Parramatta river cycle way

Bunged Knee

Re: Parramatta river cycle way

Postby Bunged Knee » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:55 pm

thomas1987 wrote:
Bunged Knee wrote:^^^ I know about that spot. There's a mention of it in this thread,pages back.

Your idea of DIY. Well then, you do it. :)
Yeah, it was me that mentioned it lol. Anyway, I have reported to council. Let's hope they do something about it.
Thanks for reporting it. Don`t know if they will fix it.

The spot is in Pike St entry and Council might be a piker in not to fix it. :)

ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:41 pm

Had a look in Subacio Creek for survey markers and saw only 3 of them.

Last edited by Bunged Knee on Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:49 pm

And rode up to Parramatta to see what did they do to Bill Brewer bridge last Wednesday. What the? Only had to place the 10 new planks.

Is that all,Parramatta Council? What a cheap skate is it? :)

tez001

Postby tez001 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:20 pm

I'm sure some of the panels have been replaced before, so the closure was for only a couple of the boards.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:26 pm

& it took them 4.5 hours to replace those handful of boards - the bridge would be out of action for a month if they tried to replace them all :roll:

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:22 pm

I don`t think that council will replace all the timber planks but only the damaged ones.

Maybe by the time the Subiaco Creek boardwalk opens sometimes after mid-next year depending on weather permitting and this bridge won`t be used a lot.

Gaswork ped bridge are the worst bumpy ride for a few metres and nothing had been remedied yet.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:25 am

I was looking at Google maps trying to figure out the bike path route to Parramatta Lakes (due to the typo in the article).

It looks like it might be doable once the path goes into Parramatta Park as there's a creek that heads kinda north from the eastern side of Parra park. Not sure if its navigable all the way or if there's a quiet street to help the connection.

Anyway looking long term, what is involved to connect to the bike path that follows the Tway towards Windsor? Perhaps that would be priority once (if) the Parramatta river cycle way is completed
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

thomashouseman

Postby thomashouseman » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:40 am

mikesbytes wrote:I was looking at Google maps trying to figure out the bike path route to Parramatta Lakes (due to the typo in the article).

It looks like it might be doable once the path goes into Parramatta Park as there's a creek that heads kinda north from the eastern side of Parra park. Not sure if its navigable all the way or if there's a quiet street to help the connection.

I'm pretty sure the Lake Parramatta spillway creek drains into the river at Parramatta Park. The creek though is a big concrete drain most of the way... (You drive over it when going to Parramatta Bunnings) and it goes under Church Street too... It would be pretty hard to convert most of it into a bike path.

caneye

Postby caneye » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:29 am

parramatta to windsor
i think the below route between parramatta park to Windsor Rd T-way (via Westmead) is probably the cleanest option (posted on another thread here).

https://goo.gl/maps/DxXVRxJBXAu

Parramatta Park to Lake Parramatta
- i have a particular commuting route i often take
- continue on PVC after church street & riverside theatre
- go pass the parramatta swimming pool
- go straight (instead of turning left to parramatta park) to Pirtek stadium (~200m gravel path)
- pass through the Parramatta Leagues carpark to Northcott Lane
- Grose St - Northcott Lane - Fennel Street - Fleet Street - Newt St - Dunlop St
- pass by Cumberland hospital and Parramatta prison
- rejoin o'connell St at the new roundabout
- continue to Board St until it rejoins Church Street

The access to Lake Parramatta is via Bourke St. Either cut across 4 lanes of traffic to Bourke St (eeks!) or make a loop at the traffic lights at Chuch St - North Rocks Rd intersection (in front of Bunnings) to return to Bourke St .

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:02 am

Doesn't sound like a goer to Parramatta Lake, if there's no side land, then the cost would be too high to justify within current cycling infrastructure budgets.

The Parramatta Park to Hawkesbury route looks OK. It looks like its mainly quiet back streets to connect between the two. The path along Old Windsor rd looks good apart from the annoying bit of having to descend to ped lights and climb back up while the Tway goes straight over

thomashouseman

Postby thomashouseman » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:11 am

mikesbytes wrote: apart from the annoying bit of having to descend to ped lights and climb back up while the Tway goes straight over
Cheat and go under the bridge to the right, keep your eye out and you'll see the path before the ped lights. Sure beats the climb up to the t-way again on the left.

T.

Bourney

Postby Bourney » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:04 am

Bunged Knee wrote:And rode up to Parramatta to see what did they do to Bill Brewer bridge last Wednesday. What the? Only had to place the 10 new planks.

Is that all,Parramatta Council? What a cheap skate is it? :)

I rode over the bridge yesterday, for the first time in a few weeks, and actually thought it felt a lot smoother than before.

I wonder if they've done some other works to flatten it out. So maybe they did more than we are giving them credit for.

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:55 pm

I never thought there was any problem with the Bill Brewer bridge, it never seemed that rough. Gasworks bridge on the other hand is an absolute shocker and makes your fillings fall out.
13 LynskeyR230 01 Lemond BuenosAires

thomas1987

Postby thomas1987 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:07 pm

Hergest wrote:I never thought there was any problem with the Bill Brewer bridge, it never seemed that rough. Gasworks bridge on the other hand is an absolute shocker and makes your fillings fall out.
You live in Guildford? You should be familiar with this shocking one
https://www.google.com.au/maps/(AT)-33.857 ... 312!8i6656

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:56 pm

thomas1987 wrote:
Hergest wrote:I never thought there was any problem with the Bill Brewer bridge, it never seemed that rough. Gasworks bridge on the other hand is an absolute shocker and makes your fillings fall out.
If you manage to dodge the many exposed heads of nails that bridge isn't too bad. The nails are real tyre rippers though. We all hoped 2 or 3 years ago that a new bridge was being put in but it just ended up as some horribly expensive way of carrying electric cables over the railway line.
13 LynskeyR230 01 Lemond BuenosAires

recumbenteer

Postby recumbenteer » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:39 am

Hergest wrote:
thomas1987 wrote:
If you manage to dodge the many exposed heads of nails that bridge isn't too bad. The nails are real tyre rippers though. We all hoped 2 or 3 years ago that a new bridge was being put in but it just ended up as some horribly expensive way of carrying electric cables over the railway line.
My favourite bridge ... just like all of Sydney's cycling infrastructure....it's more "interesting" when you have three wheel tracks to navigate over/around/through obstacles...
Trisled Rotovelo Mk 2
Rotovelo Across Australia

caneye

Postby caneye » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:42 am

Bourney wrote:
Bunged Knee wrote:
I rode over the bridge yesterday, for the first time in a few weeks, and actually thought it felt a lot smoother than before.

I wonder if they've done some other works to flatten it out. So maybe they did more than we are giving them credit for.

same thing. i rode it yesterday and really thought it felt a lot smoother. and this was on my 23mm tyres (instead of my normal commuting 28mm) ..

Bourney

Postby Bourney » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:52 pm

Glad to know it wasn't just me going insane :)

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:05 pm

Bunged Knee wrote:
thomas1987 wrote:
Bunged Knee wrote:^^^ I know about that spot. There's a mention of it in this thread,pages back.

Your idea of DIY. Well then, you do it. :)
Yeah, it was me that mentioned it lol. Anyway, I have reported to council. Let's hope they do something about it.
Thanks for reporting it. Don`t know if they will fix it.

The spot is in Pike St entry and Council might be a piker in not to fix it. :)

Rode into Pike St today and found out that someone had put the timber to cover the bump sometimes ago. Looks like it was worn due to cars driving over to park behind the buildings. It`s a temporary fix by someone and not from lazy council.

thomas1987

Postby thomas1987 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:39 pm

I went pass that today. Doesn't look safe to be honest. Disappointing that the council has done nothing, haven't even heard back from them.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:35 am

The piece of wood doesn't look like it was put there by the council, probably another cyclist spotted it nearby and plonked it there

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:42 am

Seems to be splintering from what I've seen riding over it. Could be a puncture risk in the future.

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:31 pm

Someone had removed it and put it out onto the grass next to entry/exit.
No pic and it looked broken up in the middle, might be from truck. Why not put bitumen in there temporary???
Rode up to George Kendall park and seen repairs been made with bitumen over disjointed path and divots.
No pics as I`ve left the Fly12 off.

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:41 pm

I had a look in Subiaco Creek dead end for any works. It had been bulldozed and level up and it`s a work in progress.

So when it will be open then it will eliminate the South street traffic next year. Only have to go via Bill Brewer bridge.

Don`t know of when the construction will start over the creek to Uni.

thomashouseman

Postby thomashouseman » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:05 pm

WooHoo! I hate South St!