Clicking noise when riding...

rothsa

Clicking noise when riding...

Postby rothsa » Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:44 am

Hi all,
I recently bought an entry level road bike (Potenza Strada) with full Sora running gear. I'm not expecting it to last a lifetime, but after only a week its making a clicking sound with every revolution of the pedal. It happens with the right pedal when its at the top and does this whether I'm sitting or standing. I googled the problem and got to a forum with a similar question, where they suggested tightening the crank bolt. It didn't help...Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Lark2004

Postby Lark2004 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:08 am

It could be a lack of grease on your Bottom Bracket parts.......

or

It could be a problem with a pedal......

Since the bike is only week old, I would be taking it back to where you bought it from, and getting them to sort it out.....
Andrew

fatherofmany
Location: Central Coast NSW Australia 33°26'16"S 151°20'39.50"E ish

Postby fatherofmany » Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:21 pm

My 'suspension' seat post creaks similarly when I'm seated (sometimes) which is annoying. Thinking of changing to a solid post to avoid it and the slight bounce when climbing hills.

Or it could be the front derailleur hitting if the chainwheel is slightly out, be taking it back to the shop.. you can ride it on their stand so they can diagnose the prob and fix it for you
15 Bikes 2 adults 6 children, 2 dogs, 10 chooks and a heck of a lot of fish

Nate

Postby Nate » Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:22 pm

when you change gears its still at the high point?
does sound like crank if its the case...

how about when you lean right back on it?
had a similar symptom with loose spokes! cause the weight shift momentarily put a little extra load on em, but the sound was spokes & not a creak etc.

RobS

Postby RobS » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:28 am

A silly one is when the end of the front derailleur cable hits the crank.

flanderflop

Postby flanderflop » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:55 am

I would suspect that this is simply cable stretch. Probably what is happening is that as the cable stretched, the front derailleur moved inward just a hair and is now rubbing on the chain. This will be more pronounced when your right (drive side) pedal is starting down because the pressure will flex the chainring out slightly causing the chain to rub on the derailleur more than at other places in the pedal stroke.

I could be wrong, but most shops do give you a free tune up to take care of cable stretch issues, and it sounds like it is about time.

If I am wrong, then they will be able to figgure out what it is when they look at it.

rothsa

Postby rothsa » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:00 pm

Hey everyone. Thanks for the replies- that was quick! I doubt its the front derailleur though, since it only clicks once and does it in almost every gear. Also I don’t have a suspension seat post, and it doesn’t sound like its coming from the seat. I’ll take everyone’s advice and take it back to the bike shop. Hopefully its cable stretch – I can’t wait to take it for a long ride but I want to get rid of this sound first in case its serious.

Bruce

Postby Bruce » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:17 pm

rothsa wrote:Hey everyone. Thanks for the replies- that was quick! I doubt its the front derailleur though, since it only clicks once and does it in almost every gear. Also I don’t have a suspension seat post, and it doesn’t sound like its coming from the seat. I’ll take everyone’s advice and take it back to the bike shop. Hopefully its cable stretch – I can’t wait to take it for a long ride but I want to get rid of this sound first in case its serious.
check the front derailer cable end isnt too long- hitting crank arm

azzurribike

Postby azzurribike » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:12 pm

If you recently rode in the rain it could be water in the BB? After Riding in the rain I remove seat post and store bike upside down overnight.