Renting a Road Bike while in Aus/New Zealand

DTanner

Renting a Road Bike while in Aus/New Zealand

Postby DTanner » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:46 pm

Hi, I am new to this. I am triathlete living in Tokyo and am coming to Sydney and New Zealand for 2 weeks in January. Bringing my road bike with me is prohibitively expensive as Quantas charge separately by weight. Does anyone know whether I can rent a decent road bike in Sydney and other major cities in Aus/New Zealand - I have searched the net and there are a few places that seem to rent hybrids or moutain bikes by the day, what I am looking for is rental of a road bike. I will bring my own helmet and accessories etc. Any help more than welcome!!!

utopia

Postby utopia » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:13 am

Im not sure if any of these shops hire road bikes but you might try emailing some of them and see what they have.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:55 am

G'day

Can't comment on Australia, but in NZ you can hire touring bikes. Those same outfits may hire roadies. I suggest a search on hiring touring bikes in NZ. Should come up with something better than buying (I mean hiring :wink: ) a mtb.

Andrew

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:33 am

Forget Qantas, try Air New Zealand. They give you a 10kg weight credit for taking a bike. But if your general luggage isn't excessive, they wouldn't be too strict on it. But YMMV given that you'll be flying out of NRT. Japanese agents often do everything by the book. I flew with them back in August for my return trip to Beijing, connecting through AKL and have found their luggage service to be very good (no rough handling).
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

utopia

Postby utopia » Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:17 pm

For NZ you might want to check Nz Cycle tours