's a learned article by the AIS regarding the use of caffiene as a supplement.

tuco

Postby tuco » Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:04 pm

Okay, I'll leave them alone.

Sunday went okay with 'Up and go' (mainly as a time saver - 10 seconds compared to 10 minutes making up the equivalent) and a banana and few 'snakes' pre race. Also noticed a lot of riders using them as well.

I'm going to use the Endura (on longer rides, etc) since sweating is a big part of life up here when riding.
I looked at bottled gatorade and powerade but at least with the powdered goods I can mix it weaker if I want to too. I know one or both of them can be purchased as a powder but I'll stick with what I've been using.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:30 pm

LuckyPierre wrote:There's a learned article by the AIS regarding the use of caffiene as a supplement.
Interesting how expensive the sugar/caffiene hits are from the V/Red Bull/Mother "energy" drinks are when compared to a "strong" cup of coffee !!!

Cheers

Michael B

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:44 pm

They were handing out 'Mother' drinks as a promotion at my servo the other day. Well, I thought it was a promotion. After trying it, I realised it was probably the only way they could get rid of the muck (we need a barfing smilie)

Richard

stryker84

Postby stryker84 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:25 pm

they're probably actually worse for you healthwise, with the amount of sugar that's actually in them.
and sure, they'll give you a great kick to start, but then they'd start dehydrating you with the caffeine and high sugars...

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:35 pm

I have found they will work if you are mentally tired but not if you are phiciclly tired.
But as a general rule I stay away from it because after a while your body becomes dependent for a pick up. :shock:

Donald
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated

wombatoutofhell

Postby wombatoutofhell » Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:59 pm

no idea on the energy drinks-but i agree with the up and go. i had one yesterday before a 15 km run-like tuko it was a time saver, nut i was surprised how good i felt-ample energy to complete the distance. i'll be using it before every run now-and rides when i get into distance work

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:03 pm

I drink water when riding. Good old tap water. It's free too. :D

If you want a good energy boost when riding, just imagine that you are chasing someone in a car that just attempted to run you off of the road. Works for me everytime. :D

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:33 pm

heavymetal wrote:I drink water when riding. Good old tap water. It's free too. :D

If you want a good energy boost when riding, just imagine that you are chasing someone in a car that just attempted to run you off of the road. Works for me everytime. :D
+1

Burn plenty of Glycogen
Frame Size Calculator
ImageImageImage
training log
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:28 pm

Water is good. Dunno about chasing down a cretin tho', what would I do if I caught him?