What place it that? A forum game for touring cyclists...

BenGr

Re: What place it that? A forum game for touring cyclists...

Postby BenGr » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:05 pm

WarrenH wrote:Thank you Ben. How did your time compare summiting Pikes Peak to the hill climbers, that give Pikes Peak it's fame? From a standing start of course ... rolling starts are too easy?

Warren.
I might have got around the first corner... Riding it gives a much better understanding of how nuts the drivers are.

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:49 am

I do know where that is Wazza - but only because you have posted a similar picture elsewhere, so I won't answer unless nobody else can guess.

So you better give them a clue or two.

BTW, why is the shed so tall?
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:38 pm

Ron, Ahah. Last week you identified my shot of Crookneck and Beerwah from Ngungun ... you know where the shot above was, so I think you should take the win. I remember now, that I posted a similar shot to this one a while back ... but I included a solar charger in the shot. Well remembered Sir. Your go Mate.

My shot above was taken at the Crookwell Showground, in the Upper Lachlan Shire, when I camped there a couple of winters ago, while heading North on the BNT. The giant wool store was being restored. The restorers still had to reinstall the windows and shutters. I'm guessing that it was that high so that it could take a hoist for loading wagons and trucks.

Likewise, well remembered too Uncle Just. Although your post appears to have gone. In the past I had a tracker on my posted photographs and it was amazing where some pics ended up, particularly my wildlife photographs ... on German cooking blogs and Chinese travel blogs, on other peoples' original photo sites, among 30 other blogs each month.

Warren.
"But on steep descending...Larson TT have bad effect on the mind of a rider" - MadRider from Suji, Korea 2001.

"Paved roads ... another fine example of wasteful government spending." - a bumper sticker.

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:37 pm

WarrenH wrote:I remember now, that I posted a similar shot to this one a while back ... but I included a solar charger in the shot. Well remembered Sir. Your go Mate.
hehe - actually it was this one - in the rain.

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:50 pm

Ok, back to the South Island, New Zealand.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:40 am

Well, time perhaps for a (slightly cryptic) clue.

The name of the lake in the Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring will help you find the location.

WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:56 pm

Ron, G'day. Mavora Lakes? ... then there was another, Lake Wakatipu.

Warren.
"But on steep descending...Larson TT have bad effect on the mind of a rider" - MadRider from Suji, Korea 2001.

"Paved roads ... another fine example of wasteful government spending." - a bumper sticker.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:34 pm

The lake in Fellowship of the Ring is Nen Hithoel.

Search for it in Google Maps and you will find the location is indeed Mavora Lakes.

The picture shows North Mavora Lake. The top-to-bottom Te Araroa Track runs along the lakeside.

At the head of the lake, the Mavora Walkway leads to the Greenstone Track, which is often walked in conjunction with the Routeburn Track as a circuit walk.

WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:15 am

Cheers Ron.

WPIT or where is my bike ... in New South Wales.

Warren.

WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:04 pm

Here is a clue.

Some elect that when $u$$an Ley, makes a profit from her whimsical investment properties, gaining another $, this can form the anagram $ly Anu$$e$, which is totally in keeping with her party ... do you get my drift?

Warren.
Last edited by WarrenH on Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:26 pm

Well, my first thought was that it's the Murray River. Your cryptic clue doesn't change that. Probably at Albury.

WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:52 pm

Ron spot on.

$u$$an Ley'$ electorate is the Fedral seat of Farrer and her office is in Albury. Drifting in the Murray River through Noriel Park is a popular pastime for Alburyans. Hopefully $u$$an will have plenty of time to contemplate her drifting, in her near future.

Your go Mate.

Warren.

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:05 am

Still in EnZed

Large Image

VeloGiro

Postby VeloGiro » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:40 pm

OK - I'll have a go here...It was raining cats and dogs and completely shrouded in cloud when I (potentially) rode this?

Could this be leaving the Canterbury Plains heading east from Christchurch towards Arthurs Pass? This is how i imagined this landscape to look!

Oh and to boot this was the only time i have ridden in NZ* I hired a bike in Christchurch...rode it to Arthurs Pass. Spent the night there and rode back...OK so its a long shot!

*I was also in Dunedin for a conference in 2014, hired a bike and tackled Baldwin st, which is reputed to be the steepest residential street in the world :D
Last edited by VeloGiro on Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:48 pm

Warm. It is on the way to Arthurs Pass.

To narrow it down a bit, what is the name of the lake?

VeloGiro

Postby VeloGiro » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:56 pm

RonK wrote:Warm. It is on the way to Arthurs Pass.

But...but...it was shrouded in cloud and i got awfully close even getting the road to Arthur's Pass more or less correct. I know your a hard task master Ron K but in the interest of keeping this thing going how about a life-line? I have an image waiting to go :)

WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:03 pm

G'day Ron. Lake Pearson?

After reading a few journals on crazyguy' this evening, that had posts on Arthur's Pass, Lake Pearson was the only lake mentioned, in any of the journals. So, fingers crossed.

Warren.

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:34 pm

VeloGiro wrote:
RonK wrote:Warm. It is on the way to Arthurs Pass.

But...but...it was shrouded in cloud and i got awfully close even getting the road to Arthur's Pass more or less correct. I know your a hard task master Ron K but in the interest of keeping this thing going how about a life-line? I have an image waiting to go :)
Hehe - well I would have given you a lifeline since I wasn't explicit about what I wanted named.

But the dastardly Wazza posted the correct answer before I saw your appeal.

So I'll have to give the win to him.

But don't give up - we want to see your picture too.

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:42 pm

WarrenH wrote:After reading a few journals on crazyguy' this evening, that had posts on Arthur's Pass, Lake Pearson was the only lake mentioned, in any of the journals. So, fingers crossed.
Yes, it is Lake Pearson, although Lake Lyndon is the first lake encountered, shortly after crossing Porter's Pass.

Click for a Doarama visualisation of the route. You can even see where I stopped to take the picture shortly after leaving my overnight stop at Flock Hill Station.

It's some of the most stunning scenery I've ever ridden through - so lots of stops to look and take pictures, and a nice long lunch overlooking the river.

WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:20 pm

Ron, thank you Mate.

VeloGiro, as per rule 'C', I'm posting a forfeit. So anyone can post now.

Warren.

VeloGiro

Postby VeloGiro » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:12 am

Thanks Warren and Ron K!

These trees a long way from the Brigalow Belt in Qld...This image is located in regional Victoria...

Cheers VeloGiro

WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:00 pm

VeloGiro. G'day.

I will guess Swan Hill? Swan Hill has several varieties of Boabs/Bottle Trees.

More specifically, if your image is post Feb' 2014? ... these trees might be some of the relocated Boabs, placed in either McCrae, McCallum or Campbell streets.

Warren.

VeloGiro

Postby VeloGiro » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:29 pm

WarrenH wrote:VeloGiro. G'day.

I will guess Swan Hill? Swan Hill has several varieties of Boabs/Bottle Trees.

More specifically, if your image is post Feb' 2014? ... these trees might be some of the relocated Boabs, placed in either McCrae, McCallum or Campbell streets.

Warren.

Hey Warren - really good guess - there are indeed some lovely bottle trees in Swan Hill! But...these are not they...

This copse of trees is much further south - growing at an entrance to one of Victoria's great regional botanic gardens...

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:37 pm

I have never been there, or seen the trees, but I have seen the Arid garden at Cranborne on the ABC's Gardening Australia program some I'm guessing that it's a likely place to plant bottle trees.

VeloGiro

Postby VeloGiro » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:23 am

RonK wrote:I have never been there, or seen the trees, but I have seen the Arid garden at Cranborne on the ABC's Gardening Australia program some I'm guessing that it's a likely place to plant bottle trees.
Hey Ron K that's a ripper of a suggestion - there are magnificent stands of Bottle trees at the Cranbourne Gardens (BTW that where i work! you could have seen my head on the Gardening Australia program). So the Cranbourne Gardens is a great suggestion but still not right... :?

This garden is about an hours drive from Melb - and has bay views...Image

Here is another view...