Kyneton Castelmaine Melville Caves Bendigo

jasper_244

Kyneton Castelmaine Melville Caves Bendigo

Postby jasper_244 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:42 am

Well its over and done - and sadly, too soon...

No matter..... it was a great little ride ... apart from a small glitch in the route, and a bit of sunburn - but 2 goood lessons here :) make sure sunscreen bottle atually has some in it !! and triple check the route and some alternatives too !

Heading off - Not sure if this look says "Don't mess with me" or ..."Say What am I doing ??"

Hello to Eric from the train, and the touring girls off to Bendigo - Hope you all have / had a great journey.

Great weather on arrival in Kyneton 09.30, clear blue skies and a slight cool breeze.

A little stop at this great bakery for second brekkie :)

Not sure if Santa's gone on their window early or its still there from last year - It looks like its been there forever ! Nice bakery though - great sausage rolls :)

Off through Malmsbury - a really sweet little town - and yes that bakery has to be seen to be believed - just amazing !!

I looked really hard for Alpacas here ..... but just ended up taking pics of fallen logs...

I always leave my glasses behind ! Stoopid !

Found this charming little home near Chewton - just a little bit of work to be done - perfect for the first home buyer with growing family ;)

Its right in the centre of town opposite the Town Hall

Awesome looking pub on the way into Castlemaine ...

Market Just across the road....

Theater Royal in Castlemaine - Can anyone tell me the signifigance of the red flag on top ??

There is a bike shop just next door to here too in case you (like me) forgot something !!!

Castlemaine Botanical Gardens -

OK ... Now here's where the journey gets funky :)

Somewhere between Mary St and Muckleford I go lost ... three times - i rode to the end of Mary St Looking for a left into Lewis Road .... Nope !

Rode Back to Bot Gardens, and back to the end again ... Nope still nada ... Rode back to Castlemaine thinking I might get that train to Maldon - that would help me make up the time I've now lost !!

Ohh thats a steam train touristy thing ... :(

OK - now I need a plan B !!!

Hit the Midland Hwy / Calder Hwy and head through Harcourt to Bendigo.

Please tell me... Why do cars full of kids yell stuff out the window - ? Why do they chose that half second when their window passes your ears to string together the longest sentence they have ever attempted ... Has ANYONE ever made out one of these statements ... ?
I usually follow up with the wet bird, and / or some simulated self gratification, possibly motioning them to come back / pull over .. not sure what I would do if they did - but they never do :) God I sound like an old man already !!

Anyway - backto the route ....

I am back on well known turf along the old calder ... and if I can pick up a turn off on the way I'll take it to reach my destination for the night ... If not I'll find somewhere in Bendigo to stay ...

4 pm - Temperature seems warmer than its been all day .. sun beating down - out of water - legs weary .... arrrghhh !!

Still I keep on.... climbing small hills - I wouldn't normally look twice at - but with all this gear on the back its a different story ! computer says I am doing 8 kph !

Stuff Melville Caves - after doing 100k so far , they look way too far away now.!

So I stay at a family place empty at the moment about 20 mins out of Bendigo ... warm shower, hot nachos, bottle of red and a good nights kip ...

Mission not accomplished - but fun had !!!

Next time will see them caves ;)

I really want to get up to Nth Coast Vic / Sth Coast NSW - Merimbula area next - anyone been there ?

il padrone

Re: Kyneton Castelmaine Melville Caves Bendigo

Postby il padrone » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:59 am

jasper_244 wrote:Found this charming little home near Chewton - just a little bit of work to be done - perfect for the first home buyer with growing family ;)

Its right in the centre of town opposite the Town Hall
Yes, Chewton is a very cute little town with a lot of history and character behind it.
jasper_244 wrote:Theater Royal in Castlemaine - Can anyone tell me the signifigance of the red flag on top ??
No idea. Did you go into their cafe for a coffee and cake? Castlemaine has three or four fabulous cafes.
jasper_244 wrote:OK ... Now here's where the journey gets funky :)

Somewhere between Mary St and Muckleford I go lost ... three times - i rode to the end of Mary St Looking for a left into Lewis Road ....
Oh darn it! That "Lewis Rd" is 10 kms away, way out past Muckleford :oops: . On Mary Street you went up a hill, around some bends then down the other side to a junction? Here you needed to go through the junction, crossing Richards Rd and straight ahead, on Muckleford Rd (there may be a slight right/left here)

Just goes to show the value in a a good map, rather than just a list of directions, IMHO. Oh well, another ride option still there. Just start it from Castlemaine next time, maybe.
jasper_244 wrote:Mission not accomplished - but fun had !!!

Next time will see them caves ;)
That's good to hear. Do try to get out there. The caves are not true limestone caves, barely caves at all, more like gaps and crevices under granite boulders. But the surrounding granite country has some very nice woodland walks, and it is fairly level, open country and box-ironbark forest on the ride to get there. And I do like the wineries at Kingower - very small family run businesses. Beware however, this summer it may well be hot and dry out in that country, this drought has been hitting them hard.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:28 am

Nice work Jasper. It looks like you had a ball.
Has ANYONE ever made out one of these statements ... ?
I believe they are saying "You're doing really well mate. Keep up the good work and I'll buy you a nice cold beer at the next pub. See ya there mate!"

:)

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

stubbie

Postby stubbie » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:59 pm

I think it's the flag of the Isle of Man.
Gravity will never let you down.

jasper_244

Postby jasper_244 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:18 am

Yep - I'd say your spot on ! Thanks Stubbie :)