Sonoma Valley California

MREJ

Sonoma Valley California

Postby MREJ » Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:04 pm

I'm planning a week in Sonoma Valley this October. It sounds like there's a lot of good cycling in the area. My question is about where to stay. We are looking at a base in the Santa Rosa to Healdsburg area, and specifically, wondering whether it'd be better in downtown Santa Rosa, in the surrounding country, or in Healdsburg.

It'll be me and my wife. We plan to ride most days, but also want to take time to look around and get a feel for the place. The wineries are not really the focus - more the natural features and the history and culture of the area.

Any opinions or suggestions from people who know the area would be much appreciated.

Marcus
2016 S-Works Tarmac, 2014 Wabi Lightning SE, 2012 Felt F75, 2011 Genesis Equilibrium 20, ancient Avanti Pista track bike

rama

Re: Sonoma Valley California

Postby rama » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:48 pm

Marcus,
there is not much to see in that area, except wineries and hot springs. If you insist, go for the Calistoga geyser and the Francis Ford Coppola winery (an adventure park really).
San Francisco itself is much more interesting. You may also like to explore the amazing scenery at the Monterrey / Carmel / Big Sur area to the south of SF, or hire a car to head inland to the spectacular Yosemite national park.
Have fun
Angelos

PS, no such thing as history and culture in the USA!

MREJ

Postby MREJ » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:29 am

Thanks Rama :-)

Have been to San Fran and points south, so we are looking for new places. Yosemite is an interesting thought. I will look into that.
2016 S-Works Tarmac, 2014 Wabi Lightning SE, 2012 Felt F75, 2011 Genesis Equilibrium 20, ancient Avanti Pista track bike

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:36 pm

I have friends there and have stayed with them and ridden around the area quite a bit, including the local granfondo a couple of times. The riding is pretty darn good! Santa Rosa isn't an overly big town, and is safe to ride in and getting to good rides doesn't take long. Enjoy!

geoff_tewierik

Postby geoff_tewierik » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:16 pm

Probably worth talking to Patrick of RedKitePrayer.com as he now lives in the Sonoma County and extolls the riding in that area.

MREJ

Postby MREJ » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:37 pm

Hi everyone. Short update following the trip (which was last October). We stayed in Sebastopol, an attractive and very manageable town with excellent access to a range of rides. The riding was terrific, with quiet country roads, good climbing and coastal options. The behaviour of motorists was very accommodating. I got most of the ride ideas from the Santa Rosa CC website, and their suggestions were well worth following. We just did rides between Sebastopol and the coast, so there is a whole other world of opportunities to the north and east which will have to wait for another time. All in all, it was one of our better cycling holidays, and I'd like to go back.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:02 pm

Cool. It's sure is a great place for cycling.