Winter Clothing - more than just staying warm ???

MichaelB

Winter Clothing - more than just staying warm ???

Postby MichaelB » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:40 am

Now that it is starting to get colder in the mornings in Adelaide, the thoughts of warmer gloves etc are starting to come to mind.

Nopw rthe real query is, that other than comfort, is there other benefits to be had to waering long sleeves/pants rather than the traditional garb ?

In my case, apart from discomfort in the beginning (until warmed up) I feel OK, but if I rug myself up, find I get too hot. I need the pleasant medium.

So without spending big bucks, what do people use/wear, and is theer anything other than comfort as to why ? i.e. helps protect joints/muscles ?

Cheers

Michael B

tuco

Postby tuco » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:55 am

Scarey - I was about to ask the same thing. It's cooling down here too. We got down to 19.8 last night :lol:

It'll be interesting to see what the locals wear here as it supposedly 'cools down.'

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:11 am

Temps the last few mornings have been about 15 degrees, but when it gets to 10 and below, that's when it gets cold.

I have decent full finger gloves, and they work a treat, but wondering more re the full sleeve length jersey's and full length bike nicks.

I see quite a few people wearing them when it is 26, so wondering if I am missing something ....

tuco

Postby tuco » Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:16 am

MichaelB wrote:Temps the last few mornings have been about 15 degrees, but when it gets to 10 and below, that's when it gets cold.

I have decent full finger gloves, and they work a treat, but wondering more re the full sleeve length jersey's and full length bike nicks.

I see quite a few people wearing them when it is 26, so wondering if I am missing something ....
Wearing at 26C may be more for sun protection.

What about a T shirt under a jersy on the really cold days for warmth? The wind does go straight through the jersies.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:20 am

tuco wrote:
Wearing at 26C may be more for sun protection.

What about a T shirt under a jersy on the really cold days for warmth? The wind does go straight through the jersies.
Fair enough. Got sunburn on the insides of my elbows after Sunday's ride :oops: I burn easy.

T-shirt under the jersey is an idea, but I was more wondering about areas that are still in the wind - forearms and lower legs/knees.

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:32 am

I have a light windproof vest that you can wear over a jersey, stops the wind from cutting through. A lot of people on my rides wear arm warmers, I have a pair.

Mostly you want to keep your chest elbows knees hands and feet warm.

Arm warmers are good because you can just pull them off and stuff them in your jersey/vest pocket if they get too hot. Likewise, windproof vest is good because you can just pull down the zip and get air conditioning.

tuco

Postby tuco » Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:37 am

Bnej wrote:I have a light windproof vest that you can wear over a jersey, stops the wind from cutting through. A lot of people on my rides wear arm warmers, I have a pair.

Mostly you want to keep your chest elbows knees hands and feet warm.

Arm warmers are good because you can just pull them off and stuff them in your jersey/vest pocket if they get too hot. Likewise, windproof vest is good because you can just pull down the zip and get air conditioning.
We were watching that cycling world show on SBS on Sunday (required watching after a race and while having lunch) and I saw one cyclist get to the top of a hill then he pulled up arm warmers which had bunched up around his wrists.

You could do what the pros do and stuff a newspaper up your jersey. Buy the paper on the way to the ride/race, use it then read it when you get home. Make sure the sports side is facing out, the paper could get a little soggy from sweat.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:46 am

tuco wrote: and I saw one cyclist get to the top of a hill then he pulled up arm warmers which had bunched up around his wrists.

You could do what the pros do and stuff a newspaper up your jersey.
Like the armwarmer thing - just do it in reverse.

Mate did the paper trick for our Sunday ride - single sheet did the trick for him.

tuco

Postby tuco » Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:53 am

MichaelB wrote:
tuco wrote: and I saw one cyclist get to the top of a hill then he pulled up arm warmers which had bunched up around his wrists.

You could do what the pros do and stuff a newspaper up your jersey.
Like the armwarmer thing - just do it in reverse.

Mate did the paper trick for our Sunday ride - single sheet did the trick for him.
It's surprising what will block out the wind chill.
It'd give you something to read if you had a mishap and had to wait to be picked up.

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:56 am

I cant help here, it doesn't get cold in Perth, but I'll be watching this thread as I'm off to Tassie for good in a couple of months and I need to find some good ideas for riding in the cold.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:39 pm

heavymetal wrote:I cant help here, it doesn't get cold in Perth, but I'll be watching this thread as I'm off to Tassie for good in a couple of months and I need to find some good ideas for riding in the cold.
Hmm

Cold in Adlaide = Warm to Hot inm Tassie

Cold in Tassie = Too bloody cold to ride anywhere else.

But, Tassie is a great place and been there many times. Much more fun in a car that handles well.

Have fun.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:56 pm

It gets colder in Adelaide than in Sydney, but I just layer up. Depending on how cold it gets. Singlet, bike jersey, another bike juersey, rain parker. long sleeve gloves. After I've warmed up, I take the rain parker off.

This winter I'm going to try leg warmers and over boots.

Burn plenty of Glycogen
Frame Size Calculator
ImageImageImage
training log
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

MJF

Postby MJF » Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:15 pm

Let's see... when I did my catch-up ride on Saturday, it was ~ 5C when I started, warming up to around 15C when I finished.

Roubaix longs, windproof jacket, UNO skull cap being my concessions to the cold... The sleeves from the jacket and the skull cap got ditched at the 30Km mark.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:32 pm

Looks like the arm and leg warmers are the go, and the T-shirt under the jersey.

Don't own a singlet (haven't for about 35 years), so will give that ione a miss :lol:

Cheers

Michael B

tuco

Postby tuco » Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:38 pm

MJF wrote:Let's see... when I did my catch-up ride on Saturday, it was ~ 5C when I started, warming up to around 15C when I finished.

Roubaix longs, windproof jacket, UNO skull cap being my concessions to the cold... The sleeves from the jacket and the skull cap got ditched at the 30Km mark.
Whoa! I'm glad I live in a warm climate.

I only own one pair of long pants which are as new after many, many years and I went 19 years without wearing a jumper/jacket.

Winter only lasts a week or two here so hopefully into be on a non racing weekend.
It'll be a shame to buy cold weather gear for only a couple of rides a year.

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:09 pm

tuco wrote:Whoa! I'm glad I live in a warm climate.
These are nothing! If you look at those N American/Euro forums, those guys tuck in and ride in-doors on their trainers for 3 months of the year. That's worse!
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:19 pm

Surely you'd get something with ultra-fat knobblies and cruise in the snow while all the cars are locked indoors...? :)

amattinson

Postby amattinson » Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:05 pm

You could do what the pros do and stuff a newspaper up your jersey. Buy the paper on the way to the ride/race, use it then read it when you get home. Make sure the sports side is facing out, the paper could get a little soggy from sweat.[/quote]

Isn't this the trick drunks use to stay alive in colder climes at night :wink:

tinstaafl

Postby tinstaafl » Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:40 am

I looked at the price of specialized bike clothing and decided to spend the extra bickies on the bike.
I layer up with 't' shirts from K Mart depending on the weather. None for warm days and four for cold days.
I then cover that with a long sleeved flannie to be rolled down for sun or cold.
I live in Melbourne so even that is not enough so I sometimes replace the flannie with a quilted flannie.
When it gets really cold I cover that with a wind jacket.

I found the flash coldweather gloves were too tight and restrictive so I bought a pair of long fingered gloves that are a size too big and I wear cotton glove liners. This works a treat. The liners are about a dollar a pair at K mart in the dishwashing and rubber glove area.

I go for long leg knicks as it cools.
I have never had an overheating problem on my legs and there is a good degree of abrasion protection.

The most important thing for me in the cold is to wear two Buff scarves.
one is pulled up from the neck to cover the back of the head and the other is pulled down from the top to cover the forehead and the ears. It is like a fully adjustable balaclava. You can pull it up or down and have your ears covered or uncovered. Very flexible.
A helmet to keep the pigs away and I am off.

Robert

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:52 am

Any recommendations for overboots ?

Burn plenty of Glycogen
Frame Size Calculator
ImageImageImage
training log
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

tuco

Postby tuco » Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:00 am

tinstaafl wrote:I looked at the price of specialized bike clothing and decided to spend the extra bickies on the bike.
I layer up with 't' shirts from K Mart depending on the weather. None for warm days and four for cold days.
I then cover that with a long sleeved flannie to be rolled down for sun or cold.
I live in Melbourne so even that is not enough so I sometimes replace the flannie with a quilted flannie.

I found the flash coldweather gloves were too tight and restrictive so I bought a pair of long fingered gloves that are a size too big and I wear cotton glove liners. This works a treat. The liners are about a dollar a pair at K mart in the dishwashing and rubber glove area.

I have never had an overheating problem on my legs and there is a good degree of abrasion protection.

one is pulled up from the neck to cover the back of the head and the other is pulled down from the top to cover the forehead and the ears. It is like a fully adjustable balaclava. You can pull it up or down and have your ears covered or uncovered. Very flexible.

Robert
Sounds easier to move to a warmer climate.

MJF

Postby MJF » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:01 am

mikesbytes wrote:Any recommendations for overboots ?
I have the UNO booties - made from the same material as my windstopper jacket, and relatively waterproof (shame that I can't stop water running down my ankles).

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:48 am

tinstaafl wrote:I looked at the price of specialized bike clothing and decided to spend the extra bickies on the bike.

Robert
Can you move with all of that gear on ?

drawn2mel

Postby drawn2mel » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:27 am

I've been camping around Tas so I'm getting a good feel for the weather, jury says that a sleeping bag with a 0degree rating will give you zero freakin sleep, [no matter how tired from riding you are]I now use two bags inside each other. the coldest temp so far on a ride began at 4degs.
SO.. clothes wise in Tas, 4degs=normal length nix and a longsleeve top with a short sleeve over the top and pray for sun. Day rides usually shorts, maybe 3/4 n short sleeve top. Same for night but take a jumper.

This all works for me but those who've got loads of bike gear seem to layer it up along way but I hate that uncomfortable claustrophobic feeling you get when youre all layered up n your body heat starts to rise,..and you cant breath either coz your not as fit as you remember being but still try to ride like it!

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:07 am

drawn2mel wrote:I've been camping around Tas so I'm getting a good feel for the weather, jury says that a sleeping bag with a 0degree rating will give you zero freakin sleep, [no matter how tired from riding you are]I now use two bags inside each other. the coldest temp so far on a ride began at 4degs.
Sounds beautiful to me. :D It brings back memories. Beats the hell out of the 35 degrees here and touring with no tent or sleeping bag and it's still too hot to sleep. :shock:

I've previously used the 2 sleeping bag trick in Tassie. What I save in weight from here by not having to carry so much water, I lose by having to carry the extra sleeping bag.

The main problem I had when touring the west coast was staying dry and being bombarded by hail stones.

I brought myself some BBB over shoes last year, but still have not used them. I ride in sandals all year round.

I'm looking at getting some stuff from ground effect in NZ, but I already have leg warmers, which I've never used either.

The guy who runs the crazyguyonabike web site was riding to work in winter in the snow and ice. He was running ice tyres with spikes, and he said that he rode in sandals with goretex socks and overshoes..

I'm making a list for my riding stuff when I get to Tassie. At least with full gloves on I can still change gears since I got rid of the brifters :D

Kev