Alcoa 12 hour - Anyone want to form a team?

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Alcoa 12 hour - Anyone want to form a team?

Postby Kalgrm » Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:09 pm

G'day people,

My schedule has now changed and I'm available to do the 12 hour eventon 29th and 30th of November.

I'm hoping to find a group of 2 or 3 other people who want to ride in the 12 hour. I want to participate, rather than race, and I want to do about 4 to 6 laps on the night. I don't care where we finish in the placings.

Are there any other people interested in joining up together for a non-competitive team? It would be great if we can get members of the forum with jerseys together for a group shot of the BNA 12 Hour Slugs. :)

Cheers,
Graeme

(Edit: Correct dates put in place.)
Last edited by Kalgrm on Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:11 pm

*reading*

Your dates contradict those on the site, Graeme ? It lists the previous weekend.

Mm... wonder if my dodgy dealextreme lights are up for offroad.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:23 pm

G'day Kym,

Can you give me a link to the site's page where it says it's the previous weekend? I thought it was on the previous weekend too, but this is what I see when I open the page, and I've circled the dates I'm quoting.

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:27 pm

Bugger!

I just refreshed the page and found the dates have changed! Looks like they had it wrong and corrected it, but the old page was still in my cache.

Anyway, I'm still up for the ride. Anyone interested?

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:32 pm

whilst the idea appeals for the most part - for a first time competitor the concept of a night time event makes me a bit cautious.

My deal extreme lights are great on the street but they can be a bit sensitive to knocks & bumps. Short of me pulling them apart again and re-engineering them a bit it could be a pain.

Isn't daylight saving meant to solve all this crap? :D

I've been around Langford Park trails on a couple of occasions during the day and love it...... would be up for another BNA group ride or such down that way (could even give someone a lift.. I have a ute...)
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

Ant.

Postby Ant. » Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:22 pm

In a recumbent? :lol: :P

(i jest!)

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:24 pm

Mr Moo has limited mtb experience (read: can ride, but if there is tricky stuff it may be interesting), but is always keen to give anything a try. Some training beforehand would help (of course!!).

May change mind as more info on the course comes to light.

:)

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:30 am

Ant. wrote:In a recumbent? :lol: :P

(i jest!)
Hey, don't laugh - there are crazies out there who would do it! Not me though: I reckon mountain bikes are made for off-road riding and my 'bent is made for paved roads.
Moo wrote:Mr Moo has limited mtb experience (read: can ride, but if there is tricky stuff it may be interesting)
Mr Moo might struggle then, I'm afraid to say. The tracks aren't too difficult by themselves, but doing them under self-illumination adds more complexity (and fun) to tracks which would otherwise be simple. I have taken my 10 year old son on the 12 hour track on his MTB - which he enjoyed immensely - but it was broad daylight and he wasn't being subjected to the mental pressure of having a rider come flying up behind him*.

If Mr Moo would like to give it a go, I'll take him out there one evening this week and we can do a few laps together. (The offer is open to anyone else too.)

Cheers,
Graeme

(* The mental pressure is all self imposed, by the way. These MTB races are for fun, not sheep stations. No one really cares if a newbie holds them up for a few seconds - everyone appreciates a little excuse to slow for a little while to catch their breath.)
---------------------

tomness

Postby tomness » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:52 pm

Hey Greame

I am indeed doing the 12hr. I haven't finalized my team yet. We have 3 riders already. I just need to convince the missus to join our team. Not sure why she doesn't want to really, as she has done the last two 12hrs with us.

So in essence I am saying that I think our team is full, but there is a slim chance of a spot being free.

As for those of you that are not sure about doing the 12 hr, but haven't raced on dirt or ridden at night on dirt before. I can fully recommend the experience. When I was roped into doing my first 12hr it was only 4 days before the race and I had never raced or done a dirt night ride before. I picked up a 20W halogen setup, turned up and did 4 laps and I had a blast. Really it is good fun, with a relaxed vibe.

You will need some MTB skills to deal with the terrain, but the Jarrahdale track is not a super technical track. If you do a few practice laps beforehand (day and then night) and have some decent lights, then you should be fine. I would emphasize the importance of doing practice laps though, just to familiarize yourself with any obstacles.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:30 pm

Thanks Tomness,

Let the lovely lady know I'll be around to nobble her bike so she can't join your team. It's a shame to do it to such a lovely bike, but these things happen ya know. ;)

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:41 pm

Okay,

We've formed a team so I won't be needing any extra people now. Crazycanuck is joining me and two other madmen to trundle around the course, acting as mobile obstacles for the other riders competing.

I might just take the camera with me and snap a few pics.

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

sittingbison

Postby sittingbison » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:49 am

that will be a hoot seeing you trundle around the course with a large format wooden box camera and a black cape.
I have a cunning plan, as cunning as a fox who's just been appointed Professor of Cunning at Oxford University

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:13 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, good point. I might just take the dSLR instead. ;)

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

cavebear2

Postby cavebear2 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:01 pm

Its a shame I can't be involved with this (I would love to)

We're on the Mundabiddi starting with a ride from Bunbury to Nannup then the Mundabiddi from Nannup to Mundaring to home (approx. 640 kms total) between 28th Nov. & 6th or 7th Dec)

We're going to do a review of the Nannup to Collie section for the Mundabiddi website.

gdl_gdl

Postby gdl_gdl » Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:21 am

Good luck Graeme!

By chance, my mate from the UK has just posted a link of his ride from North Wales. (He sent it to my facebook page). I wouldn't mind a crack of this at some point! This is probably people tame to you Graeme but to any newbie (like me) it looks like a great challenge!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=u50T6ndzksc (No sound)

Cheers,

Gary

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:33 am

Thanks Gary.

I've spent a few evenings out there training late last week and this week. It has been a blast! Looks like I'm going to do it on my rigid single speed too - the track is not particularly rough or steep and the laps I've been doing have been pretty quick. I did four laps on Tuesday evening to make sure my body could handle it.

I think I'll still take the Epic out there as a fall-back for the 4.00am lap though. ;)

I think your mate needs better lights! :shock:

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

gdl_gdl

Postby gdl_gdl » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:25 am

BTW, Saw a black bent today on my morning commute today around the Warwick station area - by chance it was the same place I saw Aushiker on Tuesday.

Cheers,

Gary

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:27 am

gdl_gdl wrote:BTW, Saw a black bent today on my morning commute today around the Warwick station area - by chance it was the same place I saw Aushiker on Tuesday.

Cheers,

Gary
Haven't seen that one before. There is a trike I see quite often heading north as I head south in the afternoon/evening and there is a guy who comes from Hale Road around the northern side of Herdsman Lake.

Andrew

sarmy

Postby sarmy » Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:44 am

im not up with'bent talk, but i saw a black one with 3 wheels near mullaloo on the bike path this morning. dont often see them around, said good morning tho!