Winter Clothing - more than just staying warm ???

drawn2mel

Postby drawn2mel » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:24 am

yep, gloves are on the wish list and i'm thinking i need some arm warmers which i used to think were weird but now am caving in to their ummm usefulness.. if thats a word.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:08 pm

Oh, and a headband will be required as well.

My almost Mr Rumbold ears cop a beating on frosty mornings ...

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:31 pm

For the commute, Singlet, workshirt, armwarmers, fleecy top and windstop vest above the waist, Ground Effect Ranchsliders (lined knees yummy) and a pair of the GLWs old pantyhose with the feet cut off if it's really cold below. Any winter gloves that feel comfortable, not brand fussy here. A GE Baked beanie under the lid and cutup plastic shopping bag between the socks and shoes do the trick.

MJF

Postby MJF » Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:59 am

Hmmm... pantyhose don't actually keep you warmer as such, the nylon wicks moisture from the skin surface so you don't get evaporative cooling. I also watched some show years ago where they also talked about how pantyhose fools the brain into thinking the skin is warmer, but I can't remember how that part worked. I also found this link :twisted:

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:41 am

MJF wrote:Hmmm... pantyhose don't actually keep you warmer as such, the nylon wicks moisture from the skin surface so you don't get evaporative cooling. I also watched some show years ago where they also talked about how pantyhose fools the brain into thinking the skin is warmer, but I can't remember how that part worked. I also found this link :twisted:
I could see myself wearing this:Image And mabyee this:Image

But not these ones;
Image ImageImage

Burn plenty of Glycogen
Frame Size Calculator
ImageImageImage
training log

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:22 pm

Dunno how they work MJF, but they do the trick when needed and free up cash for "vital" upgrades :wink: It rarely gets cold enough for me to need em, Ranchsliders are damn warm.

:shock: Where's Benny Hill when you need some theme music?

MJF

Postby MJF » Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:14 pm

My wife is wondering where the little suspender straps & high heels are :roll:

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:47 pm

yeah that's just disturbing.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:26 pm

MJF wrote:Image

My wife is wondering where the little suspender straps & high heels are :roll:
Shes just jellous of those legs.

Burn plenty of Glycogen
Frame Size Calculator
ImageImageImage
training log
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

tinstaafl

Postby tinstaafl » Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:50 pm

MichaelB wrote:
tinstaafl wrote:I looked at the price of specialized bike clothing and decided to spend the extra bickies on the bike.
I layer up with 't' shirts from K Mart depending on the weather. None for warm days and four for cold days.
I then cover that with a long sleeved flannie to be rolled down for sun or cold.
I live in Melbourne so even that is not enough so I sometimes replace the flannie with a quilted flannie.
When it gets really cold I cover that with a wind jacket.

I found the flash coldweather gloves were too tight and restrictive so I bought a pair of long fingered gloves that are a size too big and I wear cotton glove liners. This works a treat. The liners are about a dollar a pair at K mart in the dishwashing and rubber glove area.

I go for long leg knicks as it cools.
I have never had an overheating problem on my legs and there is a good degree of abrasion protection.

The most important thing for me in the cold is to wear two Buff scarves.
one is pulled up from the neck to cover the back of the head and the other is pulled down from the top to cover the forehead and the ears. It is like a fully adjustable balaclava. You can pull it up or down and have your ears covered or uncovered. Very flexible.
A helmet to keep the pigs away and I am off.

Robert
Can you move with all of that gear on ?
Yup.
It doesn't weigh much and is marvelous padding for my contacts with Gaer.

Robert
What do you wear when it is cold and raining and you still wnt to ride?

Robert

tinstaafl

Postby tinstaafl » Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:53 pm

MJF wrote:Hmmm... pantyhose don't actually keep you warmer as such, the nylon wicks moisture from the skin surface so you don't get evaporative cooling. I also watched some show years ago where they also talked about how pantyhose fools the brain into thinking the skin is warmer, but I can't remember how that part worked. I also found this link :twisted:
I'll take that under advisement.
Snow skiers wear panty hose under the overclothes to keep warm and there is no evaporative cooling involved there.

Robert

gdl_gdl

Postby gdl_gdl » Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:24 pm

I'll need some winter clothing soon if these tan lines get any stronger! :wink:

I have a long sleeve light cycling / rain jersey that I've had to use twice. That's the only winter gear I need.

Still waiting for the winter temps to arrive, although we have rain forecast for the next couple of days.

Cheers,

Gary

pospete

Postby pospete » Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:18 pm

Yeah I'm not sure I'dd even consider Melbourne cold in mid winter. With my new jacket , I'll just get some long finger gloves and some cycle tights, that'll be it. I'm still having the odd swim here in the bay( twice last week) as to me it still feels quite warm.
I can think of several bars where those other tights would go down very well, with the clientelle! :lol: :lol:

Just a thought , I wonder if thats where the phrase," Put a sock in it!" comes from!!! :wink: :wink:
Talk to the hand

gdl_gdl

Postby gdl_gdl » Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:54 pm

I have a long sleeve light cycling / rain jersey that I've had to use twice. That's the only winter gear I need.

Well that will serve me right! Went out today for a light recovery ride (I did another sub 4 hr 100km ride yesterday).

Saw the clouds gathering over the ocean and thought "I'll be alright". Did 20km of the 25km ride and then wham, a fairly heavy coastal shower which I had to endure for the last 5kms of the so-called recovery ride (couple this with a very strong ocean gust!)

At least it made the kids laugh when I arrived home. And my wife thought I was mad when the first thing I did was dry the bike off (not me) when I got in the house! :lol:

Cheers,

Gary