Campagnolo compatible tools

uMP2k

Campagnolo compatible tools

Postby uMP2k » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:14 pm

I am just about at the stage of swapping over all the gear off my Aluminium frame and onto my old (but much loved) Steelie.

Now, this is something I have done many times in the past, but (and this is the rub) not since I have become a Campagnolo convert! Rather than paying a bike shop $150 to do the job for me I am thinking that it is about time I bought some campag compatible tools and that leads to my questions :D

Firstly, I am thinking that the main campag compatible things I will need are a bottom bracket tool and a crank extractor. As far as I can see (and as I am not removing the cluster) everthing else should work fine with standard tools. Does this sound right?

Secondly, any ideas for a source for such tools. Should I just fork out what ever it takes at an LBS - if I can find one with campag compatible tools - or is there somewhere online I can get them.

Any ideas/comments welcome.

Stephen

gclark8

Postby gclark8 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:29 pm

I did a full rebuild on a Campagnolo equiped bike last week.
No new tools needed. 8)
Cheers,
George.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:37 pm

Depending on the bottom bracket, the suitable BB tool would probably be about all you'll need. A good crank extractor should work on any BB/crank combo. If you're not messing with the cassette/cluster, you shouldnt need anything else. And Campy made many of their bottom bracket and cassette lockrings THE SAME (what genius though of that!) so you only needed one tool for both anyway.

Jim

uMP2k

Postby uMP2k » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:51 pm

MMMMM - like the sound of this.

I am begining to see how my weekend might be spent!

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:13 pm

Campy has different BB tool requirements for different models in their range, so it's important to find out which model is your BB. Once known, the cheapest (that I found) was to mail order from eBay. There are many US eBay stores that carry these. Not too expensive but not cheap enough if you only want to use it once or twice.

If you are using Campy's Ultra-Torque crankset, then that'll likely to require a lot more investment to get suitable tools for it. Firstly, it needs the BB cup tool, which fortunately is readily available and cross compatible with Shimano setup. Then there's the 10mm allen key. As the bolt is deeply seated, you'll have a fun time looking for one that is long enough, and one that can give you sufficient leverage to achieve the required torque. That was an expensive buy for me. If you go the original Campy tool option, then it'll be even more costly. :wink:
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

uMP2k

Postby uMP2k » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:26 pm

sogood wrote: ...If you are using Campy's Ultra-Torque crankset, then that'll likely to require a lot more investment to get suitable tools for it...
Fortunately, my BB is a Chorus square taper type. So I am hoping that it should not be too expensive to get the required tool. If worse comes to worse I might just swap everything else over and get the LBS to do that part.

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:30 pm

uMP2k wrote:Fortunately, my BB is a Chorus square taper type. So I am hoping that it should not be too expensive to get the required tool. If worse comes to worse I might just swap everything else over and get the LBS to do that part.
eBay would be your friend. :wink:
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

gclark8

Postby gclark8 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:53 pm

If you get stuck, bring the frame over... I'm at Bassendean... :wink:
Cheers,
George.

uMP2k

Postby uMP2k » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:43 pm

gclark8 wrote:If you get stuck, bring the frame over... I'm at Bassendean... :wink:
Careful - I might just take you up on that. I am in Kenwick, which is just a quick tootle down tonkin hwy/Guildford Rd....

Stephen

gclark8

Postby gclark8 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:43 am

uMP2k wrote:
gclark8 wrote:If you get stuck, bring the frame over... I'm at Bassendean... :wink:
Careful - I might just take you up on that. I am in Kenwick, which is just a quick tootle down Tonkin Hwy/Guildford Rd....
Shackleton St, my st.... you are more than welcome! :D
Cheers,
George.