2014 Global Cycling Market Valued at $54 Billion

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

2014 Global Cycling Market Valued at $54 Billion

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:50 am

Interesting data on the value of sales in the global cycling industry. For perspective, € 34.7 billion = AUD 53.9 Billion as of todays exchange rate. To begin, it is worth keeping in mind that the Australian industry alone has been estimated at $ 1 billion which is 1.9% of the total global market. As an interesting contrast, Australian sporting success in different varieties is far more prevalent - though Australian cycling is traditionally sports orientated whereas in Europe and Asia, functional (transport) cycling plays a far greater role than sports cycling

Article Excerpt:
A recent survey on the global cycling market by the Paris based NPD Group, a provider of consumer and retail market research information for a wide range of industries, revealed the € 35.7 billion size (USD 47.4 billion) of the 2014 worldwide bike market at retail level, after VAT.

133 million bikes sold
The survey estimates that, around the world, 133.1 million bicycles (including e-bikes) were sold last year. The total value of that sale at retail level stood, according to the survey, at € 25.4 billion. Average sales price per bike was calculated at € 191. Sales of P&A as well as repair and rental services are valued at € 10.3 billion. Apparel and footwear sales value stood at € 2.2 billion. according to NPD.

According to the NPD study the bike market in 2014 increased by +1.8% in value compared to 2013 which was estimated at a total value of € 35.1 billion. Europe (including Russia) is not only setting the trends but is also the world’s biggest market. In 2014 all cycling sales in Europe is estimated to account for a total value of € 12.8 billion which is 36% of the estimated value of the global cycling market.

(continues)

Source : Bike Europe
Cycling is in my BNA

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: 2014 Global Cycling Market Valued at $54 Billion

Postby Boognoss » Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:42 pm

Interesting, of course the Australian share as far as our significant others are concerned would be about $200M? (How much we tell them we spent :-)).

I wonder if this is a actual spend of dollars within Australia, or are overseas online stores included in that I wonder?
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

trailgumby

Re: 2014 Global Cycling Market Valued at $54 Billion

Postby trailgumby » Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:31 pm

I must admit, that number strikes me as somewhat small. Having worked compiling the numbers for board reporting for an ASX20 Industrial with an Australian market turnover of just over $2bn 12 years ago, ~$50bn for the worldwide cycling industry somehow seems low, and I'd expect it to be much higher than 26 times the turnover of one relatively insignificant Australian company.