Northern Beaches - Manly, Akuna, Westhead, Palm Beach

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Northern Beaches - Manly, Akuna, Westhead, Palm Beach

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:07 pm

Just confirming that the Mona Vale Road / Myoora Road intersection - travelling east on Mona Vale Road (towards Terry Hills), the Road Works speed limit is 60kmh - which is 10km lower than the regular 70kmh speed limit.

The temporary road works is an inconvenience though in the current form, traffic may not necessary slow to 60km and cycle traffic has to merge onto the swift moving traffic lane. An improvement would be more information for motor traffic such as prominent "Watch for cyclists" signage in this area to highlight awareness.

In the current form, I expect that some motorists will try to squeeze past bike riders. Similarly, it can increase frustration when motorists feel that they are inconvenienced by slower moving cyclists. Adding the warnings sends a signal that motorist should anticipate cyclists and reenforces that cyclists also can legally share the road.
Cycling is in my BNA

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:25 pm

Yes I also confirmed the 60kmh speed limit signs (although I swear to have earlier seen 40kmh and noticed some signs were blacked out). Note that the existing speed limit is 80kmh not 70kmh. There is a sign warning motorists turning left at the lights to watch for cyclists.

Also note there's a huge pothole/crater on Pittwater Rd immediately after Bakers Rd when heading to Church Pt from Bayview. It's mostly on the right hand side of the lane so room to pass it on the left.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:33 am

For the Mona Vale Road / Myoora Road intersection, I have been paying more attention and returning late at night notice two electronic display signs in the approach. The first one a few hundred meters ahead and quite visible at night. The second one is just before the intersection, before the concrete barriers and slightly obscured / distracted by other signage.

During the day, these are very easy to miss so I have only noticed them at night.
Cycling is in my BNA

hunch

Postby hunch » Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:19 pm

If anyone local is keen, Mike Baird will be attending a community forum on Tuesday for a Q & A session, starting 7pm at Manly Yacht club..mostly local issues, but one of the agenda items is CSG drilling.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:58 pm

I wrote to the Northern Beaches council general secretary requesting a solution to the dangerous traffic islands as I keep getting vehicles cutting me off with dangerous... and illegal passing. I suggest a few solutions - will wait and see.

In other news, the Dutch Slide on McCarrs Creek Road (aka the green bin corner) took out a rider this morning. I passed with my group, after reminding them all to take care, and there was a rider down with a fellow rider helping. I asked if I could help but they didn't need help. The fallen rider had bleeding knees and arms - I am guessing that he hit the gravel and slid out.

The council has allocated funds to resurface the two corners in this years budget, so hopefully they get onto it soon. As soon as we passed, one (new) riding buddy talked about two of his friends that went down there, another riding buddy had another friend fall over.

The terrible road surface really needs to be fixed, particularly there where it is causing accidents.
Cycling is in my BNA

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:27 am

It might serve to send the manager another email stating that you are aware of a number of crashes in this location due to the damaged road surface and that it requires urgent attention.

If they don't fix quickly, politely remind him with a follow-up that lack of meaningful action after being placed on notice exposes them to legal action for liability, and that as a ratepayer you would prefer to see council avoid damaging its reputation and wasting its resources defending such actions.

This usually lights a fire under them, and fixes are usually done promptly.

For comparison, a nasty pothole that resulted in a pinch flat and damaged rim at Beauty Point was advised to Mosman Council and fixed within a week. I didn't need to follow up.

The (now ex-) Manly Council put a regular program in place after I advised them of the need for a safe systems approach to the safety issues caused by lack of maintenance on the Burnt Bridge Creek shared-use path.

Poor sight lines caused by the intrusion of foliage into the corridor and the large quantities of leaf litter that gets deposited at the northern end after adverse weather were the specific issues. They have instituted regular pruning and schedule site visits after heavy storms. A good outcome.

However, you do need to find an appropriately senior person, or advise the general Council email. I used both delivery ad read receipts requests.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:30 pm

Individual potholes tend to go quickly, they have a roving team.

I have a response from a cycle strategy manager who is seeking out further information - $180,000 was allocated and the program carried over into the Norther Beaches council for this - just need to find out the schedule.
Cycling is in my BNA

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:13 pm

An Update - around mid September, the road works are expected to start to fix the Dutch Slide (bin corner) on McCarrs Creek road which, in its current state, causes regular accidents.
Cycling is in my BNA

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:25 pm

AUbicycles wrote:An Update - around mid September, the road works are expected to start to fix the Dutch Slide (bin corner) on McCarrs Creek road which, in its current state, causes regular accidents.
Just curious about which side of the corner causes the accidents? Heading towards Church Pt there's a well known and clearly visible pot hole right on the racing line but it's easy to avoid. Admittedly, the bush turkey there today was a touch trickier.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:08 am

Particularly heading West (coming from Church point and heading into the park) on the second corner which sweeps right - the road surface is a disaster and any riders who take an outside line to avoid all of the holes risk the gravel a debris.

Also in the opposite direction, while there is less debris, when you come into the first corner the road surface is crappy.

The other corner is not quite as dangerous but I have still seen cyclists down (travelling west) after slipping on the approach.
Cycling is in my BNA

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:05 am

The widening of the shoulder on Mona Vale Rd at the Myoora Rd intersection is complete. It will be interesting to see if they make the reduced 60kmh speed limit at the intersection permanent.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:34 am

biker jk wrote:Just curious about which side of the corner causes the accidents? Heading towards Church Pt there's a well known and clearly visible pot hole right on the racing line but it's easy to avoid. Admittedly, the bush turkey there today was a touch trickier.
Not the brightest, those critters. The call "Turkey up!" caused some amusement in our bunch last weekend :lol:
AUbicycles wrote:Particularly heading West (coming from Church point and heading into the park) on the second corner which sweeps right - the road surface is a disaster and any riders who take an outside line to avoid all of the holes risk the gravel a debris.
Despite expecting it, I am almost always surprised when it arrives and go in too hot, spot the pothole patchwork on the line late, then run wide and find myself panic dabbing the brakes to avoid running off onto the shoulder as the cambering tips the wrong way and the corner tightens up. :| Either that or we've been riding 2x formation and I've been on the wrong side.

I think out of the last half-dozen times I've been through there I've only once successfully cut to the inside and successfully squeezed between the rough section and the double centre lines. It messes with my head. :x

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:34 am

Picking the good line is important so I avoid going into it two-abreast, often speak up before the corner to remind fellow riders to take it slow and simply approach it with caution.

I have uploaded a video from the end of last month - a rider fell just before we passed and that is the main area where riders fall. I have however seen riders down on the approach into the top corner as well - where the road surface is poor and riders who are less familara with the area or less confident discover they have to shave of speed while negotiating this.

Cycling is in my BNA

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:15 pm

biker jk wrote:The widening of the shoulder on Mona Vale Rd at the Myoora Rd intersection is complete. It will be interesting to see if they make the reduced 60kmh speed limit at the intersection permanent.
No it won't. It will go back to 80km/h
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:24 pm

Strawburger wrote:
biker jk wrote:The widening of the shoulder on Mona Vale Rd at the Myoora Rd intersection is complete. It will be interesting to see if they make the reduced 60kmh speed limit at the intersection permanent.
No it won't. It will go back to 80km/h
I never understood why it's 80kmh at that intersection. Appears crazy to have such a high speed limit at that location.

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:08 pm

The greater road corridor is earmarked for upgrade. The geometric design is a higher spec, with the road being a dual carriageway it allows for greater speeds.
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:16 pm

Strawburger wrote:The greater road corridor is earmarked for upgrade. The geometric design is a higher spec, with the road being a dual carriageway it allows for greater speeds.
In the morning when heading east there can be next to zero visibility approaching that intersection due to the sun. Crazy to have an 80kmh speed limit in such conditions.

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:30 pm

biker jk wrote:
Strawburger wrote:The greater road corridor is earmarked for upgrade. The geometric design is a higher spec, with the road being a dual carriageway it allows for greater speeds.
In the morning when heading east there can be next to zero visibility approaching that intersection due to the sun. Crazy to have an 80kmh speed limit in such conditions.
You're always going to get sun in the eyes no matter where you put a road, as roads aren't straight, eventually they bend . There are guides around changing of speed limits too.

If the sun is in drivers eyes, really they should be driving to the conditions. I know most don't, that seems to have been lost on the last two generations of drivers

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:56 pm

AUbicycles wrote:Picking the good line is important so I avoid going into it two-abreast, often speak up before the corner to remind fellow riders to take it slow and simply approach it with caution.
Yup. That's the one - the second right-hander. I always seem to go "That corner's coming up soon.... arrrgh dammit ! :x "

Zippy7

Postby Zippy7 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:40 pm

Yes, agree the road surface is bad, but... This is Sydney, it could be worse! :)
Successful trades : Rheicel, Je, wgc138, 2ndeffort, celeste boy, rodneycc

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:08 pm

I see that cycling is becoming popular and it is good for the area to encourage and make it safer and more attractive. There is also a bit of aggro on McCarrs creek from some drivers so making it safer would benefit all.

Unfortunately - this is a bit too progressive but the local council (or at least the old part - Pittwater) have been open and positive even though the outlook is gradual changes and improvements.

--

Will check out the Mona Vale upgrade (and drive it). I thought it was 70kmh on the approach to the lights (from 90 to 70... then after the intersection to 80).

If it is wider then it is certainly better than have the previous lane which had fast traffic and a very narrow lane.The other thing is passing through the intersection.
Cycling is in my BNA

caneye

Postby caneye » Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:09 pm

the mona vale-myoora intersection is heaps better and safer. thank you council!!

(although looking at the amount of work that was done .. you do wonder what took them so long! :wink: )

yup .. don't like the aggro on Mccarrs creek. better to just do a few more k's and go through Akuna Bay counter-clockwise.

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:11 pm

caneye wrote:the mona vale-myoora intersection is heaps better and safer. thank you council!!

(although looking at the amount of work that was done .. you do wonder what took them so long! :wink: )
Don't thank the council, they had nothing to do with it. The people who worked on it to make it happen would be offended!

If you want to thank someone, thank downermouchel on enquiries_nsw@downermouchel.com

They would appreciate it a whole lot. You don't get much thanks from the general public (especially the motorised sort) so some kind words would be great.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:50 am

That's right, this is not a council managed road. But downermouchel are effectively a contractor and the decision to upgrade is probably not their initiative either.

When I put in my first request (2012 or 2013) the communication with with the RTA (now RMS) who put this through to their engineerings who positively received the suggestion. It was potentially a different contractor (remember the lanes on Mona Vale were resurfaced - but they didn't do such a good job as this extended partly into the shoulder which is not great for cyclists).
Cycling is in my BNA

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:04 am

It wasn't you either Chris! ;)

The instruction came from high up in the RMS at the end of last year. DownerMouchel were responsible for making it happen. The project was so complex that the RMS themselves couldn't believe DM got it done in such a short space of time let alone completed the project in the first place.