Local governments to share Bikewest funding

Aushiker

Local governments to share Bikewest funding

Postby Aushiker » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:43 pm

Western Australian local governments can now apply for a share of $1.75million to expand their local cycling networks.

Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister for Transport Bill Marmion said the money could be used to build bicycle lanes, new shared paths and bicycle parking facilities, as well as develop local bike plans.

“The Bikewest grants program is an important element in the partnership between State and local governments to deliver cycling infrastructure across WA,” he said.

"Councils play a vital role in the development and maintenance of cycling networks.

“These provide enormous community health and social benefits and to the environment by providing safe cycling routes for recreational cyclists and reducing vehicle emissions.”

Mr Marmion said the grants were available as part of the 2009-10 Perth Bicycle Network and Regional Bicycle Network Local Government Grants Program.

He said in 2009-10, the annual grants program would allocate $1million to metropolitan councils and $750,000 to regional areas to develop and maintain new and current cycling infrastructure.

Project categories include bicycle lanes, local bike plans, new shared paths, path upgrades and bicycle parking facilities.

The Department for Planning and Infrastructure's Bikewest Branch will administer the program.

Application forms and guidelines can be downloaded from the Department for Planning and Infrastructure cycling website through Perth Bicycle Network Grants at http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/cycling/1535.asp or Regional Bicycle Network at http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/cycling/2909.asp.

Andrew

Caelum

Postby Caelum » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:48 pm

wait... the state government has only made 1.75mil available?

That's.... umm... really?

Am i missing something here?

sittingbison

Re: Local governments to share Bikewest funding

Postby sittingbison » Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:23 pm

Aushiker wrote:...Project categories include bicycle lanes, local bike plans, new shared paths, path upgrades and bicycle parking facilities...
$1.75m would cover about 1/100th of this list.
I have a cunning plan, as cunning as a fox who's just been appointed Professor of Cunning at Oxford University

toofat

Postby toofat » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:01 pm

This is really terrific news,
I'm so excited
A million between 30 Councils

33,333 dollars

So much we could do with that, I will suggest that my council forms a steering committee to do a feasability study (using imput from independent consultants to give it credibility) on how best to spent this windfall
that should use up all the funds, we wont have any more cycling infrastructure but we will have a great report that we can use for next time,

unless of course its out of date by then, things might of moved on, the consultants will be able to tell us. :?

sittingbison

Postby sittingbison » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:05 pm

it costs about $30k to put in a roundabout
I have a cunning plan, as cunning as a fox who's just been appointed Professor of Cunning at Oxford University

Caelum

Postby Caelum » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:13 pm

sittingbison wrote:it costs about $30k to put in a roundabout

how much for sharp spikes in the road, horizontally, spaced at about 20cm apart? :lol:

sittingbison

Postby sittingbison » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:26 pm

I would estimate that would cost.....your life!

Caelum

Postby Caelum » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:44 pm

sittingbison wrote:I would estimate that would cost.....your life!

I can dodge them on my bike.....

Cars? Unlikely :P

sittingbison

Postby sittingbison » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:01 pm

a likely story :wink: