Apollophiles - The Apollo Appreciation Thread

Padre

Re: Apollophiles - The Apollo Appreciation Thread

Postby Padre » Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:15 pm

I've an Apollo V in very good nic though not sure if rims are spec.
Kashimax suede saddle and 600 group,
Will try to post a photo..

Bird

Postby Bird » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:44 pm

apollo95 wrote:I thought I would share with you all my pride and joy its my 1995 Apollo Kosciusko. :P

I purchased this bike in 1995 for somewhere around $400-500.
Over the years I have replaced derailleurs and shifters, but its an awesome bike and I've never come across one on the net the same as mine. The paint colour scheme is just beautiful .
Here are the pics of it!
So happens I have 2 of these at home in the same colours :)

1 I bought new in around same time as you did, which is in need of a FULL rebuild, so gives me something to do, but I've found chasing bits a little bit hard...

Any clues in Melb where to find old school parts would be appreciated.. :) Mainly I need a pair of wheels for it, the rest I can hopefully resurrect...

The other I bought for bits, but its way too nice for that... It is in great condition, E-nasty auction site score for $80... The only thing I'd like to do is convert wheels to Quick release so I can fit in the car.

hugemutha

Apollo 1 - Specifications Required

Postby hugemutha » Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:49 pm

Just picked up an '85 Apollo 1 which I want to restore for L'Eroica next year. The bike has some surface rust and the chrome needs redoing but for the most part it seems okay.
I think the original shifters have been replaced with indexed units and the rear brake calliper is mounted on the wrong side of the brake bridge (unless this is standard?)
Where can I find specs on this bike?
[url]https://goo.gl/photos/umX7h32wcbCsur1o9/url]

Hagar

Postby Hagar » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:48 am

Before and after on my latest resto, this one for my wife. Original Suntour 18 speed & Dia-Compe gear, fresh powdercoat and new generic deep V rims on Qando hubs. Not happy with the bar tape, plain white vinyl to come.

websteg

Postby websteg » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:52 pm

Padre wrote:I've an Apollo V in very good nic though not sure if rims are spec.
Kashimax suede saddle and 600 group,
Will try to post a photo..
This isn't the one you sold me weekend just gone? How do I post a pic on here...The forum tools are very old-school.

beano-joe

Postby beano-joe » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:31 pm

Hello thread, can anyone please help me positively identify this Apollo?

new project bike

Shimano Golden Arrow Group

Kashimax seat

rogerrabbit

Postby rogerrabbit » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:12 pm

I have just bought this Apollo V frameset and will pick it up tomorrow Image

The serial number is MBL3102 but I wonder if the B is an 8 making it 1978. The aero shifter mount dates it about 1982 but with that fork crown, nutted brakes and long dropouts I would have thought the frame was a bit earlier. I wonder if the frame was old stock and was updated with the shifter mount, painted and sold in 1982/83.

Has anyone seen an Apollo V with these features before?

websteg

Postby websteg » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:25 pm

beano-joe wrote:Hello thread, can anyone please help me positively identify this Apollo?

new project bike

Shimano Golden Arrow Group

Kashimax seat

Message sent, check your messages.

koshari

Postby koshari » Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:42 pm

Bird wrote:
apollo95 wrote:I thought I would share with you all my pride and joy its my 1995 Apollo Kosciusko. :P

I purchased this bike in 1995 for somewhere around $400-500.
Over the years I have replaced derailleurs and shifters, but its an awesome bike and I've never come across one on the net the same as mine. The paint colour scheme is just beautiful .
Here are the pics of it!
So happens I have 2 of these at home in the same colours :)

1 I bought new in around same time as you did, which is in need of a FULL rebuild, so gives me something to do, but I've found chasing bits a little bit hard...

Any clues in Melb where to find old school parts would be appreciated.. :) Mainly I need a pair of wheels for it, the rest I can hopefully resurrect...

The other I bought for bits, but its way too nice for that... It is in great condition, E-nasty auction site score for $80... The only thing I'd like to do is convert wheels to Quick release so I can fit in the car.

The backup auction bike looks nice. Changing that rear wheel to quick release is pretty cheap and relatively straight forward. Just get an axle set and some skewers for around 10 bucks. Can provide links if you like.
I Just picked up a himalaya without wheels for 10 bucks. It will be getting A lick of paint and the cantis replaced with tektro mini Vs so i can keep the nice integrated brifters. It will also be hosting a e-bike rear wheel . As the missus wants the giant back to standard.

Bird

Postby Bird » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:08 am

Bird wrote:So happens I have 2 of these at home in the same colours :)

Well I've spent a few nights in the shed, with the old bike that was looking very sad...
The handle grips had actually turned to Jelly.. I had to slice then shave off the rest!

So after many discussions with a mate on another forum... and a good deed many many years ago being repaid by someone here - a donor bike and bits from a not so random bloke on here - that it turns out about 8+ years ago on another travel/camping forum, I offered to let him stay at our joint, I didn't remember him, but he remembered me warthog1 - the bike started to come together..

So far all I've replaced is the wheels/tyres and cable inners.. Paint handle bars and gooseneck, lubed everything well
Still a few things to paint and touch up...
- chain to replace
- rear gear cable that freyed to shiznit while threading the new one through tonight :(
- a derailleur to remember how to adjust, but all gears work after stripping down the shifters with some great advice from the dudes at Casey cycles (went in to buy new shifters and they told me how to repair mine :) )
- grips to fit, but didn't have any hairspray at home

Also need to find some decent barends, since my left arm doesn't straighten out anymore, hanging on can be a bit of a mission
something like these might help me, specially with the fingers they sewed back on that don't cross properly :(.

I'd like to have reused the original hub/rims but the spokes are corroded to shizzle, I could polish the heck out of rims and hubs - but most places want a billionty kg's of gold to lace new spokes up to em :( I've never laced a wheel (although my boss did try and teach me once decades ago) it and all I can picture is a rim that looks like an egg :( I did think of tryin to rebuild it 1 spoke at a time (cut one, replace it etc.. ??? but wouldn't be able to polish easily that way either. )

Anyway back to the shed tomorrow :)

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:23 pm

My old GEFSCO died the other day after a crack formed a 1\3 of the way round the down tube, the lower headtube lug was filed to a point which caused a stress riser, so it was going to happen eventually.

As I needed a roadie frame I pulled the old Apollo V frame off the hook, I was going to rebuild it with the original Suntour Superbe parts, and threw my mixed bag of Campagnolo parts on it.

Its not to bad of a frame to ride. A little more twitchy than the GEFSCO. I don't think it climbs as well as the GEFSCO either, I am putting it down to the slightly heavier gauge tubing which doesn't flex as nicely. The Apollo V uses Tange Champion 2 whilst the GEFSCO is Tange Champion 1.

The Apollo weighs in at 10.1 kg as seen in the piccie, about 1/2 kg heavier than the slightly larger GEFSCO. Obviously the heavier gauge tubing adds up but so too does the chroming under the paint and the extra cable guides

xx68

Postby xx68 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:29 am

That is a pretty bike !
Looks fantastic !!
I rebuilt one with nos parts and have been riding it about - they do roll nicely , I'm using it as a gravel grinder , cx wannabe .

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:03 pm

xx68 wrote:That is a pretty bike !
Looks fantastic !!
I rebuilt one with nos parts and have been riding it about - they do roll nicely , I'm using it as a gravel grinder , cx wannabe .
Cheers. It turned out pretty well. I feel bad that it's not running the original Suntour Superbe components but I needed a roadie and this was the only frame I had that fit alright. The fit is not the classic "Merckx " fit I prefer but it is bang on for that suggested by Lemond in the eighties and doesn't seem to bad. I'm doing 120km on Thursday so we'll see how it goes.

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:14 am

Awesome to see the usual high standard Mr SSS. 8)

Are they 27" tyres, or 700c gumwalls?

slidetaker

Postby slidetaker » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:09 pm

Is that a barrel adjustment mount on the down tube shifter boss?

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:00 pm

rkelsen wrote:Awesome to see the usual high standard Mr SSS. 8)

Are they 27" tyres, or 700c gumwalls?
Thanks mate. The tyres are 700c Vittoria SC 25mm.
slidetaker wrote:Is that a barrel adjustment mount on the down tube shifter boss?
Yes they are Campagnolo Record barrel adjusters

NotSpeedyGonzales

Postby NotSpeedyGonzales » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:36 pm

Sorry to be a pain in the ... fellas. But could any of you help identifying this? I'm tempted to buy it.
-Kyle

"If I had the money, I'd have the time" Meanwhile, I'll just pretend.

websteg

Postby websteg » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:35 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:My old GEFSCO died the other day after a crack formed a 1\3 of the way round the down tube, the lower headtube lug was filed to a point which caused a stress riser, so it was going to happen eventually.

As I needed a roadie frame I pulled the old Apollo V frame off the hook, I was going to rebuild it with the original Suntour Superbe parts, and threw my mixed bag of Campagnolo parts on it.

Its not to bad of a frame to ride. A little more twitchy than the GEFSCO. I don't think it climbs as well as the GEFSCO either, I am putting it down to the slightly heavier gauge tubing which doesn't flex as nicely. The Apollo V uses Tange Champion 2 whilst the GEFSCO is Tange Champion 1.

The Apollo weighs in at 10.1 kg as seen in the piccie, about 1/2 kg heavier than the slightly larger GEFSCO. Obviously the heavier gauge tubing adds up but so too does the chroming under the paint and the extra cable guides

This is interesting - to my knowledge, the V was spec'd with Shimano 600 - the VI had the Superbe Pro. Ive never seen a V with Suntour original spec. How sure are you it had Suntour? Also, all the V's I've seen were was Ishiwata tubing not Tange. This is my guess - yours is an earlier year model? Im guessing Apollo, before they created the VI, had the V spec'd up with Suntour - then they created the VI and bumped the Suntour to the VI and 600 for the V. The Ishiwata tubing may have come in latter. Can you let me know the year model (stamped on the frame above the BB, non drive side)? Most intriguing. Also, if you want to sell it, Id be keen. Cheers, nice bike.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:23 pm

Date of manufacture was 1981. The tips are Suntour Superbe Pro. All components where Suntour Superbe. It even has a Suntour Superbe sticker on the down tube.

websteg

Postby websteg » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:57 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:Date of manufacture was 1981. The tips are Suntour Superbe Pro. All components where Suntour Superbe. It even has a Suntour Superbe sticker on the down tube.
Super interesting. Yours 1981, my V is 1985 or 86, I forget, its at home. It looks similar to yours - gold frame, black graphics etc. Somewhere between 81 and 85, they must have decided to go with Ishiwata frames and 600 groupset. Maybe when they introduced the VI, this occurred. Super nice bike. Post some more pics if you can. I think I cant post pics until I hit 10 posts, then Im ok - I will post some up also. As I said, if you grow tired of it, let me know. Im going to ride mine at Noosa this year. Or rather, race the !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! out of it. Nice one mate.

TonyMax

Postby TonyMax » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:42 pm

Is this kind of stuff welcome in here? It's a new to me 2012 Attain.

Specs here: http://www.apollobikes.com/bikes12/time ... tri/attain

I'm happy to be critiqued on both the bike and the photo.

Cheers,

Tony.

Bird

Postby Bird » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:56 am

TonyMax wrote:Is this kind of stuff welcome in here? It's a new to me 2012 Attain.

Specs here: http://www.apollobikes.com/bikes12/time ... tri/attain

Cheers,

Tony.
nice looking unit.. looks fast just sittin still :)

websteg

Postby websteg » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:29 pm

Cheers,

Tony.[/quote]nice looking unit.. looks fast just sittin still :)[/quote]

Looks good to me! I have a few modern Apollo's, to go with my older stuff. I hope to add a TT bike to the collection this year.

apollonius

Postby apollonius » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:57 am

Have just finished a rebuild of an Apollo Himalaya that I bought new back in 1986. It was cosmetically in bad shape but most of the original components were able to be rescued or replaced with very close copies. I use it as an occasional road bike so changed MTB tyres for something smoother and softer to ride. Its makes a very nice mount for a Sunday morning spin.

Bird

Postby Bird » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:35 pm

apollonius wrote:Have just finished a rebuild of an Apollo Himalaya that I bought new back in 1986. It was cosmetically in bad shape but most of the original components were able to be rescued or replaced with very close copies. I use it as an occasional road bike so changed MTB tyres for something smoother and softer to ride. Its makes a very nice mount for a Sunday morning spin.

Nice work :)