Retro MTB Tribe

MoeJoe

Re: Retro MTB Tribe

Postby MoeJoe » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:14 pm

simon.young wrote:1991 GT Team Avalanche in Midnight Aurora.
Pure class. Love it.
GT's old stuff just has the charisma that the new stuff never can match.

MoeJoe

Postby MoeJoe » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:18 pm

While we are on the subject of retro GT's. Here are my three members from the class of 99, 92 and 93.
Behold Zanger the Xizang, Avalanche with the dry ice paint schema and Justin Timberline in forest green with added green <drum roll please> :mrgreen:

I silently moan the dullness of modern paintjobs.

john69

Postby john69 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:24 pm

simon.young wrote:Couldn't pass this up locally in Hobart. Thanks for the tipoff LG.

Reflex ALX 99 - Anodized Easton 6061 E9 main triangle, Ishiwata EX? cromo stays and forks bonded to steel lugs internally brazed and lugged.

Pretty much to spec M730 except tyres, and that seat. But the seatpost is split near the clamp, so I havent bothered yet. Cleaned up ok. Well used, but everything still spins well, and after playing around with seized STI, I love the thumbies!

Downtube cable routing, with anodized logo under downtube. Chainstay U-brake, with roller for rear der cable. Pretty cool . This is what sold it for me. Oh and the pink / blue combo :D

just needs the funky brown patterned seat to go with it , i had one the same i picked up off ebay in mint condition but sold it due to not being able to get used to the pink and not wanting to molest a nearly unmarked one by painting it.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:00 pm

MoeJoe wrote:While we are on the subject of retro GT's. Here are my three members from the class of 99, 92 and 93.
Behold Zanger the Xizang, Avalanche with the dry ice paint schema and Justin Timberline in forest green with added green <drum roll please> :mrgreen:

I silently moan the dullness of modern paintjobs.
A Xizang. So sweet :shock:

Agreed on the dullness of modern paint. GT in the early 90's where the dogs bullocks.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:42 am

singlespeedscott wrote:
Agreed on the dullness of modern paint. GT in the early 90's were the dogs bollocks.
+eleventy billion.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

mikgit

Postby mikgit » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:34 pm

everyone loves a xizang :)
Fat Chance Yo Eddy 2.2, Intense Sniper XC Pro, Look 675, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Yeti ARC, DiamondBack Apex

gman2

Postby gman2 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:04 pm

Speaking of GT's, here is my Avalanche 2.0 from early 2000's..

Was a commuter for a few years, then I bought road bike, and then sat unused in the garage for the last few years. Want to give mtb a bit of a try again, and don't want to spend a lot until I get into it more... and being a tight-arse, damn it seems new mountain bikes are exxy. Dusted it off, and was surprised was still in reasonable condition and nothing has rusted up too badly.

Before I stopped riding it (of course) I had upgraded the rims to some slimmer ones .. Also had upgraded to 9 speed SLX shifters as the old ones were rusted to pieces. Turns out the rims had standard 6 point discs mounts - win.

Checked the frame and it appeared to also have extra mounts at both ends - must have been one of the very first frames to have disc mounts. Having not followed mountain bikes for many years, surprised there is still backward compatibility as they were ISO mounts. So for $100 I bought a front set of Deore 180mm discs + post to iso adapter. 30 mins later they were on the bike, fit perfectly!

Have only taken it for a few quick rides.. It shifts quite well, the triple crank is a bit iffy and the avirio? rear derailleur is a bit slow. But not too bad. Obviously now stops very nicely. So next step will probably be 160mm discs for the rear.

I'm not quite sure on the fork.. as I haven't really ridden many other mtb. It's quite bouncy, so not sure if this is normal, or that means its actually rooted. It seems I can get a cheapo Rockshox that will fit for around $150-$200 to suit a 26", but not sure if its worth it or will deliver any improvement.

Front bars seem to sit up really high which feels strange coming from a roadie. Wondering how it might feel with a shorter flat-angle stem. If I do that it seems I also need a new bar as its got some weird old slim width.

I'm surprised with how things still allow backward compatibility, probably not much I can't upgrade if I can be bothered. I figure if I get into it and upgrade a few other things, I'll then just buy a bottom spec current mtb and transfer all the decent stuff across.

frog

Postby frog » Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:34 pm

Really loving this new (to me) thing.

jbchybridrider

Postby jbchybridrider » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:11 pm

Since I got my Hurricane everyone I've seen since has been the same size but that's the first small one I've seen. Actually the first small pug mtb of any model in small. Looks great!

roosta

Postby roosta » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:54 pm

My current Retro ride, 1996 Shogun Trailbreaker 3.

And the current list of projects:
2 more Shoguns
1988 Giant Rider ATB
1987 Southern Cross Decathelon II
1988 Graecross Pathfinder
:)
88 Graecross Pathfinder
89 Southern Cross Decathelon MKII
95 Giant YukonSE
96 Shogun Trailbreaker 3
09 Shogun Katana

frog

Postby frog » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:13 pm

roosta wrote:My current Retro ride, 1996 Shogun Trailbreaker 3.
:)

mmmm dat shogun, love it!

Steve F

Postby Steve F » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:19 pm

Bought this Ricardo Bushbike ('89) a few years ago and after getting it powder coated 2 years ago and seeing it everyday in my lounge room I finally decided not to do any sort of restoration on it (my original plan) but just put it together for my wife to ride. The parts that make it unique are staying, things like the oval chain rings and rear brake slung under the frame, the rest will just be bits and pieces like the ukai um-20 rims etc. In saying that I am getting it nice and clean and polishing the alloy bits etc. Now just waiting on a few more parts to turn up so I can finish it. Should be a fun bike and no doubt I'll lift the seat and bars and ride it a bit myself.

Cheers
Steve

pedal.roll

Postby pedal.roll » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:10 pm

Just read through this whole thread!

I picked up a nice mountain bike yesterday. Not sure on the age but I would say early to mid 80s.
Has some nice components for its age. It's been painted so I don't know the brand.

I'm going to turn it into my commuter. It needs a new wheel set and I'll be replacing the cranks.
I'll be setting it up single speed. I've fitted some 2.5 Maxxis Hookworms to it and they fit fine. Love the float from these!

Rear wheel is 130mm and front 100mm. I'm having trouble finding some decent replacements. Anyone have any or know of where to get anything? I preferably want sealed but I might be asking too much. Something already set up for single speed would be awesome.

Anyway.....cheers.
Pedal fast. Live slow.

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:08 pm

Is it time for me to enter the MTB scene? Looks like theres a few off road tracks nearby that MoeJoe and a few other Western Sydney people frequent. Anyway, I have my eyes on a certain Kirk Magnesium. Anything I should be worried about? It is interstate, so I wont have a chance to look at it in person, nor would I even know what to look out for. It looks to have been stored outside in the rain for a bit, but with magnesium being quite the anodic metal, itll be the first to corrode. Groupset isnt too much of a worry. Can find a donor bike easily enough.

Is the $350 worth it? Comes with the original XT FD.
Last edited by QuangVuong on Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:44 pm

I'd say no. I vaguely remember they weren't the greatest riding frame. The typical swaying EBB design that felt dead to ride. I also heard they tended to crack. I'd be careful about the corrosion. Magnesium and water really don't play we'll together.

justalf

Postby justalf » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:12 pm

QuangVuong wrote:Is it ime for me to enter the MTB scene? ...

Is the $350 worth it? Comes with the original XT FD.
That's a classic. A beautiful and flawed classic with a place in early MTB history. The price is whatever you're willing to pay. I doubt it will ever become a museum piece, or even a brilliant ride, but it's rare enough to be interesting and in this forum I think everyone would rather ride interesting.

If you do it, I want pictures!
Yep, I have some bike.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:55 pm

I would go for it, they are very cool. I'd see if you can go lower on the price, not that it's especially expensive but why not :wink: . Haven't heard or read much about them breaking, but then i haven't heard or read much about them at all!

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:02 pm

I think the earlier frames were the ones that had the bigger issues. The main reason for frame failure was due to casting issues, and anything bonded does have the chance of debonding. The other issue is corrosion, especially in areas which arent protected by anything(ie chipped paint, etc). http://www.kirk-bicycles.co.uk/Kirk-History.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And there were definite reliability problems - a Bath shop sold about six of the MTBs in 1992. All of them came back with broken frames.
I dont mind paying $350 for it, but I need to be sure that the frame will last, but of course I will pay the least amount for it. I dont want it breaking on the first ride. Anyone here near Newham, Victoria wanna help out?

Anyone recognise what that fork is? And does it look usable?
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:09 am

The canti hanger looks like old Rockshox, maybe Mag 21? Whatever it is, the fact they're sitting so far down means they need some work. If it's an elastomer fork, new elastomer kits may or may not be available and are usually around $50. If it's air, it might just need pumping up, but could need new seals which may or may not be available.

mikgit

Postby mikgit » Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:06 pm

Fine to have in a collection, not fine to have as a rider.

It's a Kirk, it is probably the 10th replacement frame of the origianl owner, if it doesn't crack it will be like riding a soggy noodle... the only...only thing you want to do with it is to hang it on a wall or to have in a display.
Fat Chance Yo Eddy 2.2, Intense Sniper XC Pro, Look 675, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Yeti ARC, DiamondBack Apex

utedeej

Postby utedeej » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:04 pm

I've got this 1995 Cannondale. 17" centre to top seat tube, but it is too small for me. If anyone is interested and might have something to swap for a similar quality but in a 19" or so, I'd be interested. Great condition with no gouges or dints in the aluminium. Comes with CODA stem and bars, but headshok needs a service. I know I should chuck it up in the WTB, but thought the retro MTB tribe might be interested. Am coming to Sydney for the classic bike show so could bring up too.

ta

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:31 pm

Nice, but I too would like it in a 19" :cry:

VinceGU05

Postby VinceGU05 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:19 am

gday peeps. here is my '94 Haro Escape. bought it new and finally laid a spanner on it and revamped it a little since now i have a trance for offroading. so i bought new urethane for the front shocks, old ones had completely rotted away, got rid of the knobbies and stuck some schwalbe marathons on and replaced the old toe straps and bolted on some shimano clip ins. now a fantastic road cross bike.

jmacbrid86

Postby jmacbrid86 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:57 pm

Selling this in the Marketplace, 95% original besides the tyres.

koen

Postby koen » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:03 pm

Anyone know if any 90s bikes had 145 rear spacing not 135? I just picked up a KHS Montana Comp frame. It turns out to be a lovely light true temper frame but spaced at 145 onnthe rear. I wonder if it was built that way or bent. It all looks straight enough.
Post some pictures tomorrow