Parts for retro bike

gururug

Parts for retro bike

Postby gururug » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:44 pm

Hi All,

Just got my hands on a retro steelie for rainy days / public parking (anti-theft measure).

It's a 5 speed rear cassette column shift.

One day the gears will wear out / rims get bent etc.

The question is,

a) Do I / can I upgrade to newer gear, 700c / 8-9 speed (newer groupset etc)
b) Do stockpile older bikes/parts with 27" rims and 5speed cassettes etc for parts in the future.

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:51 pm

Start stockpiling :D I know someone over here in the West with a huge stockpile of retro stuff. Where do you think I get my friction shifters from? :D

timbo

Postby timbo » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:37 pm

By all means, start stockpiling parts (in good condition), as 5 speed parts are no longer available. Have a good look at ebay as people try and offload their bikes like this for whatever money they can get, otherwise it goes to the tip. 8 and 9 speed parts will not fit your bike due to the difference in axle and hub widths to fit the extra gears. Perhaps invest in some new gear and brake cables to make shifting and braking smooth, and just keep the bike properly adjusted. Don't worry about the cosmetic appearance of the bike as this will only attract the undesirables.Enjoy the bike.

MJF

Postby MJF » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:06 am

Six speed clusters will fit... you just have to spread the frame very slightly.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:07 pm

MJF wrote:Six speed clusters will fit... you just have to spread the frame very slightly.
'

Won"t 6 speed fit without spreading the frame?

Burn plenty of Glycogen
Frame Size Calculator
ImageImageImage
training log
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:30 pm

Six speed will fit but the small cog will foul the frame and the derailleur will foul the spoke guard on the large cog.

Answer? Place a washer on the axle to move the frame away from the rear cog and remove the spoke guard. The derailleur and shifters will still cover the full range - at least, that's how it worked on the lad's seventies Gitane - it'll be a suck it and see effort with any bike.

Richard