Damn - that hurt! Part II - happy ever after...?

uMP2k

Damn - that hurt! Part II - happy ever after...?

Postby uMP2k » Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:08 am

For those of you who remember the saga of my little run in with a Jag (gory details here), I thought it was about time I gave an update.

In terms of physical hurts, the grazing on my leg and bruising have now long healed up. My bike still sits sad and forlorn under the patio. But my bank account has now been added to by a very nice little cheque from the driver's insurance company!

So now I am on the hunt for a new ride. Have gone through many plans of action from buying a complete new bike, just getting a new frame (some lovely Fuga frames have been on ebay lately!) and wheels and putting my components (mainly 8spd Chorus) on, or buying second hand and doing a mix and match. In the end it looks like I am going to go with a second hand bike and am hoping to close a deal on a aluminium frame with Chorus 10spd components this weekend.

Looking forward to getting back on the road - and this time plan to avoid Jags like the plague!
Last edited by uMP2k on Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:00 am

Well done and keep us posted on the purchase.

Pics please as well.

Cheers

Michael B

uMP2k

Postby uMP2k » Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:20 pm

MichaelB wrote:Well done and keep us posted on the purchase.

Pics please as well.

Cheers

Michael B
Well, the deal is now done and the bike is on its way (with Greyhound frieght) from the Gold Coast all the way over to the West.

I am not sure how I am going to manage waiting the next week or so until the bike arrives, but I am really looking forward to putting it through its paces.

In the meantime here are some (pretty low resolution) photos of the new purchase.

Image Image Image

As you can see, the frame is a Masil (from Portugal) and the components are a mix of Campag Chorus and Centaur 10speed with Mavix rims. I will need to put a new stem on it, raise the seat and maybe change a few other bits and pieces, but hopefully it should work fine! I was originally thinking of stripping off the components and putting them on a new frame (something like THIS perhaps), but now I think I will see how this frame works out first.

I am looking forward to posting my first impressions after I get to ride it!
Last edited by uMP2k on Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:29 pm

Nice! Nice! :D
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:30 pm

Well done.

Hope it all goes well. If you have some money left over and want to splash out, I have Carbon seat post to make it even snazier (see in the Sale section).

Cheers

Michael B

uMP2k

Postby uMP2k » Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:45 pm

MichaelB wrote:Well done.

Hope it all goes well. If you have some money left over and want to splash out, I have Carbon seat post to make it even snazier (see in the Sale section).

Cheers

Michael B
Nice looking addition, but my new purchase is already graced by a carbon seatpost:

Actually, as one of the uses I have for the bike is commuting with a rear rack and pannier, I am going to have to swap the carbon post for an aluminium one - at lease for when I am commuting :D

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:09 pm

So, all up, did the Insurance company recompense you graciously enough so that you could buy well and still have some left over for even more purchases ?

Can't wait to see it in yellow !!!

uMP2k

Postby uMP2k » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:03 pm

MichaelB wrote:So, all up, did the Insurance company recompense you graciously enough so that you could buy well and still have some left over for even more purchases ?

Can't wait to see it in yellow !!!

Yes the insurance company cheque was very generous! I thought about blowing the whole amount on a new wonder bike (particularly had my eye on an Orbea or Cevelo) but in the end just did not feel I could justify that. So instead I went looking for a nicely appointed second hand purchase, used some on other fun stuff and have some left over for enhancements!

Yellow....

You just never know....

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:47 pm

Nice looking set o' wheels there uMP2k, good find :D

uMP2k

Postby uMP2k » Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:00 am

Mulger bill wrote:Nice looking set o' wheels there uMP2k, good find :D
That is what I am hoping!

tuco

Postby tuco » Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:48 pm

uMP2k wrote: Well, the deal is now done and the bike is on its way (with Greyhound frieght) from the Gold Coast all the way over to the West.

I am not sure how I am going to manage waiting the next week or so until the bike arrives, but I am really looking forward to putting it through its paces.

In the meantime here are some (pretty low resolution) photos of the new purchase.

Image Image Image
Don't get that colour, these jokers will tease you and tell you it's pink.

uMP2k

Postby uMP2k » Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:31 pm

tuco wrote: Don't get that colour, these jokers will tease you and tell you it's pink.

....what you mean it isn't..... :D