Giant TCR 2 or Trek 5000???

bikeboy

Giant TCR 2 or Trek 5000???

Postby bikeboy » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:42 pm

Hey guys. IM in the process of buying my first road bike. Yahooo!! Ive been riding MTB for years and I cant wait to get out on the road. Im planning on spending between 2 and 3 grand and so far have liked the look of the Giant TCR 2 2006 and the Trek 5000. Im unsure which bike is the best and would love some advice on which one would be better, or on the other hand any other bikes that would suit my price range. Im planning on doing rides between 50-100 kms on Saturdays mainly.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys.

Nath.

Halfanewb

Postby Halfanewb » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:54 am

Welcome to the forums bikeboy :)

For that sort of dosh most any bike you buy will be a high standard bit of kit so the choice will come down to your personal preferences.

Have you had a test ride on both bikes? , most shops should adjust the bikes and set you up for a test ride so you can asses which bike suits you in terms of fit and ride characteristics. Spending time test riding a few bike brands is well worth it, some have different geometries (compact frame etc ) and one might suit you over another. Also the giant 06 should have a respectable discount on the price tag as it is last years model.

I upgraded to a shogun team issue a few months ago but i nearly bought a bike from cell bikes in sydney which imo are good value, check out this link to the Victor

Enjoy the shopping process, sometimes its love at first sight, ultimately its all about the passion :)

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:43 am

Agree, test ride and test ride!

Beyond that, one should compare the component groups and wheelset used on each bike.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:04 pm

Definitely test ride. Both frames have very different geometry - the TCR has the sloping top tube, with the Trek having the flat top tube. Personally, I prefer the sloping tube for looks and it fits me better (mine is kinda between the two :? ).

You will find with this geometry difference, they will feel different to ride. Don't just go round the block on it though. This is a lot of money to fork out. Try riding sitting, standing, and if you can, go up a hill in both positions. The more you can do, the more you will get the feel of each and will be able to pick the one you prefer.

Good luck and happy shopping :D

Moo...

wayno

Postby wayno » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:05 pm

I'm also looking at the two, add the Scott CR1 Team Pro in there as well.

I am leaning towards the Giant TCR2, a friend has a TCR1 and it rides really well, for someone my weight (70kg) anyway. The Trek is a little heavier and looks like older Trek Madone's that Lance used. Both have lifetime warranty, or I think Giant still does as I can find no reference to this on their website.

The Scott is the lightest, the frame is less than 1kg, really impressive for a sub $3500 bike. Not sure about the ride and stiffness though.

My bet is the Giant.

bikeboy

Postby bikeboy » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:37 pm

Thanks for the replys guys. I havnt tested any of the bikes as yet, but im leaning towards the Giant. I was also looking at the cell bike website and really liked the Velocita Ultegra. Im pretty sure the gearing on the Velocita is better than what is on the Giant (Shimano 105) Im not really sure about that so please let me know if Im wrong. I guess there wouldnt be that much of a difference between the two, but if I knew there is a better more quality option then Id rather choose it.

Nath.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:58 pm

G'Day Nath and Wayno, welcome :)

I haven't seen the Trek up close so I can't comment. I'm happy to recommend Giants to anyone that likes their test ride on one. I recently bought a Giant roadie after years of MTB (another Giant) and frankly fell in love with the ride and handling after an hours test. Not to mention how great she looks :wink:

Go testing fellers, there's one out there with your name on it :)

Shaun

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:23 am

bikeboy wrote:Thanks for the replys guys. I havnt tested any of the bikes as yet, but im leaning towards the Giant. I was also looking at the cell bike website and really liked the Velocita Ultegra. Im pretty sure the gearing on the Velocita is better than what is on the Giant (Shimano 105) Im not really sure about that so please let me know if Im wrong. I guess there wouldnt be that much of a difference between the two, but if I knew there is a better more quality option then Id rather choose it.

Nath.
Why don't you give Cell a visit, they are on Paramatta rd, Stanmore.

Burn plenty of Glycogen
Frame Size Calculator.....Park Tools Repair Guides
ImageImageImage
training log
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:02 pm

At last - something I know LOTS about!! Thanks Wayno!!

I have a Scott CR1 and it is the best thing I have ridden!! i just haven't ridden all that many :D

Seriously, I bought it cos I fell in love with the look. Took one for a quick 2min test ride and still loved it. When mine arrived, I still loved it. Now, 1200km later, I still love it :roll:

I'm 85kg so a bit heavier than you, but the ride is excellent, build quality is fantastic, hill climbing is great (tho better if it isn't me grinding those pedals), responsiveness is 2nd to none, and the drool factor is high (well, it is with me anyway :lol: ). It also was the perfect fit for me with no changes necessary.

My husband rides a full carbon OCR and I can't stand it. It is sluggish, it doesn't move when you stand on the pedals, yeah sure it is comfy, but so is a hybrid :wink: In saying that, I struggle to keep up with my hubby, so I'm sure the bike is pretty good, it just doesn't "feel" good to me. Of course, he thinks mine has a too agressive style which proves how different we all are. It is only 1kg with pedals heavier than mine so it isn't a weight factor at all.

One thing I will say is that the Scott has a very wide top tube. If you are inclined to pull your knees in towards the top tube when pedalling, you may find you knock it. It took me a couple of weeks to adapt and keep my legs straighter when pedalling.

I have been happy with all the components on Scotty. The Aksium wheels are great and can cope well with mileage, the tyres are Conti's and are excellent, the bar tape is comfy - it is all sweet. I find some brands including Giant (I'm going to get shot down in flames here but is has been my experience - sorry guys) scrimp a bit on some bits to get a better price. I wouldn't ride on the tyres that came with hubby's OCR if you paid me, so that was an additional cost within a few hundred k's.

My bike shop dude had one (the REALLY expensive one) that was destroyed by a car. Obviously he does more riding than me, but reckoned that it was a great bike, but took a bit of getting used to the position. I didn't find that, but came off a hybrid. He swapped to something italian and imported which costs almost a house (Guercotti or something) and didn't find it necessary to adapt to this. Maybe this is the difference with a $13k bike as opposed to an $8k... :shock:

Hope this helps everyone.

Mooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...!!

Just my thoughts, but I would buy another one without a second thought.

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:05 pm

I was waiting for our resident carbon junkie to mooove in :D I heard a rumour that she trawls ebay looking for carbon fibre, personal attire :wink:

Richard
gotta love that enthusiasm :D

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:52 pm

europa wrote:I was waiting for our resident carbon junkie to mooove in :D I heard a rumour that she trawls ebay looking for carbon fibre, personal attire :wink:
:D
I used to...but the Madonna bras just weren't all they were cracked up to be :lol:

Moo...
Anything that doesn't break when I sit on it is a good thing :wink:

bikeboy

Postby bikeboy » Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:10 pm

Mulger bill wrote:G'Day Nath and Wayno, welcome :)

I haven't seen the Trek up close so I can't comment. I'm happy to recommend Giants to anyone that likes their test ride on one. I recently bought a Giant roadie after years of MTB (another Giant) and frankly fell in love with the ride and handling after an hours test. Not to mention how great she looks :wink:

Go testing fellers, there's one out there with your name on it :)

Shaun

Yeah I have to admit Shaun, that really the only reason why I'm liking the Giant apart from it being a great bike, is its awesome looks. So so sexy. About road tests, is there an eticate issue when it comes to this, ie will they crack the sh##ts if you take it out for too long.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:20 pm

moosterbounce wrote:
europa wrote:I was waiting for our resident carbon junkie to mooove in :D I heard a rumour that she trawls ebay looking for carbon fibre, personal attire :wink:
:D
I used to...but the Madonna bras just weren't all they were cracked up to be :lol:

Moo...
Anything that doesn't break when I sit on it is a good thing :wink:
Have you seen those Carbon Fibre coffee cups ?

Burn plenty of Glycogen
ImageImageImage
training log

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:27 pm

bikeboy wrote:Yeah I have to admit Shaun, that really the only reason why I'm liking the Giant apart from it being a great bike, is its awesome looks. So so sexy. About road tests, is there an eticate issue when it comes to this, ie will they crack the sh##ts if you take it out for too long.
Well it wouldn't hurt to leave something as security when you ask, car keys usually go down well.
I'm lucky in that respect, I've got a damn good relationship with Tim at the LBS, I just happened to roll up as he was fitting out the shop, (thinking it was already open :oops: ) and got yarning and helping unpack a few boxes and stuff. Since then, I get mates rates on everything and usually any workshop stuff I can't handle gets priority treatment at almost no charge 8) Maybe the four bikes I've bought there and at least 20 paying customers I've steered through his doors coupled with the Christmas slab I take in helps?

Yes, she's one hot looking lady alright :wink:

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:34 pm

And for the Scott lovers out there who might consider getting dirty...

Now that's carbon.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:02 am

Mulger bill wrote:And for the Scott lovers out there who might consider getting dirty...

Now that's carbon.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

I'd like to see better pics on the rear swingarm mechanism, but that is purdy !!!

I like the name - RANSOM - yiou'd need to kidnap someone and get a decent one to be able to afford it :wink:

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:40 am

A scott carbon lover getting dirty? Not this little black duck!! :lol:

I am totally opposed to anything that may dirty or damage my baby...of course, I am probably the only person in the world who spent $1000 on a mountain bike and within 20km vowed to never ride it again. I stopped riding for 10 years after that experience :( I'm...unique (though some may say strange :wink: ).

Moo...

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:56 pm

What was it about the MTB that turned you away Moo?
Things have changed a lot in MTB since then

Shaun

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:00 pm

Dirt and gearing!! I went from a road bike and really missed the higher gearing (used to do tri's). I suppose also because I spent all my time on the road, I panic when I go on gravel or sand or something slippy. I can't get used to the feel of it.

I'm just one of those people I suppose :? Don't think any less of me...it is like religion...there is something for everyone and they are all "right" :D

Moo...

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:21 am

Real Min and Womin don"t ride clean bikes.

Burn plenty of Glycogen
ImageImageImage
training log

sogood

Postby sogood » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:50 am

mikesbytes wrote:Real Min and Womin don"t ride clean bikes.
Hey... :P
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:02 pm

sogood wrote:
mikesbytes wrote:Real Min and Womin don"t ride clean bikes.
Hey... :P
My bikes been cleaned this morning, it was really dirty after all the wet weather riding. OK, its not perfectly clean, but its ready for this arvo's race.

Burn plenty of Glycogen
ImageImageImage
training log

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:42 pm

moosterbounce wrote:I'm just one of those people I suppose :? Don't think any less of me...it is like religion...there is something for everyone and they are all "right" :D

Moo...
Never! :)
If it's got two wheels and no engine, the pilot is always a mate :lol:
(Don't tell anyone, but I'm having a ball on the rooadie :wink: )

Clean a bike? :? I dust the frame when I do the chain or stuff, is that OK Mr Dredd?

Shaun

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:19 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Clean a bike? :? I dust the frame when I do the chain or stuff, is that OK Mr Dredd?
Thats Judge Dredd to you boy, Judge Jury and Executioner
I have recommended to Cheif Judge Hersley that having a dirty bike sould be considered a serious offence, as they may hide a saftey issue that is overlooked and we wouldn't want you to be hurt. Thats why I requested the death penalty, to make sure you don't hurt yourself.