Super Elliott Records

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:39 pm

This thread is awesome,Keep it coming guys :wink:

silverlight

Postby silverlight » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:13 pm

One of Keith Thurgoods many achievements,
fastest time adelaide to Port Pirie, september 1938
bike shown has a major taylor stem and nickel plated round badge on front of frame.

5 Star Rolf

Keith 'Ajax' Thurgood on his Elliott 'Nickel Badged'

Postby 5 Star Rolf » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:01 pm

Keith 'Ajax' Thurgood, a brilliant sprinter on his Elliott, note the same badge as in SL's previous post,: nickel 'E' with Elliott Brothers, Rundle Street, Adelaide text. Cycles of this era...mid 1930's...were then written as Elliotts after 'Elliott Bros.' and later, post war with the 'Super Elliotts' script and block lettering styles.
Also note the chrome or nickel rims with coloured central line to match his full chromed/nickeled frame!
Many people did not realise that Keith had a condition known as Alopecia, - total hair loss from his whole body. When I spoke with Keith several years prior to his passing, he told fond stories of road racing and sprints and the fun he had with his mates playing pranks. He also recalled the 'lads' would return to his place in Payneham where they would train on his home made wooden rollers in his shed. His were the best rollers he exclaimed as he had made them so the tops of the rollers were set at ground level, the rest were set in concrete below ground...

Cheers, 5*R :wink: .

silverlight

Postby silverlight » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:07 pm

thats fantastic to share, thanks 5*R
heres an AD from 1938 with that pose from the last image

5 Star Rolf

Whitehorn...Champion...

Postby 5 Star Rolf » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:28 pm

Deane Whitehorn when riding for Victoria. Photo is possibly early 1940's.
Note Elliotts special with whisped 'E' on head tube, these types of fancy head lugs were only cut by Tom Robinson. These are the most sought after of any Elliotts cycle. Tom was also a prolific cyclist.

5 Star Rolf

Phil Thomas Autographed, 1937.

Postby 5 Star Rolf » Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:12 pm

I was very fortunate to meet with Phil in his retirement home at Norwood, ( close by the site of the old Norwood velodrome ), we discussed his many years of success and his love of the sport of cycling. He was always interested in all and various cyclists achievements and collected newspaper clippings of any such news, particularly those of Elliotts riders. He kept all his photos and clippings in albums. He allowed me to photocopy many of thes and gave this card which he personally signed for me in pencil as it would last longer.
In his later years he was to work at Super Elliotts and I recalled meeting him when I was a youth at the Rundle store... then not actually knowing of his remarkable prior achievements.

Flip side of card reads:
"Phil Thomas is the only Amateur rider in South Australia riding from scratch mark in track races. Phil won the South Australian Junior Road Championship in 1932 and since then has won numerous handicapevents on the track. During 1935 he won the 3 Mile (grass track), 1/2 Mile , and 1 Mile South Australian Championship, and gained 5 fastest times in Amateur Open Road Races. Some of his latest successes are: Scratch Races at Mildura )Vic), fourth time in succession, Renmark and Goolwa (SA); the 5 mile, 1000 Metre Sprint, and 1000 Metre Time Trial, South Australian Championships; 1/2 Mile Handicap D.T.N.S. Carnival, Port Adelaide (SA), 1936;and fastest time 10 Mile Open Road Race, 16th April, 1936. Phil has won in all 15 State Championships.
Super Elliott B.S.A. Cycles from Elliott Bros. Ltd.
Pirie street and 147 Rundle Street. Ask your local agent for particulars.

Cheers, 5*R :wink:

silverlight

Deane Toseland Cycle Shop

Postby silverlight » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:56 pm

Heres an Ad from Deane Toseland's cycle shop that he opened up in North Adelaide,
His own branded cycles remain as some of the best i have seen,

silverlight

Postby silverlight » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:23 pm

Deane Whitehorn State All round Champion 1948/49

and Deane Toseland training fro the 49 Warrnambool race,

5 Star Rolf

John Law

Postby 5 Star Rolf » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:49 pm

John Law, Elite cyclist and Australian Champion...commenced cycling competitively in 1948 at the age of 18 years and in 1949 won the First and Fastest Open Road race in Adelaide at Hanson Reserve which kicked off his incredible cycling career...to name just a few highlights...4000M Australian Teams Pursuit Championship, Perth 1951, Adelaide 1952, ...Selected to represent Australia at the Helsinki Olympics with the Cycling Team in 1951 however due to the lack of funds raised by other riders his opportunity was dissapointingly hampered,...Rode 3rd in the first 6 Day Tour of Vic, 1952,...First South Australian to win the 1953 Australian Road 125 Mile (200KM) Championship (in Perth),...First in the Sunday Mail Tour of 1953,...Australian 4000M Individual Pursuit Champion,...Won the 1956 South Australian 1000M Track/Sprint Championship at Norwood, Adelaide,...Tranferred from Elliotts to Malvern Star in 1955 for the Road Season...and many , many, more...

What a brilliant, remarkable career...Hats Off to John Law.

Last edited by 5 Star Rolf on Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

silverlight

Postby silverlight » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:32 pm

Heres a selection of great Super Elliott riders, Deane and Ron Whitehorn, Jim Nestor, John Law and Harry Tams.
Each rider carried many records in their time,
Deane can be seen on a fancy SE special whisped "E" frame with nice long stem.
From 1947-48 Deane Whitehorn had won 67 races in 6 months which had included the Australian and Victorian 4000m pursuit.

531db

Postby 531db » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:46 pm

silverlight wrote:Heres a selection of great Super Elliott riders, Deane and Ron Whitehorn, Jim Nestor, John Law and Harry Tams.
Each rider carried many records in their time,
Deane can be seen on a fancy SE special whisped "E" frame with nice long stem.
From 1947-48 Deane Whitehorn had won 67 races in 6 months which had included the Australian and Victorian 4000m pursuit.

Harry Tams, I believe is still getting around as an official with the Australian and Victorian Veteran Cycling Councils' (AVCC and VVCC).

5 Star Rolf

"The Big Race"

Postby 5 Star Rolf » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:42 pm

"The Big Race"

Appears to be a juniors/open road race from scratch, early 1930's with a variety young cyclists, trainers, brothers and fathers...and all sorts of cycle makes at the ready.

Careful spotting sees Fred Adams at far left, Colin Gilbert in first V neck, Malcolm McGowin at his shoulder and Phil Thomas with round cap in centre.

Most cycles are Elliotts...yet also spot the only Malvern Star 2 Star with wing nuts at the second to the right of Phil.

silverlight

Postby silverlight » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:51 pm

Heres an ad from the 30's, it shows the Rundle Street Store,
Roadster Bike shows the Nickel Elliotts Bros badge which was replaced by the "E". You can see by the number of stores that Super Elliott cycles were in high demand.
Still operating today at the same rundle street address.

5 Star Rolf

Elliotts Riders

Postby 5 Star Rolf » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:38 pm

The riders from the Golden era...Tommy Robby, Gordon 'Pud' Brooks and Syd Grivell...to name a few.
Pud still rode last year but has had to give it up now, ...a fabulous cycling lifestyle considering this document records his win at Port Pirie of the 3/4 Mile Championship of SA in 1928!

Pud has always been most helpful to me and those that know him, his knowledge and dedication to cycling is terrific and well respected by all, from young and rising cyclists to well experienced vets in SA. ~ Thanks Pud!

Cheers, 5*R :wink:.

5 Star Rolf

Ho Ho Ho...

Postby 5 Star Rolf » Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:05 pm

~The card says it all...A Merry Christmas from 1938~

Ride Safe, Cheers, 5*R :wink:

Verbs & Nouns

Postby Verbs & Nouns » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:31 pm

I wish Super Elliotts were still good.
Ten Grand wrote:Goddamnit baby, this is soul... What's wrong with you?

silverlight

Re: Super Elliott Records

Postby silverlight » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:57 pm

For those in Adelaide, check out the front window of the Super Elliott store in Rundle St. they have a some original wall photo frames hanging up of riders back in the 50's.
These may have been there a while now but just came across them this morning, nice detail on bikes can be seen, There is one with 2 Super Elliotts and 2 Healings
The Super Elliott specials bikes can be clearly seen. I didnt take note of the riders but ill see if i can get a picture up soon.

Have they suddenly noticed the spike of interest of the yesteryear???
For such a great and long tradition of history, the shop staff dont care a ##$$% for the vintage scene.

overthehill

Postby overthehill » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:37 pm

I agree - went in there yesterday, just to see what they have. Retro/vintage - nothing really.

Some fantastic photos and info guys, keep it coming!
Rapha Continental

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:22 am

when you were in the store did you talk to the staff? Did you let them know what you were looking for/would like them to stock?
If there is enough interest from customers they might build up that part of the business, but they will only know when we engage in some communication.
At least we should thank them for the display.
I know one of the newer members of the staff, and I referred him to this forum topic when he started at Super Elliot. When I next speak to Bernie I will ask if the wonderful material on this forum has prompted the current display.

overthehill

Postby overthehill » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:07 am

Yep, asked about pedals for a single speed retro build. Its always a good idea to ask. One you never know what a LBS has out the back and two - exactly your point. They do have the bowery and fuji.

Isn't there a shop in Adelaide somewhere that has retro/fixed gear, well, gear?
Rapha Continental

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:58 pm

overthehill wrote:
Isn't there a shop in Adelaide somewhere that has retro/fixed gear, well, gear?

Go and speak to Kim at Nth Adelaide Cycles in melbourne st.
He is a track friendly guy and seems to always have some sort of fixed gear bike in store or be building repairing one.

5 Star Rolf

Postby 5 Star Rolf » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:12 pm

...Great guy that Kim...just for the record...

Ride safe, cheers, 5*R :wink: .

gemm

Postby gemm » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:31 pm

FYI, Just this week Gordon 'Pud' Brooks has received an OAM for his services to cycling. Good on ya Pud!
Pud still attends most of Port Adelaide Cycling Club's races, and teases the riders he knows as they collect their race numbers.
Cheers
Gemm
www.pacc.org.au

silverlight

Postby silverlight » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:28 am

hi all
Around the first quarter of the year in the Super Elliott store a bike was placed at the front window as a display (sorry just found images now)
It seems to be the original track bike of Jack Conyers, Super Elliott champion.
It is complete with wood wheels, BSA cranks & pedals.
Behind is a most likely publicity shot of the Shop back in it's day, there is a Tandem, numerous loop ladies bikes, saddles under the counter, tricycles, racing bikes on stands at the rear and also a motorbike. This shop catered for all cycles.
I do know that motorbikes were produced by many other cycle dealers at the time eg. Lewis and Bullock so this may well likely be an Elliott (anyone know?)
Enjoy picts of this beautiful bike of its day,

June

Postby June » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:17 pm

A Fabulous List of memorobilia. I`ll go dig out my Dad`s books and photos from Elliots in the 30`s