MTB pedals

GT

MTB pedals

Postby GT » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:58 am

Hi everyone,

I've just got myself a new Giant Alias, and after reading many posts on this forum have decided to look into getting a set of clipless pedals and shoes, as I'm current using a set of platform pedals that came with the bike. This will be my first pair of clipless pedals, so any info you recommend is greatly appreciated.

Most of my riding would be on roads, but I also like to go out on the trails and do some XC too. One thing I would like to be able to do (if possible) is to be able to use normal running shoes with the pedals if I wanted to ride over to a friend's place. This wouldn't be a long distance - <3km.

I did some research, and I looked at some DH pedals, like the Shimano M545 and Crank Bros Mallet. They are clipless pedals and they also have a platform that can be used without clipping in. I'm not sure if I can/should use these pedals with normal shoes over short distances. What are your thoughts on this?

As I'm not really going to be doing any downhill, would is be a safer option for myself going for something like the Shimano M520, or Crank Bros egg beaters/candy?

As I'm completely new to clipless pedals, are there any other pedals worth considering?

Cheers.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:27 pm

G'day GT,

Welcome to the forum.

I'm biased, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

I love Eggbeeaters - got them on three of my four bikes. I had Candies on one bike, but the platform just got in the way of clipping in quickly, so I sold them to someone who could appreciate them.

I say get the Eggbeaters and take a second pair of shoes to your mate's place to change into. The other thing you could do is simply swap the pedals over to the old ones when you want to ride to your mate's house. But once you've gone clipless, you won't want to do that very often ... ;)

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

sittingbison

Postby sittingbison » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:20 pm

for such a small trip, can't you just pedal in the runners? Not perfect but hey, the cycling shoes and expensive pedals are riding specific, where you will get the most benefit most of the time
I have a cunning plan, as cunning as a fox who's just been appointed Professor of Cunning at Oxford University

Deanj

Postby Deanj » Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:47 pm

I like eggbeaters also but its very much personnel preference. I wouldn't worry about using trainers with them for 3kms, I ride mine some times in trainers, its not ideal but if your not going far and in no rush its not really a problem.

GT

Postby GT » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:28 pm

Thanks for your advice guys.

I've considered it a bit more, and I realise that 98% of the kms I do will be serious riding, and so I probably shouldn't compromise the pedals just to be able to use normal shoes for those small rides.

Now as for choosing which pedals, the eggbeaters certainly seem to be a heavy favourite on these forums, and I'm sure for good reason. How do you think they compare to the equivalent pedal in the Shimano range? I think the equivalent is the M520.

Also, which version of the eggbeater is worth getting?

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:41 am

How do they compare? I've used both types, and I will not be going back to Shimano. That should say enough.

I've got two pairs of Eggbeater SL pedals and one of Eggbeater C. The C version has spindles made of carbon steel, while the SL has stainless steel spindles. There is no difference in the functionality or weight of these two versions.

Buy a spare set of cleats about three months after you buy the pedals. The cleats wear out fairly quickly. I prefer the premium cleats for their adjustability.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:03 am

I run XT pedals and I love them..never had any probs with them...but never tried egg beaters so can't really say :roll:

black4tress

Postby black4tress » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:37 am

I have a set of m520's with MT31 shoes, prob one of the most basic setups and I don't have any complains at all apart from paying almost double what Cell has them for - if you can get them in your size.

Never tried Eggbeaters but see them quite regularly on the trails and haven't heard any bad things from them either.

http://www.this link is broken/p_1739_SHIM ... _Hand_Sale

btw - I've got an Alias also - great bikes.

tc
[Centurion LeMans Single Speed] [BMC Fourstroke FS03]

sittingbison

Postby sittingbison » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:47 am

I use Time ATAC carbon pedals, mine are the older yellow ones though. These are renowned for performing in all conditions (mud etc). Mind you the Crank Bros look very tasty.
I have a cunning plan, as cunning as a fox who's just been appointed Professor of Cunning at Oxford University

senator52

Postby senator52 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:55 am

Ive got 520's and theyve been fine with me. Never had a problem.

Edit: Cheap too :wink:

tomness

Postby tomness » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:44 pm

I've used numerous Shimano pedals. Currently have the 520's and the 540's on my bikes. I think the 540's are great. Never had any problems. No issues yet with cleats wearing. We don't really have to worry about mud shedding here in Perth though, which I understand is a big benefit of the eggbeaters.

I haven't used eggbeaters, but I have heard both good and bad reports of them.

The shimano pedals have a bigger pedal area than the eggbeaters. I ride with normal shoes sometimes, and whilst not the best it is certainly do-able.

GT

Postby GT » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:31 pm

Again, thanks for your help.

From some of the research I've done, it seems there are some people who have had good or bad experiences with crank bros and shimano. I'll just have to put those unfortunate experiences down as bad luck and hope that they don't happen to me (being a little naive here).

At this stage I'm probably leaning towards the Shimano m540 or even the Shimano m770 (saw a good price online). One of the factors for this is that they are a flatter pedal than the egg beaters, and for the odd occasion that I ride with normal shoes they should suffice for short distances.

Anyways, in a few weeks when I have some free time I will have hopefully made a decision and invest in a set. I'll let you know how it goes.

318ute

Postby 318ute » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:39 am

GT,
I bought shoes and pedals from my LBS about six weeks ago and went on their recomendation of 540 shimano pedals, and no problems thus far.
As for shoes buy with comfort as your no1 criteria which depending on your feet may cost a bit more than you expect but they are doing a heap of work....once you get them you won't go back!

Steve.

ozlegacy

Postby ozlegacy » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:48 am

toolonglegs wrote:I run XT pedals and I love them..never had any probs with them...but never tried egg beaters so can't really say :roll:
ditto :D
Been affected by cancer? Know somebody who has been? Read about what I am doing about it http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 12&t=37465

glawrence2000

Postby glawrence2000 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:16 pm

I've got 520s on both of my rides and they take an absolute pounding as I am quite unco. They haven't missed a beat and have only just replaced the cleats on my MT31 boots after 6000Ks so not to shabby for the money noting; they're a pretty basic setup.
Let us know what you go with.

btw I bought mine on ebay and saved a bunch on what the scalpers in Sydney bike shops charge.
Thanks heaps.
BMC 4Stroke 03. (web nazis won't let me put a third picture up :()
Voodoo Dambala 29er.
FELT AR4 Carbon.

ForkinGreat

Postby ForkinGreat » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:23 am

I've got M520s on the MTB and M540s on the road bike. Only need one pair of shoes! 8) Both have been fine. no problems at all.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:49 pm

I have M520s on both my hardtail commuter and my dually trail bike. Nice and secure, good mud-shedding, easy to get out of yet no unintended clip-outs.

The latter is quite important. I've had unintended clipouts at speed over mildly rough stuff previously with other pedals :x :shock: If it had been more technical the results would have been a bit more inconvenient than a trip home to change out of the nicks I'd just browned. :oops: ... probably a white van and red flashing lights would have been involved.

Just today with the M520s I avoided an OTB (too much front brake on a poor line choice) with an instant unclip. So from a functionality point of view I'm really happy with my M520s and can only say "what's not to like". I'd only change to go up a grade or two in the Shimano line to shave some weight.

Oh, and they're quite strong, too. I'd ground one out over a rock or log probably once a ride or so.

Unko

Postby Unko » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:38 pm

sittingbison wrote:for such a small trip, can't you just pedal in the runners? Not perfect but hey, the cycling shoes and expensive pedals are riding specific, where you will get the most benefit most of the time
tring to ride down hill or any where u cant put much pressure on the pedal, its hurts a bit other wise. In the wet my feet fall off because there is no grip on them. the platform and clip pedal are anoying besuse when u have your rideing shoes on u have to look at the pedal to c if its up the right way.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Single-sideds are the worst of both worlds for that reason - you never know which side will be up without looking, at precisely hte moment you need to be scanning what;s in front of yoru front wheel.

I have a set of flats that are a 30-second swap-in if I need them. I haven't used them yet.

supros88

Postby supros88 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:19 pm

If you are new to clipless what about a set of Crank Brothers Mallet?

That way you get a pedal platform which will make it easier to clip in and also if you are uncliped you still have something to stand on as opposed to a egg beater model.

Just a thought.

waynohh

Postby waynohh » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:19 am

I've got shimano m520. You can pick them up for between $50 and $60. Before you clip in, turn each screw on the pedals 10 turns each so they're fairly easy to clip out of.

raoultittel

Postby raoultittel » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:14 am

If you are new to clipless what about a set of Crank Brothers Mallet?

That way you get a pedal platform which will make it easier to clip in and also if you are uncliped you still have something to stand on as opposed to a egg beater model.

Just a thought.
I've got a pair and they work well and you can pedal using normal shoes or clipless. You do feel a little pressure where the egg beater thingy is (when using normal shoes), but it's minimal.

Just a word of advice, make sure you use loktite on the face plate screws as one of mine came loose and fell out and I'm having a hard time getting a replacement.

You could always use those casual clipless shoes too, then you will always have better pedalling efficiency when you need it, and they are easier to walk in.

Good luck.

supros88

Postby supros88 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:00 pm

I have a set of Shimano SH-MP66 shoes that I use with Mallets for some DH races because they are as close to a flat shoe as you can get while still being clipless.

Getoutandride

Re: MTB pedals

Postby Getoutandride » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:00 pm

im using eggbeaters and love them!

pooja84

Re: MTB pedals

Postby pooja84 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:45 pm

My favourite is Eggbeaters. You may try it out and I am sure you will like it.