New Site for Western Australian Road Cyclists

FlyinFynn

Postby FlyinFynn » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:03 pm

I am a little worried about the inevitable peleton pileup. But the worst crash I have seen was at the Busso Half Ironman when the girl passed out and hit her head on the kerb on the ride.. Nasty, I hope she is ok now.

$10k for a bike, fec... $3k for upgrades, fec fec... My running costs are alot less than that, Bike $4k, new wheels $200, new lid $180, Sunnies (a few years old now) $250, shoes $317, shirt, knicks, arm warmers and gillet $0 (sponsored). Winnings in 6 races approx $600.. Not too shabby..

I want to do some tris but need a new Tri bike (note the 'need') not sure I can get the expense past the treasurer though.. :cry:

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:23 pm

FlyinFynn wrote:Winnings in 6 races approx $600.. Not too shabby..
Well done.

Andrew

Dunk

Postby Dunk » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:41 am

As a roadie I must admit I don't abuse bent riders - I just don't understand the appeal.

Most seem hellbent (bad pun) on safety, yet ride a bike that is virtually invisible in any kind of traffic, surely you can't see too much of what's going on in traffic??

Edumacate me on them a bit please.

This is no troll - I'm genuinely interested in what makes them a viable alternative.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:30 am

G'day Dunk,

I don't think 'bent riders are any more concerned about safety than other riders on the road. We're not driving Volvos! :D

It's a complete myth that 'bents are hard to see. I really don't know where that one got started, but it's probably an unfounded perception which people haven't fully thought through. If a dog ran out in front of you, do you think you'd have trouble seeing it? What about if someone left a shoe on the road? In this same thread a few posts above, amazement was expressed when riders failed to see it.

The reality is very different. When I'm riding my 'bent, I get noticed - by everyone. Being noticed is not the same as merely "being seen". Drivers see everything, but only take notice of certain things on the road, mainly cars and trucks - they are considered a threat to them. Have you ever made eye contact with a driver when on your bike and then have them pull out in front of you anyway? They saw you, but didn't notice you. That just doesn't happen to me. They see me, they stop and and they gawk. I've even had cars pull up in front of me and take a photo. On the 'bent, I'm a celebrity. ;)

As to whether or not I can see what's going on around me: my head is at the same height as a car driver's, so I have the same view as most road users, with the added bonus of being able to hear too.

What's the appeal? Why ride a 'bent in preference to a conventional, garden variety bike? Number one consideration for me is aerodynamics. I hate headwinds. There is no human powered vehicle as aerodynamic as a recumbent, and the Freo Doctor is a proctologist by speciality. The other parts of the package are just added bonuses: comfort, "celebrity status", driver awareness, crash safety and "fun factor". Some people also "get 'bent" due to physical conditions preventing them riding a normal bike (arthritis, erectile dysfunction, back pain, etc). Recumbents allow those people to stay active when they otherwise would not be.

Feel free to ask any other questions. It might be best to do it over in the "Recumbent" section of this forum though. This is a little off topic in this thread. :)

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

nimm

Postby nimm » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:47 pm

Appeal? much better aerodynamic profile, more comfortable, and you get noticed as Graeme mentioned. I don't have a recumbent but frequently ride with the WAHPV guys so I know about the noticed thing and hear first-hand about the comfort and have to struggle to keep up in strong headwinds against people 10+ years my senior (and I'm not out of shape).

The negatives are not being able to unload the bike over bumps, less visibility of the ground directly in front of the bike, not able to stand and pedal (not such an issue once you develop the right muscles and keep a high cadence up hills), and being "different" which prompts all sorts of misguided comments from people. At least you asked the right question - tell me more :)

Personally I find the designs of recumbents all over the place because it's not really governed by anything unlike the traditional diamond-frame (DF) bikes and UCI rules etc... They also tend to be more expensive for what you get in terms of weight and components. And being somewhat rare, it's more difficult to just drop by the LBS to try one out...
/ Giant OCR / Go Vegan /

FlyinFynn

Postby FlyinFynn » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:27 pm

Is there a recumbent racing scene?

Would love to be in on that?

For commuting, do companies bike sheds allow recumbents? I think for commuting a recumbent would make sense as it is easier and faster than a traditional bike.. How does it go with getting over traffic islands?

I need to think of an excuse to get a recumbent, mtb is used for mountain biking and commuting, triathlon bike is used for time trials and triathlons and on the wind trainer, racing bike is used for group rides and racing, track bike is used for track rides.. Hmm, where would the recumbent fit in there?

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:39 pm

I bought mine - with the approval of the wife - for commuting. She felt sorry for me as I collapsed through the door each night after fighting the Freo Doctor armed only with a MTB on slicks.

There isn't a racing scene in WA for 'bents. They are quite legal and well accepted for doing Audax rides though. So where would they fit in? Only you can answer that one, but they make great touring bikes. ;) I don't race, and I don't ride in large groups often, so the 'bent takes the place of all road bikes (touring, commuting, TT, track and road) for me. When the track gets dirty (my favourite kind) I use the MTB.

Hopping traffic islands is not possible on a 'bent. You can't un-weight the front wheel. I never had problems parking my 'bent in the building's bike area.

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

sittingbison

Postby sittingbison » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:59 pm

I know this is the wrong forum, but when the shoe fits...

What kind of recumbent? Greenspeed? Are they the nippiest? When I was riding around Mt Egmont in NZ we met a bloke on a two wheeler, but he kind of sat down in it like on a bent - a bit of a balancing act. He basically had a controlled crash each time he stopped. Loaded to the eye balls with gear.
I have a cunning plan, as cunning as a fox who's just been appointed Professor of Cunning at Oxford University

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:35 pm

"Recumbent" describes the riding position, not the number of wheels.
He basically had a controlled crash each time he stopped. Loaded to the eye balls with gear.
Are you sure he wasn't just loaded to the eyeballs? :)

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

sittingbison

Postby sittingbison » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:44 pm

nup, though I had to have a few medicinal ales to get over the shock :shock:

he sat "in" this thing, legs forward not down, and had little handgrips down near his hips. It was a bit like one of those little paddle boats that the poms fell off in the Windies World Cup :lol:

I'll see if I can rummage up a pic.

Hereyago - the bloke in NZ was Swiss as well.

I have a cunning plan, as cunning as a fox who's just been appointed Professor of Cunning at Oxford University

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:13 pm

Looks like a normal SWB 'bent with USS to me.

Cheers,
Graeme

(SWB = short wheel base, USS = under seat steering)
---------------------

TonyS

Fact sheet

Postby TonyS » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:49 pm

Bikewest produced Fact Sheet No. 6 on the topic of bunch riding about 18 months ago. The information in the fact sheet regarding riding on carriageways was based on existing legislation and we had it checked by the WA Police. It is still accurate.
TonyS

sittingbison

Postby sittingbison » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:01 pm

just read it - this is the sheet that caused the kerfuffle earlier. :(

STOP Andrew! STOP exadios! sigh :cry:

use common sense and ride SAFELY. The law might (make that 'does') not take into account groupetto dynamics, but it is still THE LAW. Take it as you will like every other minute of your life.