Afternoon rides

James Quinton

Afternoon rides

Postby James Quinton » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:52 pm

Ok.

There's a myriad morning rides, but between hangovers, sleeping in and generally not being a morning person, I find it difficult to make it to one.

Firstly: why are all the weekend rides so early? 7am? Man. C'mon.

Secondly, are there any afternoon rides organised? Weekend or not? (The only one I can find is the cyclemania afternoon ride.)

If not, who wants to organise a bi/weekly afternoon spin around the river?
30-35km/h. No breaks, no coffee, just riding.
Last edited by James Quinton on Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sittingbison

Postby sittingbison » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:47 pm

gets a bit breezy in the avo, and can get a bit hot over summer.

Also SWMBO usually has plans for moi after 9am - gardening, lick of paint, cleaning the gutters, putting out the washing, mowing the lawn, washing her car, vacuuming the house, raking up, taking the mutt for a walk, doing the shopping....

...COUNT ME IN!!!

(inna coupla weeks)

ps now I remember why I snapeed the achilles hehe
I have a cunning plan, as cunning as a fox who's just been appointed Professor of Cunning at Oxford University

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:49 pm

G'day James,

Welcome to the forum.

Firstly, the weekend rides are usually early so the riders can spend the rest of the day with families or doing other "important" things (at least, that's my reason). They also offer the best conditions - low winds and temps and less driver agro.

Secondly, I can't make it to any afternoon weekend rides - refer to first point .... :) My family wants me to do stuff with them. So I ride while they sleep.

I assume you're a younger rider? (ie 18 to 30 years old?). We oldies don't do hangovers any more ... :( That tends to make us better "morning people".

I hope you find some fellow riders though.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

tallywhacker

Postby tallywhacker » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:36 pm

Kalgrm wrote:I assume you're a younger rider? (ie 18 to 30 years old?). We oldies don't do hangovers any more ... :(
must be looking good Graeme, I look at myself in the mirror and there is a definite hangover :wink:

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:55 pm

Oh, there's definitely overhang alright .... :D
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

James Quinton

Postby James Quinton » Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:57 pm

Thanks for your responces guys.

I guess I'll wait and see, or get up early.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:26 am

Kalgrm wrote:G'day James,

Welcome to the forum.

Firstly, the weekend rides are usually early so the riders can spend the rest of the day with families or doing other "important" things (at least, that's my reason). They also offer the best conditions - low winds and temps and less driver agro.

Secondly, I can't make it to any afternoon weekend rides - refer to first point .... :) My family wants me to do stuff with them. So I ride while they sleep.
All Graeme said plus no coffee? That alone would scare me off :twisted:

Andrew

James Quinton

Postby James Quinton » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:29 pm

Well, I mean - you chat while riding - and drink coffee at home.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:10 pm

James Quinton wrote:Well, I mean - you chat while riding - and drink coffee at home.
The coffee at L2 is too nice to miss :)

Andrew

acorn

Postby acorn » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:12 pm

you know that they start the tour de france quite late some times mid day.

and we young ones do not need coffee because we have lots of energy.

any way coffee makes your energy leaves go up and down like a roller coaster

when drinking coffee at first you feel that you could climb the steepest hill. then you well like you want to take a nap.

Dave39

Afternoon rides

Postby Dave39 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:40 pm

Gday new to forum but not cycling

There is 1 afternoon ride I know of. The WAR (Wednesday Afternoon Ride) starts Barrack st in town I think. Im told this is a fast paced ride. Other than that try the cyling WA site which lists organised group ride.

Yes to other comments, dont do hangovers anymore and with an early mornin ride time for other stuff, like family

Dave

James Quinton

Postby James Quinton » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:37 pm

That WAR sounds good. Any idea what time it is?

Redbull

Postby Redbull » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:01 pm

a couple of late afternoon/early evening rides here
The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass

Bruce

Re: Afternoon rides

Postby Bruce » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:46 pm

James Quinton wrote:Ok.

There's a myriad morning rides, but between hangovers, sleeping in and generally not being a morning person, I find it difficult to make it to one.

Firstly: why are all the weekend rides so early? 7am? Man. C'mon.

Secondly, are there any afternoon rides organised? Weekend or not? (The only one I can find is the cyclemania afternoon ride.)

If not, who wants to organise a bi/weekly afternoon spin around the river?
30-35km/h. No breaks, no coffee, just riding.
your game riding arround the river 30-35km/hr :o to many pedesrians for my liking, or did you mean to Mount Henry Bridge, raffles hotel loop?

James Quinton

Postby James Quinton » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:17 pm

Yeah, the 40 odd km loop, narrows, raffles, freako, cott, city...

FlyinFynn

Postby FlyinFynn » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:42 pm

Yeah, afternoon rides are hard to come by.. Work gets in the way, as does wife and responsibilities.. (I want to be young again.. :cry: ).

There are some people who head out later in the day. Glen Parkers have some guys who head out to the hills on Tues and Thurs I believe at around 8:00am, 8:30am.. Give them a call, although this ride is a pretty tough one with talented people (only one way to get stronger..) :lol:

James Quinton

Postby James Quinton » Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:28 am

Thanks. I'm privy to the Parkers ride. They have taken it off the link given above. May be they were getting too many beginners or something. Perhaps someone can fill us in.

I think I'll bite the bullet and rock up to one of their rides soon. As you say only one way to get stronger and if I get dropped I'll just be riding by myself as I generally do.

One question: what constitutes talent in cycling? I remember P. Sherwin using that term for F. Shleck in the last tour. I was somewhat perplexed.

Cycling seems to me to be something that you work at and get better by training. Practise plays a more important role than in, say, playing a musical instrument. In the latter I think you can pretty much tell if you're talented or not in the first 6 months. Not to say that practise is superfluous in learning a musical instrument.

Whereas I believe you simply get faster in cycling.

Is style aligned in any way to talent?

I'll post this in a more explicit way in the general forum also.

FlyinFynn

Postby FlyinFynn » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:40 pm

I believe with cycling, your genetics play a big role to how good you will be. Your V02 Max is very important and is in large determined at birth. Whereas your lactate threshold is something you can work on making better over time and kms..

There are also the muscle fibres you are born with, fast twich v slow twitch. These will determine whether you are more a sprinter than a mountain man vs time trial man. Also your power to weight ratio is very important with cycling, another thing which is down to your genes (obviously one can work hard to make it better but good genes go a long way).

To succeed in the long tours with mountains you will more than likely weigh at the most 70kgs. At 80kgs, I am unfortunately too heavy to ever be really good but my weight is good for sprinting and time trials (provided not too hilly).

I hope I helped you.. Perhaps in summary, like everything, if you work really hard at something, you will be good but to excel, you will need the genes and to work hard..

acorn

Postby acorn » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:24 pm

Hi James

just started road cycling and I am a junior. I live in the hills. I might go down to the bikeforce midland for a group ride.

Kalamunda and bikeforce midland are the only group rides that I know is there any other suggestions of rides starting in the hills? or even a club