Tents, Sleeping Mats, and Bags

Leaf T

Re: Tents, Sleeping Mats, and Bags

Postby Leaf T » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:00 pm

Damn. I missed the drop on those Klymit mats. I really liked the extra width. Not sure how long the Exped will hold out before being unusable.

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:45 pm

Leaf T wrote:Damn. I missed the drop on those Klymit mats. I really liked the extra width. Not sure how long the Exped will hold out before being unusable.
Eh? It's still open, will be for another two days.

Klymit Static V Ultra Light Pad
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:22 pm

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:44 am

Another Klymit option via Massdrop, the Klymit Inertia O Zone Ultralight which is ~ AU$92 is now on offer.

zebee

Postby zebee » Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:08 pm

The Klymit static Vs are an odd bod comfort wise. I have 3 and don't like any of them :) I'm a side sleeper and they are like lying on a balance beam. The V shape looks like it should roll you into the middle but does the opposite. If anyone wants a standard or standard insulated or a large non insulated just let me know. $40 for the standards and $60 for the big fella.

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:42 pm

Hi zebee. If it's the wide one I'm interested. I think it's called the deluxe?

zebee

Postby zebee » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:49 pm

Can't recall what it was called. Big non-insulated StaticV. I got it in the hope it would be less balance beam like but the Exped Downmat won in the insulated version and right now the Seat To Summit ones are my go to non insulated.

PM me and I'll measure it up for you.

uad782

Postby uad782 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:54 pm

Hi Everyone,

I am wondering whether I should get a new tent. A few years ago I had my 1994 Macpac Olympus tent replaced under insurance. It has never been used but I am sure it is as good as the old one which has withstood many ferocious winds in the Snowy Mtns. It supposedly weighs around 3kg.

I want a one person freestanding tent that can handle strong winds such as when camping on Great Walk tracks in NZ. I realise the Olympus is not freestanding but it would sure do that.

Options include:
Macpac Minaret - just a smaller and lighter version of the Olympus. Not freestanding. 2.4kg
Hilleberg Soulo -looks fantastic but very expensive. No dodgy specials like from Macpac. 2.4kg
Mont Moondance - 1.6kg - 3 season

I really like the Hilleberg but is it worth the cost? It weights 2.4kg and I can get the Minaret for half the price.

I definitely don't want a tent that uses trekking poles.

Thanks

uad782

Postby uad782 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:55 pm

Hi Everyone,

I am wondering whether I should get a new tent. A few years ago I had my 1994 Macpac Olympus tent replaced under insurance. It has never been used but I am sure it is as good as the old one which has withstood many ferocious winds in the Snowy Mtns. It supposedly weighs around 3kg.

I want a one person freestanding tent that can handle strong winds such as when camping on Great Walk tracks in NZ. I realise the Olympus is not freestanding but it would sure do that.

Options include:
Macpac Minaret - just a smaller and lighter version of the Olympus. Not freestanding. 2.4kg
Hilleberg Soulo -looks fantastic but very expensive. No dodgy specials like from Macpac. 2.4kg
Mont Moondance - 1.6kg - 3 season

I really like the Hilleberg but is it worth the cost? It weights 2.4kg and I can get the Minaret for half the price.

I definitely don't want a tent that uses trekking poles.

Thanks

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:10 pm

I've had a Hilleberg Soulo, but sold it. A great tent, but too heavy and very bulky.

I'd suggest a Tarptent Scarp. Not quite freestanding, but the Moment DW is also a good option.

Not at all freestanding, butI have gone for packabilty with a Protrail for my NZ tours.

Another good freestanding option would be the Wilderness Equipment Dart UL.

I think you would have little difficulty finding a buyer for the Olympus over on bushwalk.com.

Tim

Postby Tim » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:21 pm

uad782 wrote:I really like the Hilleberg but is it worth the cost?
No.
Not at $950.00 (from WildEarth).
I bought mine direct from the States about 5 years ago for half that price. Our dollar was much stronger and I considered it expensive at the time.
I also bought an extra fly a year or two later so I won't be needing a tent for quite some time.
The Soulo is a very well designed and manufactured tent. It's biggest feature for me is the absolute ease, simplicity and speed of pitching. A great advantage after a long tiresome day on the bike.
I still own an old Olympus but from most accounts Macpac's quality has deteriorated in more recent times. There are better tents around.
Ron's recommendations are sound and echoed by members of the Bushwalk forum.

uad782

Postby uad782 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:37 am

Thanks Tim and Ron,

I am heavily leaning towards the Tarptent Scarp with the extra poles. I am still trolling through all the bushwalking forums though. Do you recommend any sellers?

Ron, I did note you had a Moment DW which you sold due to pole length issues for bikepacking.

Ron, I will keep my Olympus but thanks for the advice for where to sell it. I can't bear to part with it.

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:20 am

Yes, the Moment DW (and the Scarp) use integral corner poles which are not readily removed. Its packed length is 19". Since I want to carry my tent in an Anything bag under the downtube it is far too long.

The Protrail had no integral poles and fits easily into an Anything bag or in a handlebar bag for drop bars.

If the tent is carried on a rack then this will not be an issue, but I want to avoid using a rack.

rich1642

Postby rich1642 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:48 am

Tent: MSR Hubba Hubba. It is far too small, but at least it is a foilage green colour.

Mat: Thermarest foam with dimples. Concertinas into a block for transport. I'm ok with this. Great on lawn. !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! on rocky ground.

Sleeping Bag: Macpac Meridian. Great bag but only use it when the temps get around 10 C. Also carry cotton sheet and wool blanket, preferably merino. Ditch the bag in temperate climates and the blanket in the tropics.

Stove: This thing is so good it had to be mentioned. MSR Dragonfly run on 95 or 98 petrol.

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:14 am

rich1642 wrote:Stove: This thing is so good it had to be mentioned. MSR Dragonfly run on 95 or 98 petrol.
As long as you don't mind wearing earmuffs to block out the roaring din.

I'm happy to sell mine if anybody wants one.

tmac100

Postby tmac100 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:13 pm

WRT tents...
I have a Hilleberg Akto. Used it on my Perth-Peterborogh (SA) trip last year and it was very good. A footprint helps. My Nallo-2 GT is a bit too big for solo travel, but has a LOT more room.

FWIW, I used a Hennessy Expedition Hammock on my first 2 trips in Australia but did not use it on my Perth outward trip because of the lack of trees/support structures in a lot of places. Otherwise the hammock has served me well. If I travel my myself on the Cape York trip next July/August I may use the hammock.

WRT stoves ...
Still unsure of which stove to use on the CY trip. By myself I have a choice of SVEA 123 in SIGG cookset, a Whisperlite International or a Dragonfly. A small grill for wood fires is always useful where there is wood. Wood fires also create a nice ambiance - but make sure the sparks don't land on your tent :roll:

LG

Postby LG » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:09 pm

Tent - Recently upgraded from an early 1990s macpac minaret to trying a zempire zeus as a 2 person 3 season hiking/bike touring tent

Sleeping Mat - Still using my early 1990s thermarest which has been absolutely brilliant for many a night

Sleeping Bag - one planet something or other down bag with goretex dryloft cover, late 1990s from memory, stored loose when not in use and many years of life still in it

Stove trangia from same era as above, recently purchased a gas adaptor for use with
LG = Low Gear

uad782

Postby uad782 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:33 pm

I am thinking about getting a new sleeping bag. I like to Marmot Hydrogen and helium bags but they don't seem to want to sell them to Australia :(

So am looking at Mont Helium 450. I wonder if anyone has any comments. Mont stuff used to be pretty good.

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:31 am

uad782 wrote:I like to Marmot Hydrogen and helium bags but they don't seem to want to sell them to Australia :(
I have both of these. Unless you are a cold sleeper I'd recommend the Hydrogen.

There doesn't seem to be much stock available at the moment, but if you have time to wait, Ultralight Outdoor Gear will ship to Australia.

Sorry, I've never tried the Mont.

enduro2

Postby enduro2 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:36 am

Just checked out the new marmot hydrogen. 500g lighter than my first one of these I bought 7 years ago ... but is it really warmer?

My sleep kit has never let me down through storms where some of the best tents have blown over:
Cascade designs matt, 360g (3/4 is all you need)
Western Mountaineering 0C bag 55Og. If I swap up to the -9C its 850g
Ultrasil tarp ~160g
Choice of bivvy: mine is a Outdoor Research Alpine Lite: 800g
Total weight: 1870g (or 2170g with other bag)

Stove (never buy a trangia for hiking/biking ever!): Caldera with 650ml pot and burner, weighs less than 200g. I can burn metho, gas, sticks. Go to trail designs for a selection of titanium stoves and pots.

MacMan

Postby MacMan » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:42 am

I have a two different Trangia sets (large and small) and would only bother carrying either when traveling with my partner. The ease of use makes up for the weight. I've walked with someone who uses a Caldera and it impressed me no end. Assuming you can get a fire lit, the heat kicked out by that design is astonishing. The metho burner looks like trash, but works superbly.

I bought a Firebox Nano which is an interesting design, and can utilise the Trangia burner. However, it's nowhere near as efficient as the Caldera.

I also have a Whisperlite, but use it infrequently. Too much fuss, and like cooking on a nuclear reactor.

rich1642

Postby rich1642 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:55 pm

RonK wrote:
rich1642 wrote:Stove: This thing is so good it had to be mentioned. MSR Dragonfly run on 95 or 98 petrol.
As long as you don't mind wearing earmuffs to block out the roaring din.

I'm happy to sell mine if anybody wants one.
The noise has never bothered me, but I always camp solo. I find it kind of soothing actually.

I might be interested in buying yours. How much use has your Dragonfly had and where are you located?

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:12 pm

Not used much. I took it on the Overland Track. I may have used it a few other times, I really don't recall. It's in Brisbane.

uad782

Postby uad782 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:15 pm

Since this thread has morphed to include cooking gear.....

I wondering why titanium?? Most sites say they only use it to boil water. Then I guess you pour this into your dehydrated meal.

Is this the way to go for UL backpacking these days? Saves on washing up I suppose. I used to like cooking pasta in the Trangia including adding the sauce. It was fun washing up in the snow when ski touring (not).

Trevtassie

Postby Trevtassie » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:21 pm

I'm a big fan of teflon pots and pans, but... you need to look after them, which just means putting a piece of cloth between them when you put them away.

Like the Dragonfly, despite the noise, because it has the best simmer of any liquid fired stove. Also helps to break the ice conversationally, after you strike up conversations apologising for the noise.

I managed to score a couple of North Face Campforter sleeping bags. Sort of a weird hybrid thingy, zips to pieces and suchlike, not too bulky, ideal for a long tour over various climate ranges... No good for winter, but good to go for everything else.

Sleeping Mat = Exped Downmat mmmm comfort...

Tent = Alps Mountaineering cheapy from the US...Room to swing a cat or two, without being heavy, and with a footprint so it can be externally pitched.