Another bash hat question

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Another bash hat question

Postby europa » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:35 am

Sunburn. Yep, I'm one of those who's head is a mix of grey and pink. I go riding on a sunny day and my head gets sunburned through all those air holes (seriously, it can look quite comical). I'm not interested in wearing a peaked hat under my helmet, but a lightweight scull cap springs to mind. The only one I've seen so far would have resulted in cranial meltdown (maybe for the depths of winter).

Any thoughts on what to wear and where to find one? Plans to make one? Must be very light - sunprotection only - I'm one of nature's sweaters - have to keep wiping the salt off my top tube :shock:

Maybe something over the helmet rather than directly on my head?

Stay inside under the aircon on sunny days? With a beer?

Richard

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Another bash hat question

Postby heavymetal » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:59 am

europa wrote:I'm not interested in wearing a peaked hat under my helmet
I wear a peaked legionnaires cap. It is made for cycling and protects against a sunburnt neck. It has a mesh top.

Why is it made for cycling? Firstly it doesn't have that little button on the top like most peaked caps as it can cause an injury. Secondly the sunshade part that sticks out to protect your face from sunburn is not stiff. It is flexible and is designed not to cause injury in the event of an accident.

Have you tried a shower cap over the outside of your helmet? :lol:

There are helmet covers available, but I think they are all designed for wet weather riding and might be a bit hot in our climate.

Kev.

europa

Postby europa » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:02 pm

Where'd you get that cap from Kev?

Richard

MichaelB

Re: Another bash hat question

Postby MichaelB » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:04 pm

heavymetal wrote:
europa wrote:I'm not interested in wearing a peaked hat under my helmet

There are helmet covers available, but I think they are all designed for wet weather riding and might be a bit hot in our climate.

Kev.
I have seen them a while ago, but they were for sun. Stretchy lightweight top with a neck cover as well. No peak either.

Try the Cancer Council - they often have stuff like that or may be able to point you in the right direction

Cheers

Michael B

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:10 pm

europa wrote:Where'd you get that cap from Kev?

Richard
Dean Woods of course :D There are a couple of types. This is the one that I have.

Kev.

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:20 pm

This one is simple, just get a bandana. Wear it underneath your helmet and it'll protect against the sun as well as wick sweat away.

You can make your own with any bit of cloth or buy a more fancy one made of CoolMax or other sports fabric. Tie it at the back and off you go.

Of the later, Halo is a good brand. They have a synthetic strip on the forehead that guides sweat out to the side. It works.

http://www.haloheadband.com/
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

europa

Postby europa » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:23 pm

Thanks boys. Something to look at :D

Richard

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:03 pm

Lots of guys in the club wear bandanas - either Camp Quality (a kids with cancer charity) cotton ones ($5) or Coolmax fabric ones (anywhere from $10 to $30+).
I use Coolmax ones from Uno - about $12

pugsly

Postby pugsly » Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:24 pm

I sport a no.1 crewcut/buzz cut. I just hate dealing with my hair, so I cut it all off. I have similar problems with the sun, but I just treat my scalp the same as the rest of me when going riding - plenty of sunscreen!

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:07 pm

The nice thing with those bandanas made of synthetic sports material is that they are quick drying (so they should be when they are on your head). I usually just give it a hand wash in the shower after each ride. In a few hours it's totally dry and ready to use again. Despite the extra layer on your head, on a hot day, these supposedly keep your head cooler and helps with the evaporative process.

As for cotton ones, they trap sweat and stay saturated once soaked. Not really ideal if you ride hard or sweat a lot.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:33 pm

pugsly wrote:I sport a no.1 crewcut/buzz cut. I just hate dealing with my hair, so I cut it all off. I have similar problems with the sun, but I just treat my scalp the same as the rest of me when going riding - plenty of sunscreen!

Way too cool, mr. The mrs better keep an eye on you.

Burn plenty of Glycogen
Frame Size Calculator.....Park Tools Repair Guides
ImageImageImage
training log
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?