When will M2 reopen...

AndrewCowley

Re: When will M2 reopen...

Postby AndrewCowley » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:50 pm

Is the official detour route well marked / signposted? I plan on using it soon and I don't know the local streets. Am worried I'll get lost...

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:54 pm

I rode sections of it in December and they were well underway with signage then. I think you'll be fine from now on given that westbound closes after the peak carpark tonight.
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

2Wheeler

Postby 2Wheeler » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:42 pm

Boognoss wrote:
vosadrian wrote:I've done that roundabout many times and never seen anyone go straight from right lane. Is that something you have seen regularly or just a potential issue?

Typically I find that drivers back off and let me go through the roundabout and then overtake me after the roundabout. This means I can merge to right lane in the roundabout anyway.
I've had a handful of impatient drivers go straight from the RH lane there - less than ten in hundreds of rides though. Still they're in the wrong going against the right-hand turn only arrow.
Hmm.. I'll check it out again today, but I could have sworn that right hand lane had painted on it straight arrow as well which means they can go straight.

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:49 pm

2Wheeler wrote:
Boognoss wrote:
vosadrian wrote:I've done that roundabout many times and never seen anyone go straight from right lane. Is that something you have seen regularly or just a potential issue?

Typically I find that drivers back off and let me go through the roundabout and then overtake me after the roundabout. This means I can merge to right lane in the roundabout anyway.
I've had a handful of impatient drivers go straight from the RH lane there - less than ten in hundreds of rides though. Still they're in the wrong going against the right-hand turn only arrow.
Hmm.. I'll check it out again today, but I could have sworn that right hand lane had painted on it straight arrow as well which means they can go straight.
Please check, unless it's changed the left lane is left/straight and right is right only. I rarely use that roundabout now to avoid that pinch climb to it.
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:52 pm

That pinch is fairly tough.... but what doesn't kill you makes you stronger!!

NOVISCOTT

Postby NOVISCOTT » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:53 pm

2Wheeler wrote:
Nah, it's pretty clear on Google Streetview. Right only from right lane. I think that's pretty standard when the road ahead is only 1 lane. Only when you continue with 2 lanes straight on can you go straight from both.

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:58 pm

vosadrian wrote:That pinch is fairly tough.... but what doesn't kill you makes you stronger!!
I prefer the exhilaration of peak hour traffic on Castle Hill Rd these days :).

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:05 pm

I used to do that pinch daily on the way home from work, but then I started going up the path to Castle Hill Rd and down Coonara to my house. From the top of the Coonara to my house is about 1.5kms and I don't need to turn a pedal stroke for that last 1.5kms, so I can get home with a low HR and most of the sweat dried off! Never had any major issues on Castle Hill Rd, but there is a lot of potential for one!

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:08 pm

vosadrian wrote:I used to do that pinch daily on the way home from work, but then I started going up the path to Castle Hill Rd and down Coonara to my house. From the top of the Coonara to my house is about 1.5kms and I don't need to turn a pedal stroke for that last 1.5kms, so I can get home with a low HR and most of the sweat dried off! Never had any major issues on Castle Hill Rd, but there is a lot of potential for one!
Nice, I turn off at Coonara too but have another couple of km to go after I get to the roundabout.

I've had a couple of angry motorists on Castle Hill Rd, but lower instances than expected.

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:15 pm

I've had a few angry drivers on Castle hill Rd at the other end heading East up the hill towards County, but heading west not had an issue surprisingly. Normally I can keep moving pretty quick so don't hold up drivers too much. Also had some close calls with trucks/buses up the hill on Northern Rd from Castle Hill up to the top near Pizza cutters in peak hour, so normally take the path up there these days unless it is quiet.... or do the Crane Rd rat run..... but then I get home sweaty!! :-(

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:29 pm

Well this arvo I gave Pennant Hills Rd to Windsor Rd a final salute (I haven't commuted to Windsor Rd for years).

https://www.strava.com/activities/486227885" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The end is nigh.

SheikYerbouti

Postby SheikYerbouti » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:29 pm

Keen to see Strava routes of the detours... so I can plan my commute out to M7 at Richmond Rd...

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:16 pm

I've just driven through the Pennant Hills/M2 junction on my way back from the city. I appreciate the frustration that you all must be feeling with the detours for what is just a few hundred metres of road works. Poor form on the part of North Connex.
13 LynskeyR230 01 Lemond BuenosAires

2Wheeler

Postby 2Wheeler » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:10 pm

Hergest wrote:I've just driven through the Pennant Hills/M2 junction on my way back from the city. I appreciate the frustration that you all must be feeling with the detours for what is just a few hundred metres of road works. Poor form on the part of North Connex.
Ha. Still better than the frustrations that will be felt by the drivers and bus passengers.
Depending on the traffic lights on Pennant Hills rd, it takes me roughly 10 more minutes :(

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:39 am

2Wheeler wrote:
Hergest wrote:I've just driven through the Pennant Hills/M2 junction on my way back from the city. I appreciate the frustration that you all must be feeling with the detours for what is just a few hundred metres of road works. Poor form on the part of North Connex.
Ha. Still better than the frustrations that will be felt by the drivers and bus passengers.
Depending on the traffic lights on Pennant Hills rd, it takes me roughly 10 more minutes :(
Back to work for me on Monday, and I have the cameras ready to capture the chaos that will result from the roadworks upstream.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

trek52

Postby trek52 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:01 am

so I went through west penno, castle hill, kellyville home was an extra 9 min of riding but extra 15 min on the bike. Extra 150m of climbing and 10 tss points :)

It was crap will try the dipper tomorrow before I make a call on which way is the fastest.

jubaeg

Postby jubaeg » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:07 am

NOVISCOTT wrote:Nah, it's pretty clear on Google Streetview. Right only from right lane. I think that's pretty standard when the road ahead is only 1 lane. Only when you continue with 2 lanes straight on can you go straight from both.
Just FYI, had a look at that roundabout this morning, and the right lane can go straight.

I've also observed that the lights at Aiken road take longer to change than the lights at Copeland/Eaton, and so in future I'll be crossing there.

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:43 am

Not sure if we are talking about the same roundabout jubaeg. I have driven through it several times in the last few days and right lane has right turn arrow. I drive this roundabout many times in a week and ride it about once a week and have never seen a car turn right from left lane.

I live in WPH near the roundabout at the intersection of Highs and Coonara. The last 2 days the traffic at around 7:30 has been terrible heading south on Highs. It was back up past the roundabout and up the hill towards Castle Hill Rd and I assume it goes up Aitken and down Oaks all the way to North Rocks. Is it possible that M2 road works have cuase traffic issue in the burbs several kms away from the M2 entry/exits?

jubaeg

Postby jubaeg » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:40 am

Sorry for the confusion. I mean the one that is Highs and Taylor and Coonara: https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/33 ... !1s0x0:0x0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

so a car going from Highs can go straight into Coonara - same also from Coonara back to Highs. Anyway, I guess we've flogged that one enough!

Traffic - that's not good at all.

queequeg

When will M2 reopen...

Postby queequeg » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:59 pm

jubaeg wrote:
I've also observed that the lights at Aiken road take longer to change than the lights at Copeland/Eaton, and so in future I'll be crossing there.
When I get to Copeland Rd, I look at the light sequence. Cars coming out of Copeland Rd will get a left arrow onto PHR. Once the left arrow changes to red, jump onto the road In front of the cars in the left lane. The sequence After the arrow is for cars exiting from Eaton to get a right arrow and straight ahead into Copeland. As soon as that is done you will get the green light and can make a right hand turn onto PHR. You can then either jump up onto the path, or ride the short section to Aiken Rd where the light will be red.
Last edited by queequeg on Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

jubaeg

Postby jubaeg » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:14 pm

queequeg wrote: When I get to Copeland Rd, I look at the light sequence. Cars coming out of Copeland Rd will get a left arrow onto PHR. Once the left arrow changes to red, jump onto the road In front of the cars in the left lane. The sequence After the arrow is due cars exiting from Eaton to get a right arrow and straight ahead into Copeland. As soon as that is done you will get the green light and can make a right hand turn onto PHR. You can then either jump up onto the path, or ride the short section to Aiken Rd where the light will be red.
Pro tips - excellent, although after the grind up the M2, not sure I'll have much left in the legs for any jumps!

2Wheeler

Postby 2Wheeler » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:13 pm

Here's what I learned from 4 rides through WPH.

- Fastest way is to turn right with the traffic on to PH rd from M2. Can usually keep up with traffic as it is gentle up hill till Aiken where you can go on the footpath.
- Damn the foot paths are narrow. Near the top of PH rd near CH rd, you have no option but to ride on nature strip. Someone should ring the council about the overgrown plants taking up half the footpath.
- Merging onto CH rd is not so easy from the bus bay. So many cars and no break in traffic in peak. Take your time here.
- CH rd is not too bad surprisingly.
- Downhill run on Coonara ave is fun fun fun.
- I take the right lane on coonara to turn right onto Highs rd. It is easy merge back onto the left lane
- I missed the foot path onto the castlewood reserve couple of times. But its at the bottom of the hill.
- Crane rd hills are not as bad as my initial thoughts. You just need to pace yourself.

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:18 pm

2Wheeler wrote: - Downhill run on Coonara ave is fun fun fun.
:twisted:

Are the penalties the same to your drivers license when riding a bike as if you were speeding the same speed in a car?

rogan

Postby rogan » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:52 pm

vosadrian wrote:
2Wheeler wrote: - Downhill run on Coonara ave is fun fun fun.
:twisted:

Are the penalties the same to your drivers license when riding a bike as if you were speeding the same speed in a car?
No licence points for cycling offences. I have travelled down Coonara, I reckon, in a car, probably 4000 times in the last ten years. I doubt I have strictly complied with the 50 limit even once. Or followed another car so complying. So it's not exactly policed well.

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:34 am

So if you were to do 30 over the limit, it is just a fine (albeit expensive)? You cannot lose your drivers license as you would doing same in a car?