Trick for cleaning your cassette

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Trick for cleaning your cassette

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:21 pm

If you know this... awesome. But I get a lot of questions from people asking how to clean their cassette and looking at special brushes and things. My technical is simple, fast and effective. (shout out to the forum members :))

Christopher
Cycling is in my BNA

human909

Re: Trick for cleaning your cassette

Postby human909 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:46 am

My 2 cents.

My cassette and jokey wheels no longer get dirty since I've started using motor oil as my bike lubricant. They are mirror finish but they stay silver without getting black gunk that used to build up when I used bike specific oil such a Pedros. Same goes for the chain too, it doesn't get too gunky and need degreasing. (The only real disadvantage that I've observed is it is less water resistant than wax or some other bike lubes)

And I'm not the only one who has experience this

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:26 am

Yes, the rag works, but only after I've used an old spoke to dig out the mud and other gunk in there, given it a brush with a cassette specific brush, and hosed it off with a bit of pressure.

johnfordau

Postby johnfordau » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:36 am

Very nice on very nice road bike .. I use hose on high pressure ..

silentC

Postby silentC » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:52 am

This is a great way to do it. I make this a Saturday afternoon task and I have been known to take the wheel off and sit with it on my lap, doing the same thing you do there, with a beer within easy reach :)

Another way you can do it is to use a longer rag, tie it around the seat stay above the cross member, hold it taught with one hand, turn the pedal with the other to spin the wheel and slide the rag in between each cog as it rotates. Requires a bit of care not to get tangled up but it's quick and easy.
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:15 pm

A roll of 25mm cotton tape from Spotlight works a treat too.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:19 pm

johnfordau wrote:Very nice on very nice road bike .. I use hose on high pressure ..
I'd be too scared to stuff up my hub bearings doing it that way!
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:13 pm

Time to fess up, how many others remove the cassette, dismantle it to clean each cog & spacer before putting it all back together. only on my weekend bike of course, the commuter just gets ridden.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

bigfut

Postby bigfut » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:37 pm

find_bruce wrote:Time to fess up, how many others remove the cassette, dismantle it to clean each cog & spacer before putting it all back together. only on my weekend bike of course, the commuter just gets ridden.
Guilty. Did it last weekend to both bikes...

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:51 pm

The quick method is exactly how I do it.

Occasionally I take the cassette off the wheel and clean each individual cog, maybe twice a year.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:52 pm

ValleyForge wrote:A roll of 25mm cotton tape from Spotlight works a treat too.
This is my new friend :D
I get rid of the heavier gunk first with a hacksaw blade that's got the rough side of some adhesive velcro stuck to it.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:00 pm

Only do a thorough clean when I move the cassette to a new wheel.

I have a brush - that is probably good for the MTB or a quick brush on the roadie, but to get the grit and grim, the old rag brings back the shine.

hacksaw blade... wonder if you get a better result with the bush saw blade?

Some good tips... I think I should invent a 'clean teeth' inspired teeth cleaning kit that give you great smiles. First brush, then floss and finally rinse and lube.
Cycling is in my BNA

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:19 pm

I've always flossed the cassette like that with a longer rag and petrol, but with the wheel off the bike and on the ground. From the bottom up, left will wipe, right will freewheel the cassette to the next position. Do it for a full revolution and go to the next gap.

I rarely need to clean the cassette though. I dismantle it individually when I buy it(often used) and clean it. Once clean, a waxed chain stays clean from the start. Flossing is only required if I got caught in the rain.
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:46 pm

find_bruce wrote:Time to fess up, how many others remove the cassette, dismantle it to clean each cog & spacer before putting it all back together. only on my weekend bike of course, the commuter just gets ridden.
If/when I bother to clean the cassette, this is the way I do it.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:05 pm

I have quite a sturdy and large brush that I use for this purpose. I tend to use detergent, with a little bit of water and spin the cranks around. Then I'll wash it away with some water and dry it with compressed air. That usually gets the cassette and chain quite clean. Then use a bit of the Shimano chain lube: http://www.this link is broken/au/e ... -prod27242

I haven't bothered with the rag method above, but I have taken the cassette off a few times and thoroughly cleaned it.

DG1984

Postby DG1984 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:20 pm

http://www.bikebug.com/park-tool-gsc-1- ... 20015.html

+ your degreaser of choice. While turning the wheel/cranks seems to do the job pretty well. Fantastic for cleaning the chain too. Though I'm finding it all goes black very, very quickly whilst using Squirt Dry Lube. Also not the greatest lube if you use the bike indoors on a trainer (little black chunks of grease/lube go everywhere), luckily we don't have carpet or I would be in a lot of trouble from the mrs...

Jash Rider

Postby Jash Rider » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:11 pm

find_bruce wrote:Time to fess up, how many others remove the cassette, dismantle it to clean each cog & spacer before putting it all back together.
Is there any other way?

Also pull apart the derailleur hanger to clean the pulleys and cage, and also remove the chain to give it a petrol bath at the same time before re-lubing everything. Takes about an hour or so I'd guess. Then there's the precision adjustments to brakes during the same service with the pads coming off for cleaning, as well as scrubbing the rim to remove all the crud and stuff.

My is bike is 8 years old and on a Sunday ride it always looks the newest. It honestly disgusts me when you see people riding an expensive bike and there's sludge on the chain, and tar and road grime all over the frame that's been there since their first ride. And the noises that come from the drive train and brakes when they're used. Like the sound of fingernails being drawn down a chalkboard.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:52 am

The lube you use and the weather and riding conditions affect how quickly a chain and gears pick up road grime. A sticky / oily lube gets dirtier quickly though can also keep it running longer between applications (if it isn't getting too dirty).
Cycling is in my BNA

johnfordau

Postby johnfordau » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:22 pm

rodneycc wrote:
johnfordau wrote:Very nice on very nice road bike .. I use hose on high pressure ..
Point .. but not that higher pressure and not directly at axle ..

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:05 pm

johnfordau wrote:
rodneycc wrote:
Point .. but not that higher pressure and not directly at axle ..
I recall an interview with Trek mechanic during a grand tour. He was cleaning the bikes with a Karcher (high pressure cleaner) and the interviewer asked him if that was a good idea. He remarked that the bikes were only to last for another few days and what happened to them then wasn't his business. He just had to get them clean for the sponsors and the cameras.
And a Karcher DOES get your bike clean, but at a cost I suspect. 8)
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

human909

Postby human909 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:48 pm

Jash Rider wrote:
find_bruce wrote:Time to fess up, how many others remove the cassette, dismantle it to clean each cog & spacer before putting it all back together.
Is there any other way?
Lube appropriately so you don't get gunk building up.
Jash Rider wrote:My is bike is 8 years old and on a Sunday ride it always looks the newest. It honestly disgusts me when you see people riding an expensive bike and there's sludge on the chain, and tar and road grime all over the frame that's been there since their first ride.
Disgusts you? :roll: I suppose you have a right to your own opinion/attitude. But to most people a bicycle is not a show pony. I have bikes of ages 25, 17, 8, 4. I use my 25 year old road bike the most. :mrgreen:

(My drive train stays clean due to my previously mention lubing regime. The frame certainly has plenty of road spatter all over it. My bike is there to be used now for the show room.)

silentC

Postby silentC » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:48 pm

Can we just take it as read that some people want to keep their drive chains nice and shiny for their own personal reasons and not try to convince them that it's unnecessary every time the topic comes up? I bet if I followed you around for a day I could pick up all sorts of idiosyncratic things you do :)
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

human909

Postby human909 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:50 pm

Yep. I agree. Tolerance of other people's differences is great! However comments such as "it disgusts me" does not seem to reflect that. :wink: In fact in general conversation it would come across as downright rude!

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:23 pm

human909 wrote:Yep. I agree. Tolerance of other people's differences is great! However comments such as "it disgusts me" does not seem to reflect that. :wink: In fact in general conversation it would come across as downright rude!
Perhaps you need to retreat to your "safe space" to protect you from such "hate speech". :lol:

human909

Postby human909 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:30 pm

biker jk wrote:Perhaps you need to retreat to your "safe space" to protect you from such "hate speech". :lol:
Now you are just deliberately being rude. Do you really have to? Seriously lets get back to the topic rather than throwing mud at people.