1952 Hobbs 'Blue Riband': the next iteration

Clydesdale Scot

1952 Hobbs 'Blue Riband': the next iteration

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:31 pm

Boxing Day:
"...The employers would give each servant a box to take home containing gifts, bonuses and sometimes leftover food."

I am self-employed. So it is up to me to give myself a gift. (My family also took it upon themselves to also provide wonderful gifts as well)
Today was the day to unbox it.

The finished frame was bought from forum member rogerrabbit. Roger has wonderfully described the history of the frame and its return to splendour.1952 Hobbs Blue Riband - History. It was offered for sale by Roger and it suited my needs.

The excellent standard of the frame finish was wonderfully protected by the careful packing, including spacers for the front and rear dropouts.

Much of the work has been done. It is only up to me to source the components.
The Sturmey Archer ASC hub will be used and it will be built in the form of a 1952 time-trial bike.
Last edited by Clydesdale Scot on Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Clydesdale Scot

Re: 1952 Hobbs 'Blue Riband': the next iteration

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:38 pm

The components are reasonably standard
GB Hiduminium 'Standard' levers and calipers recently purchased
They will soon get some attention.
from the spares boxes:
  • GB Maes bars.
    Williams chainset.
    I might try a Major Taylor adjustable stem
    alloy rims (undrilled, so I will need to drill 32/40H)
    a Resilion front hub
    for the saddle, I will modify and recover a Brooks frame I have.
Mario recently sold me a bottom bracket so that will be used.
Last edited by Clydesdale Scot on Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:40 pm

Good pickup.

I'll be watching this thread with great interest! 8)

7VEN

Postby 7VEN » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:59 pm

Looking forward to seeing this come together Phillip.
I'm a proud Wellingtonian (but live in London) and a collector of all things Hobbs so the history of this bike is extra relevant to me peppered with placenames that I know. Wonder if it was ever ridden up the Ngauranga gorge? Kudos if so!
Looking forward to seeing this coming together.

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:35 am

Peter (7VEN) attention to getting it right makes my efforts look reckless.
His ever growing collection of Hobbs of Barbican frames and Lytaloy components (made by Hobbs) is wonderfully documented at
https://www.lfgss.com/conversations/229926/

Don't get in the way of Peter when he sees a Lytaloy component up for sale.

stayer

Postby stayer » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:54 am

I read with interest of your Hobbs of Barbican Blue Ribband.
I have also recently aquired a 1949 Blue Ribband frame number
A 92105 the 9 indicating 1949 according to Classic Lightweights.
It also came my way via New Zealand to Perth.
I have Harden hubs Brooks seat GB Bars and stem so have all the period parts for rebuild when re painted.
Alan Johnson
Perth

stayer

Postby stayer » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:15 pm

Of course the X in your frames number indicates that it was made as an export model and sold to an overseas buyer,very rare.

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:31 pm

Alan, welcome to the small Hobbs of Barbican Owners Club.
I already have a 1946 Raceweight

Please document your build, with the photos and the story that goes with it.
And read the thread on Peter's bikes in London. Lots there to enjoy and learn from.

and the V-CC has a catalogue from 1950, so it will give you an idea of the components available.

Philip

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:03 pm

Such a lovely frame

stayer

Postby stayer » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:14 pm

Thank you for the welcome.
I will post some pictures when I can figure out how to post them on this site.

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Sun May 21, 2017 4:03 pm

Still collecting parts, but I just might raid the spare parts boxes to get this mobile.
Fitted the Tecalemit lubrication nipple to the bottom bracket which arrived in the post from Britain last week; fitted the GB Spearpoint stem which arrived from Germany during the week. The GB Maes bars are left over from past projects.
Yesterday I polished up and serviced the GB Hiduminium 'Standard' levers and calipers. They will get the reproduction Shockstop 'honking rubbers'.

This afternoon I dusted down a set of 700 wheels I had built back in 2009, and noted the Pasela tyres still had the molding tags evident. As the GB calipers had a wide range of adjustment, the pads (when installed) will reach the 700 rims until I get the long term 27" wheels built.
I will get some bottom bracket bearings and that will allow the bottom bracket to go in and the Williams chainset from the spares box to be installed as a temporary measure whilst I work on another project. I need to recover another Brooks saddle frame.

now to mow the lawn.
Last edited by Clydesdale Scot on Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

7VEN

Postby 7VEN » Tue May 23, 2017 6:25 am

Looking good. What brand are the rims you're planning to drill?

stayer

Postby stayer » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:07 pm

Clydesdale Scot wrote:Still collecting parts, but I just might raid the spare parts boxes to get this mobile.
Fitted the Tecalemit lubrication nipple to the bottom bracket which arrived in the post from Britain last week; fitted the GB Spearpoint stem which arrived from Germany during the week. The GB Maes bars are left over from past projects.
Yesterday I polished up and serviced the GB Hiduminium 'Standard' levers and calipers. They will get the reproduction Shockstop 'honking rubbers'.

This afternoon I dusted down a set of 700 wheels I had built back in 2009, and noted the Pasela tyres still had the molding tags evident. As the GB calipers had a wide range of adjustment, the pads (when installed) will reach the 700 rims until I get the long term 27" wheels built.
I will get some bottom bracket bearings and that will allow the bottom bracket to go in and the Williams chainset from the spares box to be installed as a temporary measure whilst I work on another project. I need to recover another Brooks saddle frame.

now to mow the lawn.
Hi would love to send you some pictures of my 1949 Hobbs when I get it back from the painter in the next couple of weeks,however I am a bit challenged with this software and have no idea of how to post pictures,can you help.Stayer

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:44 pm

time to restart this project

plenty for a few saddles.

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:47 pm

when you get a hen's teeth hub it is problematic when you need a spare part.
The indicator rod in the ASC hub has a very fine thread.
Which can break.
Too easily

After about 6 months of searching, and chasing even the slightest and most obscure leads one looked more promising.
But then it was a matter of the owner having time to find it, as he had more pressing deadlines.
And who was I to try to push him.
With all the patience I could muster, and with monthly and ever so gentle requests, it was found.
And paid for....
then the wait for the post from Britain.

So now to chase up the last bits.
Koolstop pads are on their way from USA.
I need to polish up some GB Superhoods and GB Coureur callipers (and at some stage get a GB Coureur calliper arm to replace the GB Sports arm there at the moment.
Rims and hubs are off at the moment to get measured for spokes, then to try to find some 15/17 gauge spokes for the wheel build.

The saddle has been made, Swallowesque in style. I will hold off treating it with Proofide for the time being. I am going to try to dampen the leather, then take it for a ride to see if I can make an impression with my sit bones on the damp leather. If this happens then it will get the Proofide treatment.
If it doesn't work I have some challenging rides ahead.

I have the GB Spearpoint stem and GB Maes handlebars (yes, just like on the Spearman and the EA Boult) and I will just use a Williams chainset.
I had better check through my box to see what else I have accumulated, and what I need to get.
I have a Terry watch clip for this, as well as a Smiths watch, and a ping bell; both desirables for a time trialling bike of the early 1950s.

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:56 pm

This is a wonderful project based on that beautiful and big frame. You have a clear picture of what you want to achieve and it is coming along nicely. I look forward to your finished bike as it will be something quite special.

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:52 am

spa day for the brakes
initial soak in kero to degrease,

Imagespa day by philip.knight, on Flickr

then a warm bath and some ultrasonic cleaning.
then fully dismantle clean, polish, install the fibre washers, lubricate and reassemble with a swap around of some of the caliper parts.
New Koolstop pads to insert.

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:56 am

and the saddle recover I finished months ago
Imagesaddle for Blue Riband by philip.knight, on Flickr

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:39 pm

The slow food of bicycle restorations :-)
The pace of this project is right in line with the activity levels in my garage. As ever I'm looking forward to the final iteration!

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:38 pm

Robert,
More shed time today. No rush on this one. I just enjoy the time when the opportunity presents.

The Coureur calipers and the Superhood levers cleaned up well. Some small parts are soaking in Evaporust overnight.
I also installed the saddle support. Last weekend I made up some fittings for this. Looks good to my eye.
And played with the VW dual bottle cage I had replated a few years ago. I am debating whether to get new extension springs for the closures and currently searching for the closest. It may be E0180-025-1000 This bottle cage is one of the less common makes and Speedplay has a single handlebar version in the files.
With the installation of the dual bottle cage, I will not seek to recreate a brass headtube Blue Riband badge. There will be ample decoration in the front end and not all Blue Riband frames had them when new.

I contacted your wheel builder Adrian, and he is going to post over some Australian made Velocity Aero 27" 32/40h rims, the same as you used. I can then get the spoke length remeasured and an order placed for the 15/17 spokes from the UK. This way I can be reasonably confident that the rims are less likely to fail and place undue sudden pressure on the hub shell.
I have been recommended to use some M3 brass washers under the spoke heads for the rear hub. This is to distribute the load on the thin wall alloy hub. So I will need to get some from United Fasteners.

And the renewed activity has allowed me to find the brass adjusters for the GB Standard levers. Alan (Stayer) was needing some. I sent the image and dimensions to him to machine up a set. I admire those with machining skills and I look forward to his results.

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:36 pm

Image52hobbssaddlesupport by philip.knight, on Flickr
Image52hobbs brakeclean by philip.knight, on Flickr
No polishing was done on the brake calipers.
Degrease, ultrasonic cleaning, aluminium cleaner for the aluminium parts which were then rubbed with a cloth, oxalic acid and Evaporust for the steel parts.
Wheels are still the 700 placeholders, 27" will be the finished wheel size.
The Koolstop pads will be 'pinched up' before they see service.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:52 pm

like..
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:16 am

I've nowhere near your resto expertise. Nice pics of the saddle supports & brakes.
I understand the need for washers to distribute the load, but brass washers for a thin section alloy hub? Doesn't this risk galvanic corrosion? Perhaps aluminium washers?

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:01 am

twowheels wrote:I understand the need for washers to distribute the load, but brass washers for a thin section alloy hub? Doesn't this risk galvanic corrosion? Perhaps aluminium washers?
good point.
Whilst I will be only riding it in dry weather, and it is stored inside, it might be prudent to use either aluminium or even steel (not stainless) as they are more compatible.

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:20 am

Alum in contact with steel, the alum would be preferably corroded. If brass were desired as an aesthetic contrast perhaps a thin aluminium sacrificial washer between the hub & brass washer. Don't want to see your meticulous work damaged.