Does Runing negatively impact cycling fitness?

CoffeeNut

Does Runing negatively impact cycling fitness?

Postby CoffeeNut » Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:40 pm

Have taken up running for fitness when travelling.
Good aero work for sure - but does it have any negative impacts on leg muscles in terms of pure cycling fitness?

I'm aware of the short term joint and muscle pain - know about that!

sogood

Postby sogood » Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:42 pm

You are not competing for the TdF yellow jersey immediately upon your return, so don't worry about it. Every bit of cardio fitness you keep through jogging would be a gift.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:55 pm

IMO as I am no expert :lol: ...if you "can" run comfortably I can't see a problem...but it will make no improvement on your riding either except to sustain a bit of a cardio workout if you are off the bike for a while.
I used to enjoy running but 50 meters will do me in now...but I still get the urge especially after a ride.

lang

Postby lang » Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:46 pm

Running = fantastic for cardiovascular fitness, so it's great for getting oxygen to those legs. It just wouldn't build up any of your cycling muscles.

timbo

Postby timbo » Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:48 am

The best thing about running is that it feels good when you stop.

Yes it will help cardio, and you will enjoy the comforts of the bike more when you hop back on.

moondog

Postby moondog » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:02 pm

runnig is a great cardio work out, and for fitness is better overall than cycling, as you use your core a lot more as well as your arms to some degree. as long as your enjoying i'd say keep up with the running as its only going to benefit you in your cycling and your overall health.

as someone else said earlier unless your going to give the tour de france a go this year every bit of cardio work helps, and will only benefit your aerobic capacity which will hell your cycling if aything

gsxrboy

Postby gsxrboy » Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:22 pm

I reckon doing a bit of cross training, including running, is probably beneficial actually, as you still need the weight bearing stuff.

*must start doing some other forms of ekkysize as well as cycling*

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:49 pm

Had to run for the Cat today at the train station (free bus in the city). Good thing I did too otherwise I would have had to walk to West Perth :shock:

Running adversely affects my cycling - I can't walk after I run and am in lots of pain :(

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:07 pm

Cycling is bad for your bones if that is all you do...you need a bit of weight bearing exercise.

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:55 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Cycling is bad for your bones if that is all you do...you need a bit of weight bearing exercise.
I wouldn't worry about that nor would I label it "bad". The bony density induced may be a bit lower than after hours of pounding the tarmac, but it would not be that different to a swimmer. Further, it'll still be higher than a sedentary person who doesn't exercise. Leg/knee muscle imbalance would be a better reason for the cross training.

thepj

Postby thepj » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:39 pm

what about boxing/kickboxing, would it affect your cycling?
2012 Merida Big Nine| 2011 Merida Sculpture 904
"If it doesn't scare you, Its not heavy/steep Enough" - Unknown.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:49 pm

true...it may be bad for your bones to only do cycling...some weight bearing exercise may be needed for good bone density.
But there is a possiblity that just sitting on your arse is better as you arent depleting your body to such an extent...if is true or not it's your body so look after it....
...which is why hormone replacement may be a good thing even thou it is cheating if you race :roll: :roll:

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:52 pm

thepj wrote:what about boxing/kickboxing, would it affect your cycling?
depends if someone knocks you out or not :lol: ...if you are racing then bulking up for boxing isn't of much use.Shite...do what you want...unless you are aiming at being a pro it isn't a big deal.
I took this a while back...but Lovemore is nearly 40 and out of all the boxers I have photographed his physic was amazing!!!.

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:57 pm

toolonglegs wrote:But there is a possiblity that just sitting on your arse is better as you arent depleting your body to such an extent...if is true or not it's your body so look after it....
Huh? :shock:

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:59 pm

Plenty of young pro or near pro cyclists in their 20's have the bone density of their grandmas!....

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:09 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Plenty of young pro or near pro cyclists in their 20's have the bone density of their grandmas!....
That's an isolated group, relatable to the bone physiology of that age group. For the mature aged cyclists, and certainly amateurs, it really is a non-issue.