Fox Shox claims accident was Russell Pinder's own fault

Aushiker

Fox Shox claims accident was Russell Pinder's own fault

Postby Aushiker » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:19 pm

G'day

Interesting article in BikeRadar.com
Suspension fork company Fox Racing Shox claims the accident that left mountain biker Russell Pinder paralysed was caused by his own negligence.

The firm's lawyer told the High Court in London that the cyclist should have checked that the quick-release skewer on his front wheel was done up. He insisted the accident had not been caused by any "defect" in Mr Pinder's Fox Float 100R fork.

Mr Pinder, 44, of Blewberry, near Didcot, Oxfordshire, is now confined to a wheelchair after the front wheel of his bike came loose during a ride in the Brecon Beacons, Wales, in March 2003, and he was paralysed from the chest down.
Balance at BikeRadar.com.

Andrew

Deanj

Postby Deanj » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:04 pm

Terrible accident :(

Without knowing the full details how your meant to know your quick release has come loose during a ride I wouldn't know.

I rode to work the other month on my commute bike, when I went to ride home I noticed something didn't look quite right with the front wheel. Looking a bit closer I realised I had not replaced my QR skewer that I had put on my other MTB to use for a race. Had ridden to work and not noticed a thing with the handling. :oops:

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:12 pm

Like you say Dean terrible accident.But knowing those forks as I have a pair..you have to release the skewer and undo it quite a bit to get the wheel out over the tangs...but stranger things have happened...I would probably be suing the skewer manufacturer as it is what came lose?.