Hi

Delta G

Hi

Postby Delta G » Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:41 pm

I've been reading this forum for the last couple of weeks. Thanks to all the contributors as I've found it very informative.

I'm planning on buying my first ever bike tomorrow. (I've only ever had hand me downs). I went to the LBS last week and picked it out. This week I've felt like a kid waiting for christmas. :)

Initially riding was going to be part of an overall fitness campaign for my other sports but having read various posts it sounds like a good sport to get into, so I thought I'd make myself known to the forum just in case i do become addicted. :D

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:49 pm

What would be even better is to join a local ride club, whether racing or just social. But you'll find that there's more drive to ride harder in a racing club and you'll get fitter faster.

PS. You don't have to race just because you are a member of a racing club.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:50 pm

Hi Delta,

Welcome to the forum.

What sports are you in to?

Burn plenty of Glycogen
Frame Size Calculator.....Park Tools Repair Guides
ImageImageImage
training log
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Delta G

Postby Delta G » Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:54 pm

During winter it's hockey and summer its cricket and indoor hockey. Then there's also squash with my mates. Played footy(AFL) last year but will just be a water boy this year. Also played golf but had to stop due to other sporting committments.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:00 pm

G'Day Delta, welcome :)

What bike are you getting?

Addiction? The fact you're posting here is probably the first sign of addiction :lol:

Anything the members can help you with, just ask, this is the best of many cycling forums about, IMO, and I should know master, I've followed a few :wink:

Shaun

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:05 pm

Hey Delta.

Where are you based? Provided you play hockey for Mods (if in perth) or Marist (if in Bunbury), you are welcome :D :D :D Hee hee hee...

In all seriousness, welcome aboard.

So...what are you buying?!

Moo...

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:30 pm

Be warned that bikes use different muscles to running and you may not be as bike fit as you think you are. My son plays club soccer and is as fit as a mallee bull. He started riding to school, a ride that includes a couple of nasty climbs, and came up with very tight calf muscles on his second day :wink:

But you're right. It's a fun sport and great for the cardio system. No, you don't have to be in a club nor do you have to fall for the 'it's all about training' mindset, just get out there and enjoy the bike and the ride. However, if you're into the club scene, club riding is a great way to do it.

Richard

Delta G

Postby Delta G » Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:22 pm

Thanks for the welcome.
What bike are you getting?

Addiction? The fact you're posting here is probably the first sign of addiction
I'm getting the Trek 1000. Just rode it home from the bike store. I can see the addiction. They are fast :D. There were a couple of downhills that were fun and fast (for me) without even pedalling. Once i get the confidence up they will be extremely fun :D .
Be warned that bikes use different muscles to running and you may not be as bike fit as you think you are. My son plays club soccer and is as fit as a mallee bull. He started riding to school, a ride that includes a couple of nasty climbs, and came up with very tight calf muscles on his second day

But you're right. It's a fun sport and great for the cardio system. No, you don't have to be in a club nor do you have to fall for the 'it's all about training' mindset, just get out there and enjoy the bike and the ride. However, if you're into the club scene, club riding is a great way to do it.
Your definately right (though i was under no illusions that i was that fit)

The ride home from the shop was mostly uphill. It's 15 km and took me about an hour, on the positive though i didn't have to stop. It's the first time i've ridden in probably a year. I spent most of the time in the easiest gear so i have a lot of room for improvement.

I'm planning on slowly easing into it, but i may end up in a club one day.
Where are you based? Provided you play hockey for Mods (if in perth) or Marist (if in Bunbury), you are welcome Hee hee hee...
Currently I'm in the city however i'm from the hills (which is where i rode today). I play for the might CT Pirates :D :D :D

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:30 pm

If clubs are your scene, get into one now. In a good club, you don't have to be super fit or have a top line bike. Many clubs have purely recreational riders, a lot of slow riders and rides to suit both. So, if you like clubs, hunt for one that suits you now. If, on the other hand, you're past the !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! that goes on within clubs of any sort (hang on, did my cynicism show there?), there's nothing wrong with riding solo or with mates. Your state bike organisation will have regular rides too and they can be a fun way of riding with a group of like minded idiots.

Richard

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:35 pm

Trek 1000 is a good bike, bit sportier than the entry level Giants, good value. You'll want a $6,000 one in no time. ;)

Make sure to set aside some money for good cycling clothes, the further and faster you go, the less comfortable regular clothes are. Did you get a bike computer yet?

Getting on to a group ride is good fun too, you can go faster with other people to chase (and draft).

Delta G

Postby Delta G » Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:03 pm

Trek 1000 is a good bike, bit sportier than the entry level Giants, good value. You'll want a $6,000 one in no time.

Make sure to set aside some money for good cycling clothes, the further and faster you go, the less comfortable regular clothes are. Did you get a bike computer yet?

Getting on to a group ride is good fun too, you can go faster with other people to chase (and draft).
I was deciding between the Trek and the Giant. I went for the Trek as the LBS was a lot better than the LBS that sold the giant.

About a third of the way through the ride home I decide that i will be getting a pair of bike shorts a lot sooner than I previously thought. :lol:

I haven't got a computer yet. It's on my list of things to get.

The LBS has a group ride on Saturday mornings. Once my fitness has improved I may join it, I have hockey on the same day so I may end up very sore otherwise. :)

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:15 pm

It'll take a few rides to develop a bit of personal toughness for road saddles, it's an odd way to sit at first. Good bike shorts help immensely, especially for bunching and chafing effects. But you have to wear them with no underpants, or they do next to nothing!

As long as you're sitting with your weight on your sit bones, not on the nose of the saddle, it will become comfortable pretty quickly.

A proper cycling jersey is also good, for wicking off your sweat, and for the back pockets to stick your stuff in.

Computer is great as you can watch your average speed climb as you get better. When I first started cycling again, I was doing 6km rides at about 16km/h, now I'm doing 30-50 at 23km/h (with many hills).

Halfanewb

Postby Halfanewb » Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:25 pm

Spend a few extra pennies delta and get a computer with a cadence sensor. I was lucky and the guy at the lbs took the time to teach me about the importance of cadence when i started getting back into cycling.

Happy trails :)

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:03 pm

Trek 1000, looks pretty good :)
Don't worry about times or average speeds for now, just get out lots with your quick new girl and have fun :wink:
Imanewbie wrote:Spend a few extra pennies delta and get a computer with a cadence sensor. I was lucky and the guy at the lbs took the time to teach me about the importance of cadence when i started getting back into cycling.
X2.