Tyres, shot or not?

lemmiwinks

Tyres, shot or not?

Postby lemmiwinks » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:20 am

On the weekend I was fortunate enough to be given a Shogun Samurai road bike by a mate who had been given it by his neighbour who decided he didn't like riding drop bars. It doesn't seem to have been ridden in a while and the sidewalls of the tyres are a bit perished. Have they had it or will they be ok? I run my other Shogun which is fitted with Michelin Speedium 2's at about 110psi so I inflated these to 100psi and rode to the end of the street and back ok, but obviously I don't want them to let go suddenly especially when Torpedo7 has Maxxis detonator's on special for $17 this week.

Front:

Rear:

"...for many people your life is not worth the effort it takes to pay attention or the extra few seconds they may need to wait before they can safely get around you."-BikeSnobNYC

Nate

Postby Nate » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:55 am

rear looks iffy...

but at $35 all round... its a no brainer considering the potential consequence of an accident!
I'd get newies

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:09 am

Shot*

* = enough not to worry about spending $40 on a new set of tyres when you got the bike for nix.

Matt_Matt

Postby Matt_Matt » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:12 am

Replace both IMHO

Matt

lemmiwinks

Postby lemmiwinks » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:30 am

Good point. When it comes down to it, I'd always rather buy a new tyre than risk having an accident 'cause of an iffy old tyre.

Been looking for an excuse to put together a Torpedo7 order anyway :D
"...for many people your life is not worth the effort it takes to pay attention or the extra few seconds they may need to wait before they can safely get around you."-BikeSnobNYC