QR Skewer Failure...

wintal

QR Skewer Failure...

Postby wintal » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:53 pm

Had an interesting ride home yesterday, as I went around a corner I heard a snapping sound and my rear wheel went a bit sloppy. When I stopped it to have a look I found the (brand new) Campagnolo QR skewer had failed - the lever wouldn't stay in the closed position. I tightened it up by turning the nut on the other side and got home fine.

When I got home I had a proper look at it, and it looks like the lever is no longer connected to the bit that moves back and forth, the linkage has probably snapped.

Anyone had a skewer fail like this? I swear it was done up to the same tightness I've been using for 3-4 years with the old style campagnolo skewer. These new campy skewers always looked cheap and nasty to me, so I'm not too upset going back to my old shiny ones ;)

And here's a pic for the skewer, I just realised that I forgot to take the correct picture to show how it's failed, but it's probably pretty obvious to people who are familiar with them.

Cheers,
Leighton...

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:01 pm

that would be nice in a downhill corner!...

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:12 pm

Well that is interesting....

I recall a thread - not sure if on this forum - where I amongst others pooh poohed the idea of a rash of breaking Campagnolo skewers. This is one only, and a newer one, but maybe there's something to watch out for...

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:13 pm

Interesting, my newish Campy skewers don't look like that. At least they don't have those stamped lettering. Do they have different models?
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

wintal

Postby wintal » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:14 pm

rustychisel wrote:Well that is interesting....

I recall a thread - not sure if on this forum - where I amongst others pooh poohed the idea of a rash of breaking Campagnolo skewers. This is one only, and a newer one, but maybe there's something to watch out for...
I must admit, this is the main reason I posted - to see if it had happened to others, or if it was somehow user error (I imagine overtightening a QR skewer can cause failure). I did some googling and couldn't find anything about campy skewers failing, but since you bring this up I'll do a more thorough search when I get a moment.

Cheers,
Leighton....

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:20 pm

viewtopic.php?t=8934&highlight=campagnolo

'choof' indeed. Seems a different sort of issue, but there you go. I must remember to roll the bike shop owner a spliff.

wintal

Postby wintal » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:21 pm

sogood wrote:Interesting, my newish Campy skewers don't look like that. At least they don't have those stamped lettering. Do they have different models?
I have at least one other type of Campagnolo skewer (several years old now), I'll take a photo tonight and throw it up (as well as one to show how it actually failed). These skewers came with a set of centaur hubbed handbuilts I bought from Ribble, so I'm not entirely sure what spec they're supposed to be.

I would guess there's many different skewer types - it's one of those things that seems to get shaved for weight savings. I think I threw these on a scale (I was curious why they'd changed the design) and found they were the same weight as the ones that came with the Vento wheelset, which is ~Centaur level I think so maybe it's the current Centaur level one? Dunno really.

Cheers,
Leighton...

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:24 pm

Just had a look at Campag's catalogue. At least in the photos, only the lower end wheels had skewers with stamped lettering. Zonda/Eurus etc didn't have any lettering on their skewers nor does mine. Looks like that there are different models.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

grantos

Postby grantos » Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:10 pm

that sounds nasty, i have black QR skewers which are new campy 08,
mine are always fairly tight though so i don't give it a second thought,
i'd take them back to the person you bought them off and demand something that works