Alternative Training

jamierk

Alternative Training

Postby jamierk » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:25 pm

Grrr, my front wheel is out of true. The bike is booked in for a service on friday so it should (may) be fixed then. Until then i can't ride. Any good suggestions for alternative fitness activities? Don't want to undo all the good work of the last few months.

Cheers

Jamie

Kev365428

Postby Kev365428 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:40 pm

No suggestions for alternate training, but buy a spoke wrench and true the wheel yourself. Piece of piss and it will save you $20.

Kev.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:01 pm

Hi Jamierk, you could do almost anything - walk, run, swim, weights, yoga etc etc.

If your objective is bike stuff, then head to the gym for an indoor spin or RPM class. It's interval training.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

jamierk

Postby jamierk » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:08 pm

Is it difficult to true a wheel? Bike has a free service due anyway so i figured i could have it done during that.

Yeah i was looking for some training to help with my cycling. Might try and do a spin class or two this week. Anyone have experience with these?

Cheers guys

Jamie

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:49 pm

can you borrow a wheel for a couple of days?
It's only a front so no compatability issues really.

DanielS

Postby DanielS » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:58 pm

jamierk wrote:Is it difficult to true a wheel?
Its hard to get it perfect, but not that hard to get it into a usable state where it isn't rubbing on the brakes.

You'll need a spoke tool. Work out where the kink is. Tighten the spoke that leads to opposite side of hub (turn nipple anti-clockwise). Do it in small increments and be patient, use your brakes as a guide. (there are much much better tutorials on how to do this on the net....)

Otherwise, second the suggestion to just borrow a wheel off someone...

rob e

Postby rob e » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:31 pm

get the runners on and get out there......look for a big set of stairs for repeats....that'll get ya working

jamierk

Postby jamierk » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:56 pm

lol, i do three big flights of stairs every time i get home. Might just go for a run this arvo.

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:09 pm

The other angle to take is that this could be your week of rest. Proper rest within a training program is beneficial for the body to recover and to establish a new base for your next leap... Well, any excuse to bludge.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

jamierk

Postby jamierk » Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:22 pm

sogood wrote:The other angle to take is that this could be your week of rest. Proper rest within a training program is beneficial for the body to recover and to establish a new base for your next leap... Well, any excuse to bludge.
How could i disagree with such expert (sounding) advice :D

Fiance says: Why are you just sitting round on the coach this week

Jamie says: I'm training of course.

Will make up for this week with some decent mileage on saturday and sunday, weather permitting

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:38 pm

Alex would have a lot more to say on this subject of course, but my understanding is, 1 off in 6 weeks is pretty common in structured training. Periodization they call it, I think. :roll:

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:21 pm

If you don't want to pay the shop to fix it, then bring it down to Tempe Velodrome after 7pm tonight and I'll true it for you. The guy in the shop would do a better job than me, but I'll get it going for you.

ni78ck

Postby ni78ck » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:54 pm

mikesbytes wrote:If you don't want to pay the shop to fix it, then bring it down to Tempe Velodrome after 7pm tonight and I'll true it for you. The guy in the shop would do a better job than me, but I'll get it going for you.

great gesture! glad to see good people still about :shock: .

as for what to do for training, if you can run up hills then t :shock: at will be great, or get yourself to souths juniors for some squats and try build up your legs so you can then improve your cycling :lol: .
Cervelo R5
Cervelo S5 VWD - dura ace Di2

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:27 pm

sogood wrote:Alex would have a lot more to say on this subject of course, but my understanding is, 1 off in 6 weeks is pretty common in structured training. Periodization they call it, I think. :roll:
While a set number of weeks training followed by a rest week is a common prescription, it is a very general one and not usually optimal. It also isn't periodisation.

Periodisation is about breaking up the structure of training into "periods" that have a particular purpose. Such as general aerobic conditioning / endurance, or a phase of power endurance/threshold power development, or race specific training or indeed a peak racing period.

While recovery is important in training, there is no need for a regularly scheduled recovery week as such. Recovery should only be taken when it's actually required. That happens at different times for different riders and also depends on what training they been doing (volume and intensity), what their training history is like and what else is going on in their life. When recovery is required, a week may be too much or not enough.

In general, for most of us, rest of life interferes sufficiently to provide more than enough time away from the bike that scheduled recovery periods are hardly ever required.

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:02 pm

So what's the effect of one week rest for people who don't have a structured program, amateurs who self-prescribe rides on a weekly basis? The common sentiment being... "Oh, I missed my weekly 250km of cycling, will I die?"

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:43 pm

sogood wrote:So what's the effect of one week rest for people who don't have a structured program, amateurs who self-prescribe rides on a weekly basis? The common sentiment being... "Oh, I missed my weekly 250km of cycling, will I die?"
They won't die. :lol:

Their long term fitness goals are either delayed, or they don't reach as great an overall fitness level at the time they really want it. In the end though, you "run what you brung"*.

But if one is doing 250km/week of pretty much the same stuff, then fitness gains will likely plateau after 3-4 months anyway.

For anyone interested, the concept of an Impulse-Response model of measuring/managing training stress (both acute and chronic) is an excellent way to demonstrate the impacts.

* - A Kirk Willett-ism

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:03 am

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:They won't die.

But if one is doing 250km/week of pretty much the same stuff, then fitness gains will likely plateau after 3-4 months anyway.

For anyone interested, the concept of an Impulse-Response model of measuring/managing training stress (both acute and chronic) is an excellent way to demonstrate the impacts.
Hence this periodisation thingy, right?

Yes, human physiological response to stress is an interesting one, one that has evolved through millions of years of evolution. The question is how one can beat that well entrenched system, one that's already encoded in our genome... But there's one thing for sure in the meantime, we WILL die, eventually. :lol:

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:11 am

sogood wrote:Hence this periodisation thingy, right?

Yes, human physiological response to stress is an interesting one, one that has evolved through millions of years of evolution. The question is how one can beat that well entrenched system, one that's already encoded in our genome... But there's one thing for sure in the meantime, we WILL die, eventually. :lol:
That and taxes :D

Here's that Bike Radar piece I did a little while back:

http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/articl ... less-18287

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:51 am

A very logical article. Like it.

One very basic fact on this stress/strain response in a biological system can be seen at the cellular level. If one was to apply a cyclical strain on a cell or a group of cells, then the cells would adapt and eventually reduce the stress on it to the minimum (conservation of energy). This basic evolutionary response can also be observed in just about every organ system. And in order to stress cells for an extended duration, various lab strategies relating to periodic rest and progressive increases in strain have also been applied ie. Never let those bastard cells settle into a predictable routine. So what you said earlier relating to training is consistent with many of these basic principles that exists at the cellular level. At the end of the day, we are training individual cells in our body. :lol:

jamierk

Postby jamierk » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:41 am

Interesting reading guys. Part of my interest in cycling as a sport is how well the athletes know their own bodies limits.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:14 am

sogood wrote:So what you said earlier relating to training is consistent with many of these basic principles that exists at the cellular level.
Funny that :wink:

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:18 pm

I find that rests are enforced by environmental things - weather, work issues, holidays, etc etc

ni78ck

Postby ni78ck » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:43 pm

mikesbytes wrote:I find that rests are enforced by environmental things - weather, work issues, holidays, etc etc
+1
Cervelo R5
Cervelo S5 VWD - dura ace Di2

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:16 pm

mikesbytes wrote:I find that rests are enforced by environmental things - weather, work issues, holidays, etc etc
As in this thread's case. :lol:

jamierk

Postby jamierk » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:32 pm

sogood wrote:
As in this thread's case. :lol:
+1