Ride my age

ColinOldnCranky

Ride my age

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:59 pm

The other three were done early in the year so it's been qa while since I rode my age but I managed ot today.

Like all others it did not start out as my aim but it just happened. Got a flat in the middle of it too. Still, I needed the rest. It certainly was hot, I had to strip off some gear here and there.

I think I must be getting old because every one this year has left me feeling quite tired and finding it hard to do those last 10kms. :?
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

rolandp

Re: Ride my age

Postby rolandp » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:23 pm

My dad does this each year for his birthday. We used to join him, but as his age is now approaching 80, he perfers to complete his birthday ride alone now.

He also rides most days.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:54 pm

Local guy here did his 100 km's last week... Feel good news story. Makes the National news here... And there apparently.
http://www.skynews.com.au/offbeat/artic ... ?id=800786" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:58 pm

...and better than 23kph, so not exactly a shuffle. Even with no wind and no slopes it takes a lot to hold that speed for 4 hours. A lot more than most people of ANY age can manage. Nothing short of awesome.

Of course, next year he has to do 101. :twisted:

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:55 pm

Mine is close to yours in date Colin, but not distance ;)
I don't have a uni, but am considering parity ballast by commuting on this beast tomorrow for its bi-annual ride.

It might just be cold and windy enough to not break a sweat if the ticker* can hold out ;)
* bonus points and seniors' discount for using an exclusive over 55's word?

I still have to practice the emergency braking skate shoe jammed in fork crown. Not required on sand, but on road roller brake rear is more about slowing enough to abandon ship than actually stopping. Adrenalin thrills like that make up for any lack of speed =D

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:30 pm

rolandp wrote:My dad does this each year for his birthday. We used to join him, but as his age is now approaching 80, he perfers to complete his birthday ride alone now.

He also rides most days.
I haven't seen you around much lately, maybe 'cos I am not taking the morning train much these days. Though I did recognise you a little too late about a month ago as you gave me a shout.

About your dad,"he prefers" is polite code for "I don't have time to wait around for you young guys. I'll go alone." :D Congrats to him, certainly the sort of inspiration that we need more of.

If he has further ambitions, a new record for the centenarian 100km has just been set. (4hrs 17min) He has 20 years to get ready for it.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:38 pm

Hi Colin, you are correct about my Dad. He wants to ride on the actual day, which statistically is a work day so we can't join him. I will remind him of the 100 when he get's closer to that age.

I'm still out there every day, and yes it was me a couple of weeks ago calling out to you. We are normally passing in opposite directions otherwise I would speed up to say hello.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:23 pm

I don't ever set out on a ride with the intention to do so. It just happens from time to time.

Today was one of those times. 64kms. Pretty chuffed. Pretty buggered.

Especially pleasing as I have been doing a fair bit less riding this year than the last couple. It's nice to have got a big one before I head overseas.

I'm glad that Australia went metric all those decades ago though. 62 miles? No way. :oops:

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:11 pm

I'm nearing 64 years of age so this year I have to manage at least one 64km ride in a day. Today I made an effort to get this one out of the way nice and early.

It was around 8 hours from when I left home to when I returned with around 6.5 hours actual riding time and I finished on 65.55km for the day. I was flagging in the last couple of hours and averaged a little under 10kph.

I have done one ride that was just a smidgin under or over 70km in the past. I think that this one was my second best to that.

I'm now a little bit burnt and a little weary. But the arrogance-buzz is cutting into that. A good start to the year. 8)

diventare

Postby diventare » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:35 pm

Ride your age on your birthday..what a great concept. Never heard it before.
This is a to do now.

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:03 pm

Bl**dy hell :shock: I'll be turning 56 next Thursday....and.....I'll be on nearly 2 weeks holidays....so I guess I MIGHT :roll: have a go at this myself :?

56 kms is a fair way on a pushy.....yesterday (NYD) I did a decent first ride of the year and managed 53kms and I was knackered but I was amazed at the amount of ground I had covered for just that amount of K's.

I probably could do a lot more on a 7kg racer but my umpteen plus kg Vivente and it's 117kg pilot really struggled with the long gradual climbs.

I plan on doing a fair bit of riding during my break...so yeah..this sounds like a plan!!

Cheers

brumby33

Dave
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

isabella24

Postby isabella24 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:52 pm

brumby33 wrote: 56 kms is a fair way on a pushy.....
It sure is, sounds like you are doing well though Brumby33, keep it up!
The Vivente is a great bike, albeit heavy as you pointed out.

The amazing thing about ColinOldnCranky is that he is doing his age on a unicycle! :shock:
80s Ken Evans / 2011 Trek Madone / 2013 Vivente World Randonneur / 2015 Lynskey Helix

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:14 pm

brumby33 wrote:I probably could do a lot more on a 7kg racer but my umpteen plus kg Vivente and it's 117kg pilot really struggled with the long gradual climbs.
Dave
See, that's my advantage. My ride is only 7.5kg with all lights, pump, meters, tool kit and a full water bottle. :mrgreen: (Should I add my loaded back back though?)

Pity about my lack of gears and the fixed wheel. :(

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:20 pm

diventare wrote:Ride your age on your birthday..what a great concept. Never heard it before.
This is a to do now.
Hmmm, That's a thought. Worth a thread?

Whatya reckon?

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:46 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:
brumby33 wrote:I probably could do a lot more on a 7kg racer but my umpteen plus kg Vivente and it's 117kg pilot really struggled with the long gradual climbs.
Dave
See, that's my advantage. My ride is only 7.5kg with all lights, pump, meters, tool kit and a full water bottle. :mrgreen: (Should I add my loaded back back though?)

Pity about my lack of gears and the fixed wheel. :(

Hey Col, that's amazing...never had a go on one of those things..I'm dangerous enough on 2 wheels let alone one :shock:

How do you handle the hills or is it just for the flat areas?

Cheers

Dave
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:39 pm

brumby33 wrote:
How do you handle the hills or is it just for the flat areas?

Cheers

Dave
With the extra low gear-inches inherent in an ungeared unicycle the force to be applied to the down-moving pedal to do useful work is quite low.

But it is natural to push the leading/front leg down harder than necessary and, to compensate, pressing the trailing leg coming up. This is wasted effort on the legs both fore and aft as they work against each other. The technique for greater efficiency is to focus on lifting the trailing leg off the pedal rather than telling my legs to push down on the front pedal. In simple terms, "lift, not push". It's not natural and, done well, for much of a ride the feet can be almost floating over the pedals. Very occasionally I will lose contact with both pedals for a turn or so (which can look quite comical :P ).

The same technique applies for moderate-medium inclines.

Because I was aiming for the long distance I was more deliberate in technique today. But even then it is still harder climbing hills than on a bike. And after getting to the crest I have to work just as hard coming down.