Re: Penrith Regatta - 27/10

Postby 531db » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:54 pm

leximack wrote:so whos going?
i will be there attempting to stay in the pack and not get dropped in C grade

Don
I'll be there in C Grade as well.

Hebden

Postby Hebden » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:22 pm

I'll be there, trying B grade out, hope I can hang in there :? . First bike race ever, can't wait! :D

zozza

Postby zozza » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:23 pm

I'll be there :D

Spiza

Postby Spiza » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:50 pm

Well come on... what happened. Race reports pleeeeeeease :D Pete, you're good for a page or two :wink:

531db

Postby 531db » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:04 pm

Short C Grade report. Zozza, Leximack and myself where in a big field of 36 in C grade. Quite a strong shifting wind was blowing and I was hiding mid bunch at first, but seemed to drift towards the back as the race went on. Improved a bit in the final lap which was not easy in such a big field on a narrow circuit to finish about 15th in a 30 plus up sprint. Average was 38.07 kph for the 29.0 km. Zozza I believe finished in front of me and Leximack about mid bunch.

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:18 pm

531db wrote: Zozza, Leximack and myself where in a big field of 36 in C grade.
Wow that's a huge turnout. Any idea what the numbers were like in the other grades ?

Good effort to stay with the bunch I reckon. Nice average speed.
FPR Ragamuffin

leximack

Postby leximack » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:51 pm

yep was a huge amount of C grade riders, if you got out of the line you were suddenly passed by 20 riders, then have to work your way upto the front again, i rode around in the front half of the pack most of the time, got shoved out a few times which dropped me right to the back, then all the work to do again, newbie mistakes on my part mostly, i am still learning all the tactics that go on. The average speed was high, about 38km/h, bit windy but didnt think it was too bad. I was on the inside about midway back on the last 2 bends so had nowhere to go, by the time i made my way out to a position i could sprint in the race was over, another newbie mistake, the track is quite narrow and even 3 abreast is difficult for the most part so i think we did good to stay upright.
i think i finished in the middle somewhere, lots of riders in front and behind me, my aim today was to stay with the group and not get dropped, so i was happy with the outcome, still have heaps to learn but getting there, think C grade is where i should stay, i think D grade pace was a bit slow but no chance i could go around at 40+ with the B graders, so think i will have fun in c grade for a while.
Was great to meet some forum members, hebden and 531db, hope to see you guys again soon
Overall it was good fun out there, really had a good time. Cant make it for the next 2 weeks as i have the gong (there and back) on sunday and the 110km mtb highland fling the sunday after, so dont think i can back it up with a crit race the following day.

Don

leximack

Postby leximack » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:54 pm

Chuck wrote:
531db wrote: Zozza, Leximack and myself where in a big field of 36 in C grade.
Wow that's a huge turnout. Any idea what the numbers were like in the other grades ?

Good effort to stay with the bunch I reckon. Nice average speed.
not sure on the other grades chuck, d grade looked like a simliar size, not sure on A grade but B seemed to have a decent number also.
Seems to be pretty popular.

zozza

Postby zozza » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:10 pm

Hi Guys, I didn't know what quite to expect today after having a shite of a day with Hayfever. A large number get away in C Grade so I make a show on and near the front early up. Suprisingly I felt better as each lap passed. I think the Avg. was about 38ish but was quite easy to maintain.About halfway and being the noob I am, I manage to get boxed in by some Doofus and couldn't get around him till about 20 riders passed. A few laps later and similar thing happens but with a critical mistake. Thinking we had two laps to go, a guy takes off down the left along the straight so I follow him, A decent pace then all of a sudden this guy sits up and starts rolling, I'm like WHAT THE??? and I'm boxed in on the left again and couldn't get around and riders are diving for the line. So I roll through the line :x and I've still got a full tank and nothing to do but moan :( A couple of lessons learned today :) . And a mini pedal stack greeting Bmxbandito and Ant :oops: . Hope no one saw it :D

Hebden

Postby Hebden » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:28 am

Hi Guys, great to read your reports, sounded like C grade was exciting!

Here is a mega report, I got a doctors certificate for two days off :wink: so I thought I would write a mini essay on my first and very eventful race!

In case any of you saw me, I was the idiot that crashed in B grade :oops:

Well the race started off great, I was finding B grade a relatively easy pace. I could work up the front or sit in the back and was quite comfortable moving through the bunch. All the riders seem very calm and there was very little breaking or swerving. The racing itself was great too. I put an effort in as a test with some friends on the second lap but found us caught buy the group as everyone was still pretty fresh. I realised that with a big effort and some other workers a break was definitely possible, probably best to wait till the bunch had tired a bit though. This is fun! :D

Soon after my test another proper break away was made and I figured it was too early and we would catch them, so I didn’t go with them. Using the tips provided by Sandman, I worked in the pace line in the main bunch, it was all pretty smooth, though there were only 5 or 6 riders working at some points and then there would be a gap as nobody wanted to move through. We would slow for a bit until someone bit the bullet and moved up the line to start the pace line working again.

We never did catch that break away. I worked up the front of the chasing bunch a fair bit especially on the last lap. We did close the gap but about 7 or so riders who where out the front where still there at the end. Seems it would have been a good idea to go with them after all, doh! Guess it takes practice to pick the right ones. I found out of a friend who did go with them that the guy who did the least work in the break away won the sprint in the end. This seems to be the way of things. My friend got second though! Good for him.

My err... unfortunate incident came about 1 km from the end on the final straight, I came out of the last corner leading and just kept accelerating, was joined by another rider and we put a few meters on the rest, I was still feeling strong and surged again, but as I moved off I moved toward the other rider, and he toward me I think, (actually another friend of mine from Katoomba) I rubbed his wheel, not hard but enough to start me wobbling, for some reason my back wheel jumped and BANG! The tyre exploded and the rim dug in. :shock: I was over the handle bars and on my arse at over 50kph. Ouch! :(

I am pretty embarrassed about the whole incident, its one of the widest parts of the track and I should have just kept my distance. I thought I knew how to ride a bike :oops: I am just so glad nobody else was hurt through my stupid mistake, I would have felt so terrible had I brought any one else down. The gap I had created was enough for the others to avoid me lying on the ground, thank goodness for that. Most of the guys stopped to check on me, and they were quite concerned and understanding which was nice. My friend whose wheel I hit rode around to tell my wife that I was still alive. Yes, I broke the cardinal rule and crashed when my wife was there!

I had recently replaced an old helmet with a shiny new one, which probably saved my brain last night. It was completely shattered (in pieces) and my head was fine, no loss of consciousness, no dizziness, or blurred vision. I went to the hospital, they put lots of bandages and high tech bandiads on my various injuries and they said I will be fine. Still pretty sore this morning and still feeling like a bit of a git for crashing like that.

I still hope to come back and race again, though I think I will just sit back at watch the finish for a couple of races before I try anything. I think I confused my being fit with being able to cycle. It clearly needs more than just fitness to race a bike. :oops:

On a brighter note it was good to meet Leximack last night, and see Zozza again.

Wasn't a cheap race!
1 day license $25
Race Fee $10
Ruined Bib $75
Ruined Jersey $150
Ruined helmet (Saved my brain though, best $140 I ever spent!) $140
One destroyed rear rim and 32 spokes $??? (waiting to hear from the LBS on the final total)

Injury list; Whiplash, really sore left buttox, skin missing on knee, left butt cheek, back and elbow. I'll live to ride again though! :)

Cheers,
Mark

sandman

Postby sandman » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:45 am

Hi Guys

Well awesome reports all round guys, like Sandy said in a previous post, you feel like your there ! I ended up painting and painting till 1:00am and I must say I think this extra effort is going to free me "mentally" to get some riding in.

SO, Hebden, dude, ouchies. Sounds like you found a grade that you can really have some fun in. Even though it cost u $$$, you now have a race under your belt and live to tell the story :-) I'm so envious of the fun before the crash, think I'll have to come down next Monday night and at least sit in the bunch and tag along :-)

Zozz, kick arse mate, not necessarily at the outcome but the learnings along the way. The experience will turn you into a cunning rider, it only gets better and better :-) Well done on your ability, you will go a long way

Leximak, buddy you rode well even through you went off into the grass :-) Well done on the ride :-) oh had a quick chat to Keith a little earlier, he had lots of fun and found out the hard way of what to do and what gets done to you along the way ;-)

I'm going to have to call BMXBandito and see how they went in A grade. If I'm going to have any chance to hang on with them I will need to get on the bike !

Pete

zozza

Postby zozza » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:01 pm

Hey Hebden, I just read you report and am like :shock: :shock: . Hope you're feeling a little better. We stuck around last night for a while to get the lowdown but we couldn't find you or Jeff? Rest up and take it easy and I hope you heal quickly 8) Don't stay away too long :) Zoz.

bmxbandito

Postby bmxbandito » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:57 pm

Hey guys sorry for the late post only just found my way out of the hurt box :lol: thougt I have a crack in A grade last night :shock: holy crap its fast in there like being strapped to a rubber band bloody thing would only stretch to its max so many times before snap spat out the back like a Bandit Bmxer,2 laps time trialling before B grade caugt me on their last lap,just settled on the back & bang Hebden throws himself all over the road stop to see if he is alright & then on my way again.Sounds like Mark worked out where it all went wrong which helps for next time around keep showing up mate youll work it out mate :)
I was surprised at the difference between A & B grade the attacks are just ferocious like sprinting flat out every time somebody jumps up the road.Will have to just keep training & racing harder :twisted:
Zozza & Don well done boys another race under the belt.Much more fun in the dry.
Mark hope you heal up soon.Hopefully that special steel clunker is on the mend too.(Ilove titanium frames th..................is much) :)
Cheers Jeff

zozza

Postby zozza » Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:58 pm

Hey sandman, ditch the paint and come and play :)