RBCC Heffron Park 01/11/08.

531db

RBCC Heffron Park 01/11/08.

Postby 531db » Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:05 pm

A quick D Grade report from today's RBCC racing at Heffron Park. Beanzy and myself lined up in a small field of D grade riders which meant that we all saw the usual Heffron southerly wind more than usual.

The field all stayed together with no real serious attacks, one of the strongest riders and a likely winner, a girl from Sydney CC had the misfortune to puncture about 3 km from the finish. I lead the bunch for a good portion of the final lap, but going into the final straight found myself less than ideally placed when a couple of riders went early. Beanzy timed his sprint to perfection and won going away, whilst I navigated my way through the bunch for a distant second, only just squeaking past the third place rider.

Average speed was just over 33 kph for the 28 and a bit km, IMHO about where RBCC D grade should be in relation to other RBCC grades.

JV911

Re: RBCC Heffron Park 01/11/08.

Postby JV911 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:36 pm

531db wrote:whilst I navigated my way through the bunch for a distant second
well done mate!
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

zozza

Postby zozza » Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:55 am

Hi 531db, well done on the place :) , prob see you at lansdown in the morning? Hope the sheila did a lot of work in front before she punctured :P . Like to try one there sometime soon, :)

531db

Postby 531db » Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:56 am

zozza wrote:Hi 531db, well done on the place :) , prob see you at lansdown in the morning? Hope the sheila did a lot of work in front before she punctured :P . Like to try one there sometime soon, :)
No to Lansdowne, I had to go straight to work a nightshift which did not end until 0800 Sunday morning. I should be at SIRC on Monday night though. :D

Beanzy

Postby Beanzy » Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:23 pm

As 531db said a small field lined up on Saturday arvo D grade with a strong south wester that turned more easterly as the race went on. It still provided a hand down the back over the pimples but was deadly in the home straight.

The girl from Sydney CC looked strong from the outset and i was quick to mark her. She was also strong last week. She looked like she could launch an attack at any time but i was pretty much always on her wheel to check any attack.

I took my turns on the front, even into the headwind! If anybody knows me this would not be my preferred place. My turns consisted of winding the pace right back. My preferred option! 531db took his fair share of turns but his turns were much faster speed wise then mine!

On the second last lap Sydney CC girl launched an attack which quickly came to nought as she had a puncture. 531db took the lead going into the final lap and pretty much stayed there. Going into the final straight a couple of riders were a bit edgy and launched their sprints not realising that its about 500m into a strong breeze. I just sat on their wheels till about the 250m to go then launched. I thought 531db was right with me but apparantly got the power down pretty quick and shot off. I kept it going to the end. I was about 10m or so ahead of the pack with 531db 2nd.

Average speed at 33km/h about where d grade should be.

Other stats from Garmin:

28.29km Avg speed 32.8 race time 51.41 avg cadence 77rpm avg heart rate 170bpm Max heart rate 195bpm (sprint!) max speed 46km/h (sprint into the killer headwind!

PS all those people who would like to try racing we have unfortunately have had to cancel E & F grades as no one was turning up. A, B C, and D grades are now at 4pm start.

If D grade stays at around that pace newcomers are more than welcome. Please understand that Heffron park is a slower track than others due to the corners and WIND! Do not be discouraged, come down have a ride.
Beanzy

Hillbrick Pista
Trek 1500 (modified)
Giant Yukon
Garmin 305

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:42 pm

Nice work Beanzy, makes up for last week's puncture.

I'm hoping to come back for another go next weekend, providing the planets align.

lang

Postby lang » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:11 pm

Wow, I was actually there watching from the sidelines just to check it out, and I didn't realise anyone from the forum was there racing.

It was good to watch the final sprint. Looks like everyone gets pushed to their absolute limit, which is great. A-grade was particularly entertaining as they're trying to break away each lap down the front straight.

I should bite the bullet and give D-grade a go next weekend.

jamierk

Postby jamierk » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:57 am

What is the process for getting involved in this sort of racing? Is there licensing or insurance requirements? I'm really keen to give it a go to develop my fitness and riding skills.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:32 am

jamierk wrote:What is the process for getting involved in this sort of racing? Is there licensing or insurance requirements? I'm really keen to give it a go to develop my fitness and riding skills.
You are required to have a Cycling Australia racing licence, which can only be obtained through joining an affiliated CA club or trade team (that's all that's needed to get a licence, it's not like you need to do a test). Clubs are the most common option. Which club really depends on where you are located and the type of racing / riding you are most interested in and the club culture that most suits you.

If you go to the CA website, there will be links to the State Federations and on their websites will be links to all the affiliated clubs.

rob e

Postby rob e » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:28 pm

i'll be joining RBCC in Jan and looking forward to having a go in D grade

531db

Postby 531db » Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:35 pm

rob e wrote:i'll be joining RBCC in Jan and looking forward to having a go in D grade
Just in case you were not aware Rob, you can join and race with RBCC or any other club now on your 2009 licence, almost 2 months "free"in your case, although the offer is available from 1 October each year for the succeeding year, ie you could have had 15 months for the price of 12.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:15 pm

Who was the SCC girl?

531db, I thought they bumped you to C grade ?
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?